gettin stressed out...

Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:17 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: gettin stressed out...

Originally posted by andrea874
Its not like theyre paying me later for the work I do now, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Basically, a friend works at the place, and I came in a few times with him just to help him out and basically kill time. It was really enjoyable, so I kept doing it. Then someone got fired, and they asked me if I'd take the position when I can... starting at the normal starting salary for someone in that position, like starting from nothing as a new employee.

I'm like so scared right now...
By someone getting fired and you being offered the position when you can work would indicate you are now occupying a position that someone authorized to work would normally be filling. They have not hired a replacement because you are already filling that position and doing the workload.
Patrick
Old Aug 6th 2004, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by inquisitive40
By someone getting fired and you being offered the position when you can work would indicate you are now occupying a position that someone authorized to work would normally be filling. They have not hired a replacement because you are already filling that position and doing the workload.
Patrick
Actually thats not true. I'm not doing that job at all. That person is still working there. Theyre fired, but they're not terminated for awhile. Once they are gone, other people are going to cover the position. What I started volunteering doing is something different.

Basically, what I'm going to do right now, is just stop going in. I'm sure the job offer will still stand, because it wasnt like "as a condition of you getting this job, you work for us for free in the meantime"... it was more like "we like you, you work well with the people here, you're awesome, want a job?". And, if the offer disappears in the meantime - well it would have been a great job but its not the end of the world. Now that I know I'm doing something wrong, I'm not about to keep doing it.

The weird thing is that the employer is very aware of my status, schooled in immigration issues (hes currently got someone down here on an H1B, working for him), and actually asked his immigration attorneys if it would be an issue, and they told him it was fine...

Not something I want to risk though
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:58 am
Mr.Parker

inquisitive40 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by andrea874
    > > Its not like theyre
    > paying me later for the work I do now, I don't know if that makes a
    > difference.
    > >
    > > Basically, a friend works at the place, and I came in
    > a few times with him just to help him out and basically kill time. It
    > was really enjoyable, so I kept doing it. Then someone got fired, and
    > they asked me if I'd take the position when I can... starting at the
    > normal starting salary for someone in that position, like starting from
    > nothing as a new employee.
    > >