Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

pete86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Hello,

*edit* appologise if this is in the wrong section, but it covers so many topics it was hard to decide!*

New member here, so hi all! Been looking for a forum like this for a while now, and this forum seems to be just what im looking for.

I'm after some straight forward advise on emigration to USA, and i have alot of questions which seem very hard to get answers for elsewhere. I thought i would outline my current situation/intentions and ask questions as i go along.

Background:
Well im 22, and im currently working as an Architectural Technologist, while also undertaking a BA Hons degree in Architectural Technology - i am in my 5th and final year. My parents emigrated to USA about 4.5 years ago, applying for a 'green card' which was sponsered by my auntie who has lived out there for 20+ years. Unfortunately, when they got the visa, I had just started my job, so decided to 'see it out' here and get qualified (still not sure if this was the better move?)

Intentions:
Well to emigrate obviously! lol But i would like to know the best way to go about it.

Which is the best visa to go for, as i know there are many?

Should i go with a clean slate (i.e. me, my visa and a few changes of clothes) or would it be best to settle down for a while after i have qualified?

I was also thinking about trying to buy a house before going. Then when i go i can keep the house to rent out while im in USA, thus giving me something to come back to. What is the general consensus ragarding this type of thing?

Then there is my career. For anyone who knows about the construction industry, how easy will it be for me to find a job out there? Can anyone give details on how the equivilant job in USA compares, i.e. salery, building regulations etc. Will i need to gain further qualifications?

What else do i need to consider before taking such a huge step?

Additional Problems:
Well I have a girlfreind of 2.25 years, who I love alot. The topic of emigration has come up alot, even in the early stages of the relationship. While the relationship was still young I put across the idea that 'maybe' sometime in the future i would want to emigrate. At the time she made out she was up for the idea. However, now time has moved on I have made the point that I am 99% certain I want to do this, but it turns out she was never really that keen to do it herself, and was just nodding along before. As you can imagine, many an argument has broken out about this, with loyalty for each other, regrets, and resentment being the main focal points. Well i've decided that I want to do this no matter what - I don't want to regret not doing it in the future.

In an ideal world, i will successfully convice my GF to leave her family and come with me. My question is, what are her options to emigrate? I know if we were married, my parents can sponser both of us to go over together, but assuming we wont be getting married soon, what can she do to get herself out there? She has no relatives out there, and she currently works as a travel agent for Thomas Cook.

Well i must appologise for the essay, but i've been itching to find out this info for AGES!!

Any comments/advice welcome and many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by pete86; Oct 28th 2008 at 3:33 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General advise wanted - Emigrating to USA to join parents

Originally Posted by pete86
Which is the best visa to go for, as i know there are many?
Hi and welcome.

I think that from what you've told us, your only option for a visa is to get your parents to sponsor you for a family based green card. Are they citizens or just LPR's? That will affect which category you'll be in and therefore how long your wait time is likely to be.

Also, you mention the girlfriend but be aware that if you do convince her to go with you then you'd need to be married in order for that to happen (if she's just your partner then she couldn't go with you) - but that if you are married then your wait time will be much longer as you'll be in a different category.

That's about all I know I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to help you shortly.

Good luck.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If they are LPR's I think they could only sponsor him if he was unmarried.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 28th 2008 at 3:45 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but if they are USC's then they can sponsor him if he's married can't they? (albeit fourth preference category so would delay things somewhat!).

Assume they're not USC's yet but they may be by the time they petition for him.

Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If your unmarried they can file for you as a citizen or permanent citizen
expect the process to take 8 plus years at this time ..

If you are married and they are citizens.. around the same time

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_4371.html

Gives you plenty of time to get on with your career ..and get some experience ..and have a happy girlfriend ..
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick replies!

Im not sure weather my rents are citizens or perminant residents, if i was to guess i would say PRs, but i will find out and get back to you.

Ray, so do you mean it will be 8 years or more weather im married or single AND weather my parents are USCs or PRs? Didn't quite get that and how can i have a happy girlfriend when she knows i'm going to move abroad, either leaving her or her leaving her family!! Hence my question about not going with my parents earlier
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ray, so do you mean it will be 8 years or more weather im married or single AND weather my parents are USCs or PRs? Didn't quite get that and how can i have a happy girlfriend when she knows i'm going to move abroad, either leaving her or her leaving her family!! Hence my question about not going with my parents earlier
Depends on the various circustances

She will be happy for at least 8 years probably more ...A lot of things change in that many years
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

well im sure you dont want to go down the relationship couciling road, and nor do I! so I forget about that for now.

So would the advise be to get my parents to apply for sponsorship now then? or wait untill we get married (which might be a few years or not at all!!)?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:29 pm
Ray

well im sure you dont want to go down the relationship couciling road, and nor do I! so I forget about that for now.

So would the advise be to get my parents to apply for sponsorship now then? or wait untill we get married (which might be a few years or not at all!!)?
That is your decision ....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

So would the advice be to get my parents to apply for sponsorship now then? or wait untill we get married (which might be a few years or not at all!!)?
I've adjusted a typo/spelling mistake. Pedant that I am...
The earlier you start the earlier you finish. If you don't start at all then you never finish...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

so do you mean it will be 8 years or more weather im married or single AND weather my parents are USCs or PRs? Didn't quite get that
This may help explain the different categories to you:

Family-based visa applicants are divided into 5 different categories:

(a) the immediate relative category includes (1) spouses of U.S. citizens; (2) unmarried children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens; (3) parents of U.S. citizens who are over 21 years old; and (4) widows or widowers of U.S. citizens;

(b) the 1st preference category includes unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens;

(c) the 2nd preference category is divided into 2 subcategories: 2A which includes spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of LPR’s and 2B which includes the unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of LPR’s;

(d) the 3rd preference category includes married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens; and

(e) the 4th preference category includes the brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

Depending on whether your parents are USC's or LPR's and whether or not you are married, you will either be 1st pref, 2B pref or 3rd pref. The further down the list you are, the longer it takes I believe.

Good luck.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

fair point, Ray
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:53 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
The earlier you start the earlier you finish. If you don't start at all then you never finish...

Agree.........never to early to start.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:57 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by AlanR
Maybe not... if he filed as single ..then changed to married it may
send him back to the start ...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This may help explain the different categories to you:

Family-based visa applicants are divided into 5 different categories:

(a) the immediate relative category includes (1) spouses of U.S. citizens; (2) unmarried children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens; (3) parents of U.S. citizens who are over 21 years old; and (4) widows or widowers of U.S. citizens;

(b) the 1st preference category includes unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of U.S. citizens;

(c) the 2nd preference category is divided into 2 subcategories: 2A which includes spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of LPR’s and 2B which includes the unmarried sons and daughters over the age of 21 of LPR’s;

(d) the 3rd preference category includes married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens; and

(e) the 4th preference category includes the brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

Depending on whether your parents are USC's or LPR's and whether or not you are married, you will either be 1st pref, 2B pref or 3rd pref. The further down the list you are, the longer it takes I believe.

Good luck.
That was very useful cheers. I dont see on there though anything about LPR's and married children... so if i was married then my parents would HAVE to be USCs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.