GC w/ Spouse US Citizen

Old Feb 1st 2001, 8:04 am
News Group User

Hi,

My wife is a US citizen and I am going to be applying for the GC with her as the sponsor.
I will be sending one packet to the local office with the I130, 485, 765, 864, and G325.
Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to give a medical exam and submit the form I693 along with the packet? If
it matters, I am currently working for a company in the US on an H1B visa.
Previously I was on an F1 visa and have been continuously residing in the US for the
past 5 1/2 years.
2. After I send the packet, how much time does it take for the EAD to be approved?
After the EAD is approved, I can change jobs just like a US citizen/permanent
resident, right?

Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 1st 2001, 8:06 am
News Group User

Also, I am living and working in Chicago, if it matters.

Thanks!

> Hi,
>
> My wife is a US citizen and I am going to be applying for the GC with her
as
> the sponsor. I will be sending one packet to the local office with the
I130,
> 485, 765, 864, and G325. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Do I need to give a medical exam and submit the form I693 along with
the
> packet? If it matters, I am currently working for a company in the US on
an
> H1B visa. Previously I was on an F1 visa and have been continuously
residing
> in the US for the past 5 1/2 years.
> 2. After I send the packet, how much time does it take for the EAD to be approved? After
> the EAD is approved, I can change jobs just like a US citizen/permanent resident,
> right?
>
>
> Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 1st 2001, 9:44 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

News Group User wrote:

> My wife is a US citizen and I am going to be applying for the GC with her as the
> sponsor. I will be sending one packet to the local office with the I130, 485, 765, 864,
> and G325. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Do I need to give a medical exam and submit the form I693 along with the packet?

The requirement for enclosing a medical exam with Form I-485 at an INS district office is
*specific to that office.* Some offices do require it, and some don't. You must find out
for sure about INS Chicago. The answer is probably not, because the waiting time between
I-485 filing and interview is about 2 years. See
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm.

If it matters, I am currently working for a company in the US on an
> H1B visa. Previously I was on an F1 visa and have been continuously residing in the US
> for the past 5 1/2 years.
> 2. After I send the packet, how much time does it take for the EAD to be approved? After
> the EAD is approved, I can change jobs just like a US citizen/permanent resident,
> right?

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm says 90-120 days for Chicago. Yes, you can
change jobs legally.

Old Feb 1st 2001, 10:03 am
MoonRose13

Hello,

<< Do I need to give a medical exam and submit the form I693 along with the packet? >>

As far as I know, you must wait for the INS to give you a list of physicians. You cannot
go to just any doctor. At least, this was the way it was at the US Embassy in Singapore.

Love and Blessed Be, Theresa

Old Feb 1st 2001, 10:43 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:

> News Group User wrote:
>
> > My wife is a US citizen and I am going to be applying for the GC with her as the
> > sponsor. I will be sending one packet to the local office with the I130, 485, 765,
> > 864, and G325. Here are my questions:
> >
> > 1. Do I need to give a medical exam and submit the form I693 along with the packet?
>
> The requirement for enclosing a medical exam with Form I-485 at an INS district office
> is *specific to that office.* Some offices do require it, and some don't. You must find
> out for sure about INS Chicago. The answer is probably not, because the waiting time
> between I-485 filing and interview is about 2 years. See
> http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm.

I missed pointing out that if the medical exam results are not filed with the I-485, then
the medical exam results will be carried in to the interview.