Is this game over?

Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this game over?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
J Fong...a colleague of Mr Folinsky is often recommended on BE. I think you me be able to have a free initial phone consult with him.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...aigfong-84355/
J now practices with Romben Aquino under the name of "Fong & & Aquino. They are in Pasadena CA
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
J now practices with Romben Aquino under the name of "Fong & & Aquino. They are in Pasadena CA
thank you, I had already googled him. He has some great reviews!
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:51 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
it is not totally obvious that a spent drug conviction should be declared, because it is not a CIMT, which is what the questions directly ask about.
The current ESTA questions are a bit different than just a couple years ago. The questions asked about any arrest or conviction for a controlled substance. The controlled substance part of the question is much more clear than the CIMT part because determining which offenses constitute a CIMT can be extremely complicated. With that said, I'm not overly concerned about the OP's situation provided there is competent legal guidance.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=shiversaint;12340745]How have you concluded he's inadmissible due to unlawful presence? Has that been decided already?

I traveled on an ESTA in a very similar circumstance and was only found inadmissible on the basis of the drug conviction]

When you travelled on an ESTA in similar circumstance, how was there not a misrepresentation finding if you ticked 'NO' to drugs violations?

I am struggling at the moment because a finding of misrepresentation to gain a material benefit will mean my husband can not adjust status (as we dont have the qualifying USC for i601 waiver), and the most scary thing for me is what will happen when my children reach 21 and can no longer stay as L1 beneficiaries.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 4:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They will have to leave the US...unless they can obtain a visa themselves. They could get a student visa if they went to college...perhaps they could then secure a job which would allow them to obtain a visa to stay in the US. Or they may meet an USC and marry.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my passport back and got wilful misrep waiver and controlled substance waiver.

I last went to the US 2 years ago.

At my interview the CO never even asked if I knew or not he just said you are inadmissible for these two things and I am reccomending you for a waiver on both and it won’t add any time to your wait having the need for two.

We are in very similar situations and I have done a stack of research. I have come to the conclusion through this whole process over the last 6 months you can drive yourself mad second guessing. It really is true when they say no two cases are the same and neither is the outcome.

My advice is just go through the process l, roll the dice and see what happens. That’s what I have learnt trough my own experience....

I may go and hate it and be back in a year. I may get a great offer back in the UK. I make get a great offer elsewhere in the world. I may win the lottery....

Life is short and who knows what is going to happen next.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noodler
I got my passport back and got wilful misrep waiver and controlled substance waiver.

I last went to the US 2 years ago.

At my interview the CO never even asked if I knew or not he just said you are inadmissible for these two things and I am reccomending you for a waiver on both and it won’t add any time to your wait having the need for two.

We are in very similar situations and I have done a stack of research. I have come to the conclusion through this whole process over the last 6 months you can drive yourself mad second guessing. It really is true when they say no two cases are the same and neither is the outcome.

My advice is just go through the process l, roll the dice and see what happens. That’s what I have learnt trough my own experience....

I may go and hate it and be back in a year. I may get a great offer back in the UK. I make get a great offer elsewhere in the world. I may win the lottery....

Life is short and who knows what is going to happen next.
yes you are correct, We were in NYC earlier this year. It is just so frustating that had he had known he was erroneously travelling on an ESTA - he could have applied for b2 + waiver and legally still been allowed to travel all these years.
It is slightly different for us in that, we know we want to stay there. We have close friends and (not immediate) family and it is already a home-from-home so to speak.

thank you for your reply and I wish u all the best...
Old Mar 13th 2018, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=karenkaren1;12349174]
Originally Posted by shiversaint
How have you concluded he's inadmissible due to unlawful presence? Has that been decided already?

I traveled on an ESTA in a very similar circumstance and was only found inadmissible on the basis of the drug conviction]

When you travelled on an ESTA in similar circumstance, how was there not a misrepresentation finding if you ticked 'NO' to drugs violations?

I am struggling at the moment because a finding of misrepresentation to gain a material benefit will mean my husband can not adjust status (as we dont have the qualifying USC for i601 waiver), and the most scary thing for me is what will happen when my children reach 21 and can no longer stay as L1 beneficiaries.
Update: My husband has just left the Belfast consulate after being given a letter stating he is ineligible for a visa.... it then lists a number of potential reasons why but the ONLY box ticked is 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(11) violation of any laws relating to a controlled substance.
This misrepresentation (and other) boxes have NOT been ticked. Does this mean he is ok? I think the CO was ambiguous with him and didn't clearly explain the process. He just said he cant issue the visa but then gave him this letter.

Is it presumptuous to continue to make plans for our move?

thanks
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1

Update: My husband has just left the Belfast consulate after being given a letter stating he is ineligible for a visa.... it then lists a number of potential reasons why but the ONLY box ticked is 212(a)(2)(A)(i)(11) violation of any laws relating to a controlled substance.
This misrepresentation (and other) boxes have NOT been ticked. Does this mean he is ok? I think the CO was ambiguous with him and didn't clearly explain the process. He just said he cant issue the visa but then gave him this letter.

thanks
Did the officer tell him he was being recommended for a waiver? If he didn't, then it's game over.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

The officer was ambiguous but the letter he was given implies he is. It states that currently taking approx 2-3 months to process waivers and it gives him a case number. It says 'we cant issue you with a visa until the DHS approve your waiver' so my question is, is the rest a formality?

Last edited by karenkaren1; Mar 13th 2018 at 12:08 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The officer was ambiguous but the letter he was given implies he is. It states that currently taking approx 2-3 months to process waivers and it gives him a case number,
In which case you can keep planning your move - which is good news! Generally speaking, when a waiver is recommended by the interviewing officer is it usually granted, it just takes some time to process.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

I got a question asking what I had done to rehabilitate myself. My conviction was in 1996 and I just put down that I wasn’t a habitual user and didn’t smoke marijuana again after this incident.

I got two ticks one being for wilful misrepresentation and one for the possession.

I have spoken to a lawyer about treabferring to green card and he said it is a whole new aplicatikn. They will look at all the facts and if they find wilful misrepresentation we can challenge it.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noodler
I got a question asking what I had done to rehabilitate myself. My conviction was in 1996 and I just put down that I wasn’t a habitual user and didn’t smoke marijuana again after this incident.

I got two ticks one being for wilful misrepresentation and one for the possession.

I have spoken to a lawyer about treabferring to green card and he said it is a whole new aplicatikn. They will look at all the facts and if they find wilful misrepresentation we can challenge it.
yes I also got told a completely separate more strict criteria for immigrant waiver and GC
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

yes I also got told a completely separate more strict criteria for immigrant waiver and GC
My lawyer did say it will help that I have been living here and paid a lot of money in to the system.

They take a lot of things in to account.

Long road but it will be what it will be.

Been in Colorado 4 months now and love it.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=karenkaren1;12461610]

This misrepresentation (and other) boxes have NOT been ticked. Does this mean he is ok?
Does this mean he is ok to do what?

I think the CO was ambiguous with him and didn't clearly explain the process. He just said he cant issue the visa but then gave him this letter.
The consular officer is not there to make your husband's or your life easier. He is there to see that those who apply for visas to the US meet the criteria. Your husband did not. It is not the CO's job to walk your husband through the waiver steps.

thanks
In my opinion, yes, it is. Waivers are given all the time but there is no guarantee of receiving an approval, even if the CO were to have come out and said "submit the waiver application and you will be approved". He cannot do that because he does not make the decision.
Seek advice from legal counsel.

Did they retain his passport?

Last edited by Rete; Mar 13th 2018 at 1:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.