Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Frustration at Sponsering someone on a H1B Visa :(

Frustration at Sponsering someone on a H1B Visa :(

Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustration at Sponsering someone on a H1B Visa :(

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why? Because former President Bush signed the "No Child Left Behind Act" and it is now mandatory for school boards across the US to deal with children who, years ago, would have been shunted off to "special" schools where they likely belong. Mainstream schools don't have the resources to deal with such children... nor should they have to.
Tell me about it; my wife is a teacher and it's crazy what she's had to put up with. She finally had two children removed from her class (and the school), but only after physical acts of violence were attempted on her and other children. Shameful. Still, the No Child Left Behind Act is dead now as the President signed the Every Student Succeeds Act into law, so here's hoping for positive change in regards to accountability and generally elsewhere.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it; my wife is a teacher and it's crazy what she's had to put up with. She finally had two children removed from her class (and the school), but only after physical acts of violence were attempted on her and other children. Shameful. Still, the No Child Left Behind Act is dead now as the President signed the Every Student Succeeds Act into law, so here's hoping for positive change in regards to accountability and generally elsewhere.
Other issues will still louse things up for teachers, schools, and school boards - once data gets out about who is at the bottom of the education heap, and therefore not being given "a fair crack of the whip". A book called "The Bell Curve" is an interesting and informative read.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 21st 2015 at 3:51 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

the President signed the Every Student Succeeds Act into law, so here's hoping for positive change in regards to accountability and generally elsewhere.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 5:21 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the educational philosophy of Judge Smails...

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think we need to be careful when comparing youths who just can't behave themselves against someone who is autistic.

I agree with a previous comment that at times, it can be over-diagnosed, however, I would limit that to the likes of ADHD etc. Although I do not have first-hand experience in the USA, as a former Police Officer in the UK I do. I can't tell you the amount of incidents I would go to where the kid "had ADHD"...whatever happened to kids being kids. It's too easy to just say they have it and fob them off with a tablet.

Secondly, I also agree that depending how far the kid is on the spectrum, that they should not be in a regular classroom environment. It's not fair on the kids or teachers.

Taking everything into account, there is still a need and no matter how you look at it, there is a shortage. I guess until the Government agrees, nothing will change.

In terms of a "non-profit", although they are not subject to the quota, are the isa's still processed every April?
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visa's

Anytime for a non profit
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind there is a lobby against bringing medical staff in from abroad, there used to be a specific visa for RNs called H-1A and it was scrapped and replaced with H-1C which has a quota of only 500, distributed regionally. American nurses didn't want the competition.

Also, in the CFTA and NAFTA they limited the entry of MDs to "teaching" professions only.

The differential between what an RN or MD in various professions can earn in the US compared with other developed countries is enormous, and they don't want people upsetting the apple cart.

Strangely, a non-immigrant could do E-2 and bring in therapists as E-2 employees.