Wikiposts

Frequent visits on VWP

Old Aug 14th 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

tiktak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent visits on VWP

Hi, I am not a British citizen, but I have seen no other forum that actually give polite, but honest answers to its users. So here I am. I reside in one of the Nordic countries and since December last year I have visited the US twice for 6 weeks on each visit. First time I went with my sister and the second visit was to see my boyfriend who is a us citizen. (and of course to see more of of the country) I plan to visit again after 3 months out for about 7 weeks. Will this be a problem? I know no exact answer can be given as it all depends on the POE. I have strong ties to my home country, including a job, a house I rent, more than enough savings to support myself during my visit, and pets, who will be staying with my mom meanwhile. I know it is a bad idea to say I am visiting my boyfriend, but isn't the truth always the best policy (or not?) (seeing him is not the only reason I want to come as I want to see more of Texas, there is just never enough time ) We have no exact plans about the future, I am certainly not moving to the US, and right now we are quite happy with me just traveling back and forth. But if this will pose a problem something has to change.

Thanks for any answers!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent visits on VWP

Originally Posted by tiktak
I plan to visit again after 3 months out for about 7 weeks. Will this be a problem?
Probably not.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Usual advice is to spend more time out of the US than in, though that's only a general rule and not a measure. It's hard to tell what and when from your post but you've said about 3 months in the US in the last 9, roughly? If you were to do your next trip now, that would be 4.5 months in 10-11 which might raise an eyebrow! The POE officer might ask how you're able to be away from your job for so long.

Can your BF visit you? I'm sure he'd like to visit your country just as much as you want to explore Texas and the US!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Usual advice is to spend more time out of the US than in...
Which is precisely what she's doing. She's waiting 3 months before making another attempt... and her last visit was only for 6 weeks.

... though that's only a general rule and not a measure.
It may be "only a general rule" but it seems to work consistently for 95+% of the people who use the VWP.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Which is precisely what she's doing. She's waiting 3 months before making another attempt... and her last visit was only for 6 weeks.
Two sets of 6 weeks in the last 9ish months, now adding another 6-7 weeks but we don't know if that's 3 months from now, or now - with the former better than the latter.

It may be "only a general rule" but it seems to work consistently for 95+% of the people who use the VWP.
As a "general rule" you're right most of the time. The point was to be aware it wasn't a hard and fast rule - one could "abide" by it and still be declined entry stemming from that issue.

Last edited by GeoffM; Aug 15th 2011 at 1:57 am. Reason: Quotes
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A general comment: the decision to admit or not admit can be quite subjective. The front line inspectors for the Dark Forces will often pick-up on visual clues. Of course, there is the nervousness in approaching the inspector -- but that is often normal. However, another thing is that it is not all that easy to hide is the anticipation of the first time alone with a boyfriend in several months.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is a bad idea to say I am visiting my boyfriend ...
I have been visiting my boyfriend roughly every three months for the last two years. I always state that as my purpose and nobody has ever so much as raised an eyebrow. You are making longer trips than I do (mine are usually around 3 weeks long), which might attract more attention, but as a general point I don't think it is a bad idea.

Next time I go I will have to say I am visiting my fiancé. Will have to see if that turns the heat up at all .
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:54 am
Just Joined

So it looks like I will be alright? I would love for my boyfriend to visit me - but he is in plain English: broke! And Scandinavia isn't known to be cheap place to visit.

About the job situation: I work at a place that is quite understanding of me coming and going. Right now because I am in a decent financial situation so I only need to work summers, some weekends and holidays. This is fine with my employee, (hospital) This I understand will look very alien to an American border officer.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

I would love for my boyfriend to visit me - but he is in plain English: broke! And Scandinavia isn't known to be cheap place to visit.
Could you pay for his flight (since you would presumably be paying for your own to go the other way anyway)? It's true Scandinavia is not cheap for visitors (I once got some noodles and an OJ in a 7/11 in Norway for the equivalent of about $11!), but if you pay for or contribute to the flight costs and he can stay with you for free it wouldn't be so bad. You might be perfectly fine with your plan to go to the US, as Ian said, but since you are making reasonably lengthy trips it couldn't hurt to space them out a bit more by having him visit you.

Last edited by Apfelkuchen; Aug 15th 2011 at 4:30 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
(I once got some noodles and an OJ in a 7/11 in Norway for the equivalent of about $11!), but if you pay for or contribute to the flight costs and he can stay with you for free it wouldn't be so bad. You might be perfectly fine with your plan to go to the US, as Ian said, bit since you are making reasonably lengthy trips it couldn't hurt to space them out a bit more by having him visit you.
11 dollars! yikes, can't say I am surprised though. One pint of beer is about 12 dollar. I usually tell people, because of the costs, to visit somewhere else in Europe unless they are crazy about nature. Anyway; maybe it is a good idea that he visits me this time, I'll discuss it with him. Thanks for your reply.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

And Scandinavia isn't known to be cheap place to visit.

I only need to work summers, some weekends and holidays.
A connection me thinks?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
A connection me thinks?
What do you mean?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

What do you mean?
Perhaps he suspects that your job involves extorting money out of tourists for overpriced beer and noodles, and that is why you can afford not to work much .
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Perhaps he suspects that your job involves extorting money out of tourists for overpriced beer and noodles, and that is why you can afford not to work much .
Haha, that is what I thought. Just wanted to be sure..
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:11 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not.

Ian
For what it's worth, I agree with Ian.

I made many visits to the US on the VWP, sometimes four or more in a 12 month period. I only experienced problems once, and that was after doing so for a couple of years.

IMHO I think you will be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.