Frequent visits to the US

Old May 29th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

murfeenewton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent visits to the US

Hi brand new here and already learning loads by reading some of the posts.Met a lovely lady and a top group of friends when I visited USA last year for 3 weeks. Have since been back for a great month and intend to go for three months later in the year and then more frequently after that. I have a standard visa waiver but am being told that as I travel more frequently I will head into trouble. Bit naive around this! Have no need or intention of working whilst I am over there and can prove ownership of property and family over here. Can anybody start to steer me please?
Old May 29th 2012, 9:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brand new, Been here a year in New Orleans

Originally Posted by murfeenewton
Can anybody start to steer me please?
Head over to the US immigration section to BE and have a read down the thread titles as there have been at least 2 threads on this very subject within the last couple of days
Old May 29th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Brand new, Been here a year in New Orleans

Sorry am really green at this. Is that on the forum index or do I have to search elsewhere
Old May 29th 2012, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brand new, Been here a year in New Orleans

Sorry am really green at this. Is that on the forum index or do I have to search elsewhere
to BE.

It's OK...I've moved your posts into a new thread in the US Immigration Forum. Our members who frequent this forum will be able to advise you.
Old May 29th 2012, 1:51 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent visits to the US

What do you mean by "then more frequently after that". 89 days in and 1 out, followed by 89 days in? How long do you plan to stay and how long between trips? What is your income source? Do you have a job? What do you own? If it is a house, do you live in it or rent it out? How old are you?

It's not possible to predict an outcome because it will be up to someone's discretion, but details are important to put things into context.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:40 am
Just Joined

I am 52 a retired senior police officer. I do some consultancy work but mainly rely on a good pension. I own my house mortgage free in the Uk and my adult son still lives there. Am not planning the in out thing at all. At most will be six months a year but obviously can be flexible depending on what they allow. Am really after some advice as the best visa to have ?
Old May 30th 2012, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

As you are retired,you will have a better chance for a B1/B2 visa than a non-retired person.
I travel to the US every two months without a problem.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am 52 a retired senior police officer. I do some consultancy work but mainly rely on a good pension. I own my house mortgage free in the Uk and my adult son still lives there. Am not planning the in out thing at all. At most will be six months a year but obviously can be flexible depending on what they allow. Am really after some advice as the best visa to have ?
Do look into obtaining health insurance...especially for a visit of 6 months.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:55 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The B1/B2 is less risky because of your overall situation, but not without risk. The VWP may even be less risky if you don't stay too long each time, and not stack too many trips close together. Be prepared to prove that you have a home and ties outside the US, be forthright, and be able to prove you have the funds to visit so much without working in the US.

I wouldn't recommend bouncing up to Canada and back looking for more time as the 90 days runs out.

You don't want to try to be the guy who is so wealthy that he can be on vacation for half of the year, but so cheap you can't go to your "home".
Old May 30th 2012, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks crg and everybody else top advice.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You only really need a visa if you plan on staying more than 90 days at a a time. However if you spend more than six months total a year in the US then CBP will usually decide that you don't have non-immigrant anymore because of the total duration of stay and deny entry (based on the circumstances you've described). Getting a visa can actually make things worse because then they get more suspicious, as they'll wonder why you aren't using the VWP.

However, if you plan on staying more than 90 days for any one trip then you should get a visa.

can prove ownership of property
Doesn't hurt to have proof of this if you make frequent/long visits, saves an argument. Copy of the deed, bank statements (i.e. proof of funds), return ticket, etc.

Bear in mind what they're looking for is non-immigrant intent. More evidence you have the simpler it gets.