Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Four B2 US visa Denials and now British Citizen

Four B2 US visa Denials and now British Citizen

Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:07 am
Just Joined

slough_boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Four B2 US visa Denials and now British Citizen

Hi all,
I need some advice because I have very bad history of USA visa denials.
I had 4 B2 visa denials on non VWP country passport. (asian)

First denial - 2004 home country
2- 2011 London
3- 2012 London
4- 2014 London
always same reason no ties 214(b).
I am British Citizen now since march 2015 and I have full time permanent job since 2010 with very good salary.
Im planing to go USA using British passport next month for holidays.
Guys, Please advise what is the best option, ESTA or B2 visa?

Last edited by slough_boy; Sep 18th 2015 at 9:20 am. Reason: missing one sentence.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four B2 US visa Denials and now British Citizen

Originally Posted by slough_boy
Hi all,
I need some advice because I have very bad history of USA visa denials.
I had 4 B2 visa denials on non VWP country passport. (asian)

First denial - 2004 home country
2- 2011 London
3- 2012 London
4- 2014 London
always same reason no ties 214(b).
I am British Citizen now since march 2015 and I have full time permanent job since 2010 with very good salary.
Im planing to go USA using British passport next month for holidays.
Guys, Please advise what is the best option, ESTA or B2 visa?
You've nothing to lose to try the ESTA first other than the fee which is about $6 for a rejection, whereas applying for a B-2 as a VWP-eligible national of working age is highly likely to get a denial.

You'll need to declare that you've had visa denials before, even though they were on your other nationality.

Good luck, and let us know if you get the ESTA. I think I've seen other people in a similar situation to you report success on this board so it'll be a useful data point for others if you do too.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Please advise what is the best option, ESTA or B2 visa?
The "best option" is the one that works for you... and you won't know which that is until you try one. I agree with rpjs - try ESTA first. You must declare the previous visa denials... but if ESTA is subsequently approved you're okay to travel.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
You've nothing to lose to try the ESTA first other than the fee which is about $6 for a rejection, whereas applying for a B-2 as a VWP-eligible national of working age is highly likely to get a denial. ....
The US immigration system is set up to require visas for "high risk" countries and to encourage non-visa (VWP) travel for lower risk countries (those countries for which the VWP is available). You would be well advised to bear this in mind, and therefore make use of the VWP (assuming your ESTA is approved).

If your ESTA is not approved, I would be inclined to wait another 12 months and try ESTA again before you try your luck with another visa application, after all, your last visa denial was only last year.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Guys , I appreciate your time.
I'm little bit confuse , if esta approved and I travel then I may face big issue at JFK border control as I have 4 visa refusals, a high risk of immigration.( likely deportation).

What i assume if I try B2 visa and lucky enough to get then It may have less impact of my refusals of the past at border control.
I think issuance of visa means Visa officer has accepted i have strong ties but in esta will not prove any ties and i have to prove at border control.
Yes I understand having B2 visa will not guaranty entry but what i think it is better than ESTA?

Agree ..?

I m in UK for 8 years, have family and job, my salary is 25K+ and british citizen . will it not make a difference at this time?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you're on a B2 or ESTA, the ultimate decision is with the man at the desk when you arrive.
On ESTA, with a UK passport, you're IMHO less likely to draw any extra attention, than if you're on a B2 from a VWP country (They might think you're trying to stay longer than 90 days)

In your shoes, I'd definitely try and get an ESTA first.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mamasue
Whether you're on a B2 or ESTA, the ultimate decision is with the man at the desk when you arrive.
On ESTA, with a UK passport, you're IMHO less likely to draw any extra attention, than if you're on a B2 from a VWP country (They might think you're trying to stay longer than 90 days)

In your shoes, I'd definitely try and get an ESTA first.
Thanks for your quick friendly advice.
Yes, it is negative side of having B2 on VWP.

any more advises from other senior members..?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm little bit confuse , if esta approved and I travel then I may face big issue at JFK border control as I have 4 visa refusals, a high risk of immigration.( likely deportation).

What i assume if I try B2 visa and lucky enough to get then It may have less impact of my refusals of the past at border control.
I think issuance of visa means Visa officer has accepted i have strong ties but in esta will not prove any ties and i have to prove at border control.
Yes I understand having B2 visa will not guaranty entry but what i think it is better than ESTA?

Agree ..? ....
No, my advice is still as above.

You want to fit in with the herd. Most British citizens, the overwhelming majority, use ESTA/VWP. Please stop trying to over-think the strategy and what "looks best".
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

True, but that will apply equally whether you get an ESTA or B-2.

Agree ..?
No, I agree with mamasue, you'll be less odd coming in on an ESTA, should you get it, than on a B-2, should you get it.

I m in UK for 8 years, have family and job, my salary is 25K+ and british citizen . will it not make a difference at this time?
Hopefully yes, these are all good things.

If I were you I'd say trying for an ESTA first and using it would be a no-brainer. If you're eligible for an ESTA, then getting a B-2 is often very difficult indeed, and if you got an ESTA then tried for a B-2 and are denied, you have to resubmit the ESTA declaring the denial and you'll probably find the ESTA denied too. So don't try for a B-2 *unless* you don't get the ESTA.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
.... and you'll probably find the ESTA denied too. So don't try for a B-2 *unless* you don't get the ESTA.
As I said above, having already had three visa denials in the last three years, if his ESTA is denied I would recommend that he waits 12 months, and tries ESTA again because if he gets a fourth B-2 denial in four years he is only digging himself deeper into the pit.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 18th 2015 at 8:17 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for your expert advises.

upon your precious and friendly advises , I concluded to apply ESTA, If approved then fine , if not, Ill go for B2 next month.
I'll keep you update .
I have British Citizen for only six months, should I wait further to apply or OK to go ?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

upon your precious and friendly advises , I concluded to apply ESTA, If approved then fine , if not, Ill go for B2 next month.
I'll keep you update .
That isn't what you've been advised however. Why are you so desperate to get to the USA?

It's been explained to you that if you try ESTA now and it isn't approved, you should forget about travelling to the USA for the moment and wait at least 12 months from now before trying ESTA again. Only consider another B2 application if that second ESTA is denied in the future.

If your ESTA is denied now and you apply for another B2 visa next month it will almost certainly also be denied. Your new citizenship doesn't change anything.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I understand having B2 visa will not guaranty entry but what i think it is better than ESTA?
Quite simply... you're wrong. If you are a UK citizen and you apply for a B-2 visa when you are otherwise eligible to use ESTA, the visa will almost certainly be denied.

I concluded to apply ESTA, If approved then fine...
Ah... good.

... if not, Ill go for B2 next month.
With respect, that would be a really stupid thing to do. You asked for advice - I'm not sure why you want to ignore it!

Why are you so desperate to get to the US? When people are desperate, they usually make very poor decisions... and applying for a B-2 visa would be a very poor decision.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
That isn't what you've been advised however. Why are you so desperate to get to the USA?

It's been explained to you that if you try ESTA now and it isn't approved, you should forget about travelling to the USA for the moment and wait at least 12 months from now before trying ESTA again. Only consider another B2 application if that second ESTA is denied in the future.

If your ESTA is denied now and you apply for another B2 visa next month it will almost certainly also be denied. Your new citizenship doesn't change anything.
Thanks for ur reply.
it is may be stupid to say, In fact , im more interested in having 10 years validity USA visa on my British passport rather than physically present in USA.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for ur reply.
it is may be stupid to say, In fact , im more interested in having 10 years validity USA visa on my British passport rather than physically present in USA.
Well you said it, that is a pretty stupid reason to apply for a visa. Now that you have a British passport, it is much better to use ESTA if you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.