food stamps and green card

Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: food stamps and green card

Originally Posted by celinelopez
thanks S... so there's liability only if the sponsor doesn't qualify to collect food stamps?
Right. Otherwise the sponsor would cover the alien's needs so she wouldn't need food stamps.

You can read more about it in the link I provided.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Le...n_Guidance.pdf
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:39 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys. i have a friend who's wondering if applying for food stamps will affect her application for a permanent green card (she's currently on conditional status). what do you think?
Hey Celine

When I first got here Mark and I weren't doing well too well (financially speaking of course! ), we looked into getting food stamps, we called our local food stamp office and they said that Mark and Lexi (hubby and step-daughter) could get them but I couldn't. They told me that's what I needed a sponsor to migrate to the country.. they don't want any alien to become a public charge.
Hope that helps
Have a nice weekend.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Hey Celine

When I first got here Mark and I weren't doing well too well (financially speaking of course! ), we looked into getting food stamps, we called our local food stamp office and they said that Mark and Lexi (hubby and step-daughter) could get them but I couldn't. They told me that's what I needed a sponsor to migrate to the country.. they don't want any alien to become a public charge.
Hope that helps
Have a nice weekend.
Hyper,

Read the link I provided. The information does not agree with what you were told. I wonder if the food stamps folks also have a 1-800-misinformation line?
Old Oct 9th 2004, 5:28 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Hyper,

Read the link I provided. The information does not agree with what you were told. I wonder if the food stamps folks also have a 1-800-misinformation line?
LOL I will read it
Old Oct 10th 2004, 5:25 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: food stamps and green card

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Right. Otherwise the sponsor would cover the alien's needs so she wouldn't need food stamps.

You can read more about it in the link I provided.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Le...n_Guidance.pdf
thanks a lot!!! my friend appreciates it...
Old Oct 10th 2004, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

nabisco is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys. i have a friend who's wondering if applying for food stamps will affect her application for a permanent green card (she's currently on conditional status). what do you think?
an alien with and without a green card is not legally eligible for food stamps. Unless the alien presents fake id, the application will be denied. An alien is not eligible for food stamps for at least five years.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 6:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nabisco
an alien with and without a green card is not legally eligible for food stamps. Unless the alien presents fake id, the application will be denied. An alien is not eligible for food stamps for at least five years.
But the USC is....bit of an old thread, been answered
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

nabisco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
But the USC is....bit of an old thread, been answered
the usc has to report everyone living in his household. All members except the alien can recieve food stamps, however, these households are automatically reported to immigration by policy. This can affect future interviews and outcomes of cases.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nabisco
the usc has to report everyone living in his household. All members except the alien can recieve food stamps, however, these households are automatically reported to immigration by policy. This can affect future interviews and outcomes of cases.
Aye, and that's what the sponsor or co is all about. Anyone can get in a bind from time to time, and every little helps, even if it were for the USC, and only tempory.