food stamps and green card

Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:48 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Cool food stamps and green card

hey guys. i have a friend who's wondering if applying for food stamps will affect her application for a permanent green card (she's currently on conditional status). what do you think?

Last edited by celinelopez; Oct 8th 2004 at 10:49 am. Reason: grammar!
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: food stamps and green card

Originally Posted by celinelopez
hey guys. i have a friend who's wondering if applying for food stamps will affect her application for a permanent green card (she's currently on conditional status). what do you think?
Isn't that means tested? I thought the means tested one's were the ones that had to be repaid by the sponsor....I could be wrong in that again.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Is her marriage bona fide? Where is the sponsor?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:01 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Is her marriage bona fide? Where is the sponsor?
she and the sponsor (her husband) are both, unfortunately, unemployed.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:02 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't that means tested? I thought the means tested one's were the ones that had to be repaid by the sponsor....I could be wrong in that again.
i really dont know, that's what im trying to find out...
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

i really dont know, that's what im trying to find out...
I believe food stamps are one of the things the alien won't be eligible for. The USC might still be eligible, I'm not sure. This is one of the reasons the alien has a sponsor, so that there will be someone to "support" him/her if it gets to that point. It is still the responsibility of the person who completed and signed the I-864 to come up with a way to be financial responsible for him.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:13 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe food stamps are one of the things the alien won't be eligible for. The USC might still be eligible, I'm not sure. This is one of the reasons the alien has a sponsor, so that there will be someone to "support" him/her if it gets to that point. It is still the responsibility of the person who completed and signed the I-864 to come up with a way to be financial responsible for him.

Best Wishes,
Rene
thanks Rene. I'm trying to find out if she or her husband will get in trouble in any way if she applied for food stamps. thanks for your reply...
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

thanks Rene. I'm trying to find out if she or her husband will get in trouble in any way if she applied for food stamps. thanks for your reply...
OK, I looked up the information.

The sponsor and alien are both able to collect food stamps if the sponsor qualifies for food stamps. No liability to repay the means-tested benefits are required while the sponsor is collecting food stamps.

"Final regulations published by FNS on November 21, 2000 (65 FR 70169) clarified that a
State agency cannot request reimbursement from the sponsor during any period of time
that the sponsor receives food stamps. If a sponsor subsequently stops receiving food
stamps, the sponsor is still not liable for benefits issued to the sponsored immigrant
during the period of time the sponsor received food stamps."

You can read all about it here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Le...n_Guidance.pdf

As for removing conditions, I think the only standard is that the marriage was entered into in good faith. I don't think financial considerations come into it.

Last edited by sphyrapicus; Oct 8th 2004 at 11:35 am.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the USC will get in trouble for applying for food stamps. It's the alien that is not allowed to apply. At least, that's my take on it.

Good Luck to them!
Rene
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:34 am

OK, I looked up the information.

The sponsor and alien are both able to collect food stamps if the sponsor qualifies for food stamps. No liability to repay the means-tested benefits are required while the sponsor is collecting food stamps.

You can read all about it here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Le...n_Guidance.pdf

As for removing conditions, I think the only standard is that the marriage was entered into in good faith. I don't think financial considerations come into it.
Interesting! So what is it that the alien cannot apply for, and thus needed the I-864 for?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Interesting! So what is it that the alien cannot apply for, and thus needed the I-864 for?
HI

My husband applied for food stamps late last year when he was unemployed...the fact that I was an alien had nothing to do with the fact that my hubby applied...if it is a USC applying...all they take into account is the size of the household and everyones ssn#'s and their status...at the time I wasn't in a legal status...so I didn't exisit...at least on the books...so they just counted him and our son

I think it is the case that the alien cannot be the one applying...but if they are the dependant of a USC who applys then it is a different matter, as they aren't the one applying they are just classed as a dependant.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

The I-864 states the following. It doesn't say the alien can't apply for means-tested benefits. It says that the sponsor must repay the government for them.

"By signing this form, you, the sponsor, agree to support the intending
immigrant and any spouse and/or children immigrating with him
or her and to reimburse any government agency or private
entity that provides these sponsored immigrants with Federal,
State, or local means-tested public benefits."
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:47 am

The I-864 states the following. It doesn't say the alien can't apply for means-tested benefits. It says that the sponsor must repay the government for them.

"By signing this form, you, the sponsor, agree to support the intending
immigrant and any spouse and/or children immigrating with him
or her and to reimburse any government agency or private
entity that provides these sponsored immigrants with Federal,
State, or local means-tested public benefits."
Aha, got it. Thanks.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:50 am
Andrew DeFaria

Noorah101 wrote:

>> i really dont know, that's what im trying to find out...
    > I believe food stamps are one of the things the alien won't be
    > eligible for. The USC might still be eligible, I'm not sure. This is
    > one of the reasons the alien has a sponsor, so that there will be
    > someone to "support" him/her if it gets to that point. It is still the
    > responsibility of the person who completed and signed the I-864 to
    > come up with a way to be financial responsible for him.

It may be and it probably was all well intentioned. However what happens
if the sponsor loses employment as seems to be the case here. Can't the
husband apply for the food stamps?
--
When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:09 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

Question Re: food stamps and green card

thanks S... so there's liability only if the sponsor doesn't qualify to collect food stamps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.