Wikiposts

Folinskyinla on overstays

Old May 2nd 2003, 5:13 am
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

yes rete!
i'm divorced. i had hoped i'd never have to tie the knot again... there are many emotional and financial reasons, like the ones you pointed out, plus old baggage from my parents' divorce and my own divorce, and what i had hoped to avoid for my daughter's sake...

but with one living in mexico city and the other one in philadelphia, the cost and effort of frequent visits is outrageous. it's double the time and money of what a ticket to london is! now add to that the ins making it from difficult to impossible to carry on like that, one gets stuck in an awkward place where decisions you never wanted to make become choices you now must go through with.

and discussions of other issues, that were never even thought of before, begin to surface (since we'll be living together forever): do we want kids? do we want to travel around or will we settle down and buy property? will we retire somewhere exotic while tending a business? i'm not comfortable planning the rest of my life right this minute. it's like my life just flashed past me!

but, do you go back to your carefree days or do you commit to this person you love? a perpetual long distance relationship was not an option... we want to be together.
he has the better job and less chance of adjusting to a new country jobwise, so it has to be me who makes the move.

ah, the stories one gets to know in here.
Old May 2nd 2003, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Isn't that the bitch of it? Jim and I had talked and both agreed that we DID NOT want to marry. Neither of us ever wanted to marry again. We would have been just so darn happy to either live closer together in the same city and/or become live-in significant others. But the US Government and the Canadian Government as well, don't have provisions in their regulations for two over the hill people without educational degrees in specific fields to migrate to either of their countries from ours.

When you come down to it, there is absolutely no benefit for us in marriage. Our taxes are higher when filing jointly (I was able to file head of household before). Our medical deductible is higher being a "family". Our social security benefits will be less than if we took them as single people.

Oh well. That's life. It is never exactly what you want it to be.

Rete
Hi Rete:

Yeah, marriage is "just a scrap of paper." But then, so is a green card.
Old May 3rd 2003, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

John McHugh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bequibar
yes rete!
i'm divorced. i had hoped i'd never have to tie the knot again... there are many emotional and financial reasons, like the ones you pointed out, plus old baggage from my parents' divorce and my own divorce, and what i had hoped to avoid for my daughter's sake...

but with one living in mexico city and the other one in philadelphia, the cost and effort of frequent visits is outrageous. it's double the time and money of what a ticket to london is! now add to that the ins making it from difficult to impossible to carry on like that, one gets stuck in an awkward place where decisions you never wanted to make become choices you now must go through with.

and discussions of other issues, that were never even thought of before, begin to surface (since we'll be living together forever): do we want kids? do we want to travel around or will we settle down and buy property? will we retire somewhere exotic while tending a business? i'm not comfortable planning the rest of my life right this minute. it's like my life just flashed past me!

but, do you go back to your carefree days or do you commit to this person you love? a perpetual long distance relationship was not an option... we want to be together.
he has the better job and less chance of adjusting to a new country jobwise, so it has to be me who makes the move.

ah, the stories one gets to know in here.
Very interesting thread. When real life intersects arbitrary law, how can ANYONE give good advice? Our situation is highly analagous to Bequibar's, complete with the difficult POE experience and the fretting over whether to have the successful Mexican woman emigrate to the U.S. or the decently-employed yanqui try to make a go of it South of the border. But, economically speaking, there isn't really much of a compromise (en comparación con un compromiso) possible. Adela is now in Mexico (after 2+ years absence) being courted by her former employer, a radio station, to at least spend an hour or two on the air to satisfy the fans who still ask about her. And, I'm left wondering what this awakening might do to her perspective. Meantime, we await our AOS interview in June, entirely unsure how we're going to make all these high and diverse life expectations mesh in one location. Good thing we love each other, huh?

Good luck to all...
Old May 3rd 2003, 4:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by John McHugh
Very interesting thread. When real life intersects arbitrary law, how can ANYONE give good advice? Our situation is highly analagous to Bequibar's, complete with the difficult POE experience and the fretting over whether to have the successful Mexican woman emigrate to the U.S. or the decently-employed yanqui try to make a go of it South of the border. But, economically speaking, there isn't really much of a compromise (en comparación con un compromiso) possible. Adela is now in Mexico (after 2+ years absence) being courted by her former employer, a radio station, to at least spend an hour or two on the air to satisfy the fans who still ask about her. And, I'm left wondering what this awakening might do to her perspective. Meantime, we await our AOS interview in June, entirely unsure how we're going to make all these high and diverse life expectations mesh in one location. Good thing we love each other, huh?

Good luck to all...
Love conquers all I guess. Our local NPR has a Hispanic music hour every Saturday night presented by a local lady.
Old May 5th 2003, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

thomas_cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Folinskyinla on overstays

Hi Everyone,
Last Fall, my brother (cousin) entered the USA on an F-1 (stuent) visa. However, he dropped out of college after one semester (four months).
He is engaged to a US citizen. If he subsequently marries her & files for AOS, will he be accused of VISA FRAUD because he dropped out of college after only 4 months ? Are there likely to be any complications in the AOS process due to this?
Thanks, & goodbye.