Flying to Mexico to renew i94

Old May 24th 2015, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Allfourfeet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying to Mexico to renew i94

I've heard that it's frowned upon to cross the Canada/Mexico border crossing by land to do this, but is it the same by air? For example if we were to go for a long weekend to Mexico will we have any problems with immigration? Just trying to find a cost effective way to do it as we have flights booked to go back to the UK after my current i94 will expire (I have plenty of time left yet though)
Old May 24th 2015, 3:22 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Mexico to renew i94

There is no Canada /Mexico border
Old May 24th 2015, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is that.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Allfourfeet is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry that'll teach me for not reading what I've put! I meant I've been told that it's frowned upon if you were to cross either of the Mexico/US or Canada/US land border crossings for i94 renewal purposes. I just wondered if this were the case of you were to go by air.
Old May 24th 2015, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go to Canada by air inspection would actually take place in the airport leaving not arriving back.

Only thing that comes to mind.
Old May 24th 2015, 11:00 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot of details provided, but you have some cohabiting B2 posts.

If you attempt it, you should be able to prove the person is admissible with documentation. There may be a hassle. Of course, you could do an I-539 for more time and skip Tijuana.

Last edited by crg; May 24th 2015 at 11:07 am.
Old May 24th 2015, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allfourfeet
... we have flights booked to go back to the UK after my current i94 will expire...
I suggest you alter your travel plans and leave the US prior to the expiry of your existing I-94.

Ian
Old May 25th 2015, 1:20 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I meant I've been told that it's frowned upon if you were to cross either of the Mexico/US or Canada/US land border crossings for i94 renewal purposes. I just wondered if this were the case of you were to go by air.
Who told you that? It's nonsense. Lost count of the number of Canadians I've spoken to or bumped into who've walked across and walked back to get an I-94, say a TN-1. And in fact that was a reapplication for their TN-1, not just an I-94.

Takes longer, that's for sure, because you'll be sitting in secondary inspection.

I have to say this "I think I will get better treatment at POE X" always makes me laugh because I've sat at Sweet Grass watching numerous people putting it to the test. And failing spectacularly.

If anything you're more likely to get into trouble because you stand out more. All that happens is they phone up the relevant person if they get stuck and you get treated exactly the same, just takes longer.
Old May 25th 2015, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your onwards UK flight details with you when you reenter the US from Mexico/Canada. I recommend a weekend in Los Cabos!
Old May 25th 2015, 2:41 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Who told you that? It's nonsense. Lost count of the number of Canadians I've spoken to or bumped into who've walked across and walked back to get an I-94, say a TN-1. And in fact that was a reapplication for their TN-1, not just an I-94.
Going over and back for a TN vs a B2 is completely different. TN, E, L, H etc have a clear reason for seeking more time with a specific employer. Some even have petitions that were already reviewed and approved. A B2 is seeking admission for a vague "more visiting" purpose. Cohabiting B2 is still not fully understood by border guards nor viewed favorably because it seems to contradict with the spirit of the traditional B2.. Even a cohabiting B2 is required to maintain a foreign residence and be able to prove it if called upon to do so. DOS/CIS recommends that the cohabiting B2 seek more time is via an extension. Even though this person will likely succeed, I don't disagree with the assertion that the practice is generally frowned upon.
Old May 26th 2015, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that'll teach me for not reading what I've put! I meant I've been told that it's frowned upon if you were to cross either of the Mexico/US or Canada/US land border crossings for i94 renewal purposes. I just wondered if this were the case of you were to go by air.
Travel to Canada or Mexico does not reset the 90 day clock. You need to change the date of your flight to the UK so that you don't overstay.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ible-countries

The terms of the VWP are very clear - it is only to be used for occasional, short visits to the U.S. If the CBP Officer thinks you are trying to "reset" the clock by making a short trip out of the U.S. and re-entering for another 90-day period, you can be denied entry. (If that happens, you will have to obtain a visa for any future travel to the U.S.) In order to be re-admitted to the U.S. shortly after a previous admission expired, you will have to convince a CBP Officer that you are not trying to "game" the system.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 26th 2015 at 1:07 pm.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:38 pm
Yorkshire man in Florida

barnsleylad is an unknown quantity at this point

i did it last week. im on a e2
Old May 27th 2015, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

OH & I spent the holiday weekend in Florida and went to the Bahamas for the day on Sunday to renew our I-94's.
36 minute flight from Ft Lauderdale to Nassau (JetBlue)
Old May 29th 2015, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
OH & I spent the holiday weekend in Florida and went to the Bahamas for the day on Sunday to renew our I-94's.
36 minute flight from Ft Lauderdale to Nassau (JetBlue)
Interesting because, technically speaking, you should not be able to do that. You're not supposed to be able to reset the 90 day clock with a trip to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ible-countries

While in the U.S., you may go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and Adjacent Islands and re-enter the U.S. using the I-94 admission notation you were issued on your VWP passport when you first arrived in the U.S., although the time you spend there is included in the 90 days allotted for your visit.

If you go to Canada and Mexico or the Caribbean, and while you are there, your initial 90-day period of entry expires, but you need to come back in to the U.S. to fly home, you may encounter a problem.
Old May 29th 2015, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Interesting because, technically speaking, you should not be able to do that. You're not supposed to be able to reset the 90 day clock with a trip to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.
I'm pretty sure people in this thread are visa-holders, who have I-94s expiring, while the underlying visa remains valid, eg. B2 cohabiting partners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.