Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Flying domestically in US with processing visa question/help

Flying domestically in US with processing visa question/help

Old May 10th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

noodlecup93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying domestically in US with processing visa question/help

Okay this is my situation,

I'm currently in the process of renewing my visa and have applied for a green card, recently I received my new British passport (only form of government ID I have) and it is basically a blank passport as no visas are stamped or anything.

Would immigration or whoever checks ID at an airport say anything about this?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying domestically in US with processing visa question/help

Originally Posted by noodlecup93
I'm currently in the process of renewing my visa and have applied for a green card, recently I received my new British passport (only form of government ID I have) and it is basically a blank passport as no visas are stamped or anything.
You should have also received your old British passport back; the one which has the expired visa in it.

Would immigration or whoever checks ID at an airport say anything about this?
Going which way? They probably won't say anything as you leave the USA or enter the UK, but for sure you will need a current visa to enter the USA again. I assume your renewed visa will be put into your new passport?

Rene
Old May 10th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Domestic flight? I don't think you will meet any immigration people. Brit passport would work for photo ID I imagine.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, sorry, I just realized he said domestic flight.

For a domestic flight, your new passport should be OK.

Rene
Old May 11th 2012, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh, sorry, I just realized he said domestic flight.

For a domestic flight, your new passport should be OK.

Rene
Or an unexpired driver's license, or a state ID card - any government issued photo identification. You don't need a passport to fly domestically, unless that is the only ID you have.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
Or an unexpired driver's license, or a state ID card - any government issued photo identification. You don't need a passport to fly domestically, unless that is the only ID you have.
Never mind, didn't see you that you have no other ID. If you are not going to drive, you should get a state issued ID card, so you do not have to carry your passport all he time.
Old May 12th 2012, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Carry both Passports with you. It is is unlikely that they will check your legal status for a Domestic Flight, but it does happen.

Also it is something you are required to do anyway, flying or not.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

I second what Bella said - get a State issued ID card, even if you don't need a drivers license. Not only is there a risk of losing your passport, but it might confuse some people at a small, non-international airport. Before I was old enough to drive I used my passport as my ID when I took a short flight, and they weren't quite sure what to do with it.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

She needs to have her Passport with her.

State Issue ID is fine as an addition.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
She needs to have her Passport with her.

State Issue ID is fine as an addition.
Just curious - as I have never been asked by any official (other than USCIS at immigration , and airline personnel for international flights,) for either my passport or my GC, has anyone else ever been asked for a passport or visa documents in the course of normal daily life and domestic air travel? (outside of Arizona .) I have of course, shown my GC to my employer as verification of eligibility to work in the US. I do carry the GC with me most of the time, just have never been asked for it.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

Was that the question, how often do you get asked for it?
Old May 15th 2012, 4:54 pm

Just curious - as I have never been asked by any official (other than USCIS at immigration , and airline personnel for international flights,) for either my passport or my GC, has anyone else ever been asked for a passport or visa documents in the course of normal daily life and domestic air travel? (outside of Arizona .)
Even in Arizona, my alien husband has only ever shown his Arizona State ID.

Rene
Old May 15th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Was that the question, how often do you get asked for it?
Well, as I have never been asked for a passport or immigration documentation outside the situations described in my post (flying overseas, coming back to the US, and when starting a new job), I was wondering if others had been asked, and and if so, then "how often" would also be interesting.
Just curiosity, as I said.
Old May 15th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I have never been asked for a passport or immigration documentation outside the situations described in my post (flying overseas, coming back to the US, and when starting a new job), I was wondering if others had been asked, and and if so, then "how often" would also be interesting.
Just curiosity, as I said.
I've been asked for proof of my status here in TX and some of my friends have too. One got detained for an hour because she only had her driving license and not her PP with her while they checked.
And just remembered that we got asked for it a couple of times when we were on the river which borders the US and Canada when we lived in MI
Old May 15th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious - as I have never been asked by any official (other than USCIS at immigration , and airline personnel for international flights,) for either my passport or my GC, has anyone else ever been asked for a passport or visa documents in the course of normal daily life and domestic air travel? (outside of Arizona .) I have of course, shown my GC to my employer as verification of eligibility to work in the US. I do carry the GC with me most of the time, just have never been asked for it.
My understanding is that no-one other than immigration/feds/employer is allowed to question your status. That is what Arizona is trying to fix/undo. I have never been asked in any other situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.