British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   First Use of L1 - I94 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/first-use-l1-i94-748833/)

bobbedford Feb 17th 2012 3:41 pm

First Use of L1 - I94

Hey

Using my L1 for the first time tomorrow.

I've read a few times about people having issues with the I94 not being completed correctly. The lawyers also mentioned it in a letter, but were vague as ever.

What do I need to be on the lookout for?

Anything you recommend I take other than:
- I797 (or something like that - can't remember what it's called off the top of my head)
- L1 petition
- Passports (obivously)

Many thanks

Flabound oneday Feb 18th 2012 11:26 am

Re: First Use of L1 - I94

Bob, thats pretty much it. i was advised to take my whole file (in hand luggage !) 'just in case'. the I94 form is pretty straightforward, http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._instructions/ will give you an idea.

when I got to the desk it was
-'purpose of visit ?' - i am arriving on my L1 visa to temporarily reside here
who do you work for ? -name of US company
whats your position ? -manager
so where you gonna live ,Placida wheres that ?- near Boca Grande
oh yea great fishing...welcome to the United States sir !!

and then you are here !!

crg Feb 18th 2012 12:06 pm

Make sure the form is clearly and fully completed. Everything should be spelled correctly. If anything is crossed out or changed, the people who issue drivers licenses may not accept it because of the possibility that it was changed after being issued.

tht Feb 18th 2012 1:06 pm

My first L1A entry in March 2010 was very straight forward as noted above, I was traveling 1/2 times a month at that time and never had issues. About 10 months later I did get asked for my petition approval (I797B), I did not have this or any other documents with me ( I had carried the full pack the first couple of times) he asked me additional questions and admitted me in the end.

My lawyer told me to keep copies of my I94's, which I did the first 5 or 6 times and then stopped doing.

The most important thing to check (your I-94) when you come in, to make sure that you are admitted as an "L1" it will be written on below the date and that the date they write matches that of your visa expiry.

That said looking at my passport now they often did not bother to write either L1 or the expiry on the stamp in my passport (when other stamps on the same page showed it).

They also seemed to be obsessed with stamping the page opposite the visa sticker, they got to 8 overlapping stamps before they started on a new page.

Congrats, hope you enjoy living here!

tht

cpe111 Feb 20th 2012 1:30 pm

We had the wrong date written on my wife's I-94 once - had to go back to the airport to get it sorted out. The date the put onthe I-94 should match your L1 visa expiration date.

crg Feb 20th 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by cpe111 (Post 9911268)
The date the put onthe I-94 should match your L1 visa expiration date.

It should match the petition date which is not always the same. The passport expiration date may also come into play. Also, the L-2 children should receive a different date to coincide with their 21st birthday if it will occur before the petition date.

Flabound oneday Feb 20th 2012 8:41 pm

disagree CRG. the date on the stamp for me has ALWAYS been the expiration of the visa -nothing to do with petition date

crg Feb 20th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 9911864)
disagree CRG. the date on the stamp for me has ALWAYS been the expiration of the visa -nothing to do with petition date

I'm not sure if you should just assume that your visa is the same as everyone else's visa. They won't admit to the length of the petition if it exceeds three years though. The visa itself must only be valid on the date the person is seeking entry.

Check out the FAM:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87503.pdf

9 FAM 41.113 PN9 VISAS REQUIRING PETITIONS
(CT:VISA-1789; 12-16-2011)
a. For visas which require petitions, posts must enter the following in the petition screen:
(1) Petitioner’s name;
(2) Approved petition number;
(3) Visa classification; and
(4) Expiration date of the petition.

b. The name of the principal applicant should appear in the annotation field on the visa of each family member who is deriving status from the principal. For example:
P.A.: JOHN DOE PET. NAME: HEALTHY LIFE, INC. PET. NO. LIN9517750446 PET. EXP. DATE: 04 MAY 1996

c. If you limit the validity of an H, L, O, P, or Q visa to less than the period of validity on the petition or authorized extension of stay, you must also enter the following in the annotation field:
(PETITION VALID/STAY AUTHORIZED) (as applicable)
TO: DATE

triptastic Feb 21st 2012 2:50 am

I've had a range of different dates when entering on L-1 visa:
- Visa expiry
- Petition expiry
- 3 years from date of first entry
- 3 years from date entering (think this was a mistake)

Most recently it has always been visa expiry date.

Fred16 Feb 22nd 2012 6:38 pm

The officer at Immigration put B2 on I94 with 6 month expiry for an L2 visa!

No way could be accident as other child went up at same time and had L2 written on his. Clearly had a moment of brain freeze

bobbedford Feb 22nd 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks all - they put visa expiry down. It was all suprisingly easy. The officer only spoke to us for fingerprints...

Back in the UK now and have found a great house for us to live in. A little on the big side for just the two of us - but gonna live the dream.

Two weeks on Monday and that's it for the Uk for the next 2 years.