Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time visit to USA to meet girlfriend

Originally Posted by iornse
so you apply for esta...
If you want to travel using the VWP, you must apply for ESTA and it must come back approved.

... and than you will be questioned when arrive in US ?
I suppose the two basic questions are "what is the purpose of your visit", and "how long will you be staying". Beyond that, you may or may not be questioned further.

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

iornse is an unknown quantity at this point

excuse me, thrown out - where ?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It helps if you quote the person you're responding to, so we don't have to search the posts for the phrase "thrown out".

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

i was asking tilman zero
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by tinman0
ESTA clearance just means you can step on the flight. Doesn't give you any right to entry to the country once you land.

If they don't like you at Immigration, you'll get the second interview and then either allowed in, or thrown out.
"Thrown out" is a little harsh. He means "denied entry".

Rene
Old Jun 11th 2013, 7:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when I used to visit my (then) fiancée all they really wanted confirming was if she was waiting for me in Arrivals and when I was leaving. I think twice they asked me what I did for work but despite the part(-part)-time nature of my employment they were unfussed.

Still, it's different each time unless you're a USC, I guess. That's part of the... 'fun' .
Ironically the most difficult questioning I ever got was before I even met my (now) wife, arriving at Newark. i was only ever asked perfunctory questions about length if stay, how much cash I was carrying and (once) how much leave I had from my employer in a given year.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i was asking tilman zero
There's no user by that name... which is why it helps to actually quote!

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately Homeland Security doesn't publish the percentage of young people that were denied entry into the US due to suspected intention to overstay but suspect the figure is very low. Although on this forum there has been a handful over the years that have been denied entry, it seems that vast majority have had little problems at the border.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

StartSomething is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The-Vecchio
Ok so ive been trying to gain as much information regarding my planned first visit to the usa for the purpose of meeting the woman ive been in a long distance relationship with for over a year.

Im a 23 year old student, currently out of work. It seems i qualify to enter on the VWP but im trying to find out what other things i may need to be granted entry.
Now ive scrimped and saved all year and after paying all flight expenses etc im left with around £500 for the actual 18 day visit. Ive been told i will be refused entry without credit cards, bank statements and perhaps proof of employment.
I would appreciate if any light could could be shed on what i actually need and how to go about this properly, what problems i may encounter at immigration and things like that. Also my flight plan requires me to first fly into newark then connect onto chicago before reaching my final destination, am i required to go through immigration at each stop or what?

Thank you in advance

I fly into Newark when I visit my U.S girlfriend. I've made the trip a number of times and the questions are usually.

- How long do you plan to stay?
- Where do you plan to stay?
- What is the purpose of your visit? (the first couple of times I answered "vacation" to this question, but from then on I have always said to visit my girlfriend)

I've been asked a couple of times about my job, but never had to show anything as proof. But doesn't hurt to bring something from your college/university just in case I guess.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Unfortunately Homeland Security doesn't publish the percentage of young people that were denied entry into the US due to suspected intention to overstay but suspect the figure is very low. Although on this forum there has been a handful over the years that have been denied entry, it seems that vast majority have had little problems at the border.
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...l_day_fy12.pdf

Admitted:
• 963,121 passengers and pedestrians, including:
– 269,428 incoming international air passengers
and crew
– 53,234 passengers/crew arriving by sea
– 640,459 incoming land travelers
• 66,615 truck, rail, and sea containers
• 260,143 incoming privately-owned vehicles
Conducted:
• 999 apprehensions at and between U.S. ports of entry
• 54 arrests of wanted criminals at U.S. ports of entry
Refused:
• 931 inadmissible aliens at U.S. ports of entry

So about 1 in 1000?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...l_day_fy12.pdf

Admitted:
• 963,121 passengers and pedestrians, including:
– 269,428 incoming international air passengers
and crew
– 53,234 passengers/crew arriving by sea
– 640,459 incoming land travelers
• 66,615 truck, rail, and sea containers
• 260,143 incoming privately-owned vehicles
Conducted:
• 999 apprehensions at and between U.S. ports of entry
• 54 arrests of wanted criminals at U.S. ports of entry
Refused:
931 inadmissible aliens at U.S. ports of entry

So about 1 in 1000?
I suspect a high percentage of the 931 denied entry are crossing the border from Mexico so probably the percentage being denied entry via air travel is significantly smaller. That doesn't give us an idea of the percentage of young people denied entry via air travel so we don't have any idea.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect a high percentage of the 931 denied entry are crossing the border from Mexico so probably the percentage being denied entry via air travel is significantly smaller. That doesn't give us an idea of the percentage of young people denied entry via air travel so we don't have any idea.
Oh absolutely but even if it was as high as 1 in 1000 you are still talking only one person every 4 or 5 flights. Then when you consider that "traveling while brown" would probably skew the number even more with extra refusals from asia, africa and the middle east etc then the chances of a regular traveler from the UK being refused is quite low.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh absolutely but even if it was as high as 1 in 1000 you are still talking only one person every 4 or 5 flights. Then when you consider that "traveling while brown" would probably skew the number even more with extra refusals from asia, africa and the middle east etc then the chances of a regular traveler from the UK being refused is quite low.
I agree. I also wonder how many of those denied entry are people who visit the US too often. Usually they are given a warning before they are denied entry but I suspect some still try to enter again too early.

It also seems we have a hundred times more young people posting on BE "worrying about being denied entry" than the number that are "denied entry"
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I agree, but with respect to TWB, most of those will likely be from countries that are not VWP eligible, and so are likely on a fairly even footing compared to visitors from VWP countries, if not ahead of them (even less likely to be denied entry.)

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 12th 2013 at 7:19 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

I think entering in East Berlin was much more swiftly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.