Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First steps of a move from UK to LA

First steps of a move from UK to LA

Old Jan 4th 2020, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Dombell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First steps of a move from UK to LA

Hi all,

I am a first time poster having found this site after a lot of confusion around visas to the US.

To explain our position, my boyfriend and I are considering a move to the US, and we need to get an idea of how feasible it would be.

We’re both mid 20s, he works in social media in entertainment at a small agency in London, I work in PR for a nationwide energy company based out of the head office in London. For me, my company is looking to expand internationally and there could be opportunities to move with it to the US, this will be a few years away as I haven’t been there a year yet. For him, he has a few connections in the US who could help put him in touch with people in his field, but he’d be looking to get a new job outright either before the move or after.

He is expecting it to be easy for both of us to have jobs before we move out there, is that the norm?

If one of us is able to get a job, would the other one be able to move out with them and apply for work when there?

Old Jan 4th 2020, 5:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First steps of a move from UK to LA

It isn't easy to get a job before you move, unless you work for a company that is transferring you to the USA. Which from you what have you posted would be about the only way one of you would get a visa.

In order to travel together you would need to be married, especially as both of you appear to intend to work here. Unless you both get a work visa separately from the other.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dombell
He is expecting it to be easy for both of us to have jobs before we move out there, is that the norm?
Unless you've forgotten to mention that one of you is a US citizen, you'll need a job offer and sponsoring employer to get a visa usually. So yes, job must come first. Have a look at the to see all the various visa options available - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a job first is necessary as you will need a visa to enter the US to work, and you must be outside the US during the visa application, but getting a job offer from an employer who will sponsor a visa may be extremely difficult, if not close to impossible, depending on he hiring practices in the sector you are seeking to find work.

Then, depending on which visa type the person with a job gets, their spouse will be able to enter the US to live, but may, or may not be able to work ..... unless they independently find work and sponsorship for a visa. Note I said "spouse" - a visa for a non-married domestic partner is (i ) a tricky proposition, and (ii) absolutely certainly does not allow the domestic partner to work while in the US (unless/ until they independently find work and sponsorship for a visa) - this includes remotely for an employer outside the US.

The most likely visa to apply for with a job offer under the circumstances would be an H-1B, which has been massively oversubscribed for a number of years, such as the success rate in getting a visa is around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4. Because the of the over-demand the practice is that applications for H-1B visas are only accepted in the first week of April, and then, after the application has been process, if you are one of the lucky ones to get a visa, you can't start work until 1 October of that year. The spouse of an H-1B visa holder cannot work while in the US - this includes remotely for an employer outside the US.

TL/DNR version: what you are proposing is tricky, time consuming, and on balance is unlikely to happen. The odds are not long, but it is more likely than not that you will not be able to find a route to a visa to work in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 6th 2020 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Freelancer1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm quite surprised you're both looking to move to the US when your current company hasn't even expanded yet, also you only been working there for less than a year.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freelancer1991
I'm quite surprised you're both looking to move to the US when your current company hasn't even expanded yet, also you only been working there for less than a year.
I’m quite surprised that you join a forum and your first post is criticizing someone else!

Did you have a purpose in joining?

Old Jan 12th 2020, 6:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I’m quite surprised that you join a forum and your first post is criticizing someone else! ....
Quite right! He should leave criticism to the seasoned members, experienced in making criticisms, whether justified or not!
Old Jan 13th 2020, 10:44 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dombell
Hi all,

I am a first time poster having found this site after a lot of confusion around visas to the US.

To explain our position, my boyfriend and I are considering a move to the US, and we need to get an idea of how feasible it would be.

We’re both mid 20s, he works in social media in entertainment at a small agency in London, I work in PR for a nationwide energy company based out of the head office in London. For me, my company is looking to expand internationally and there could be opportunities to move with it to the US, this will be a few years away as I haven’t been there a year yet. For him, he has a few connections in the US who could help put him in touch with people in his field, but he’d be looking to get a new job outright either before the move or after.

If one of us is able to get a job, would the other one be able to move out with them and apply for work when there?

Your confusion is probably that you can’t find the answer you want. The US is not like AUS, NZ, Canada etc which have working holiday visas for brits that are easy to get. I had a similar idea to you at 21 and 19 years later I was living in the US and had a green card a year later. Think of it as maybe a 10 year plan, assuming you both have undergraduate degrees and some work experience that will save you a few years. Your best bet is a transfer with an employer after working for them for more than an a year, although your will either need to be a senior employee or have specialized knowledge:

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoption...porary_workers

If you really want it and your are smart and work hard it is achievable, but unless your very lucky it’s not something that happens in months...