Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Fingerprints mystery -- next step?

Fingerprints mystery -- next step?

Old Nov 4th 2005, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

almoya is on a distinguished road
Default Fingerprints mystery -- next step?

Hi folks! Here's a really interesting one -- wondering what you guys think.

I had my AOS interview in Garden City, NY back in Sept 05. AOS officer said all looks good, just waiting for FBI background check.

Knowing I could wait anywhere between a day to a year -- I decided to get nosey. First attempt was this week at Infopass NYC just to get an update on the case. Obviously waste of time (duh!) -- Infopass lady said 'sorry, we have no info because the file is in Garden City, and Garden City has no appointments'

Next attempt -- go directly to FBI. I work in news so I had a contact there dig around for me, and he said 'actually, we don't have a record of your prints being submitted at all'

???

I'm puzzled because I've had my prints taken for AOS twice. Once in Nov 2003 and again in March 2005.

So.. what's the next step?

Gracias!

Alberto
Old Nov 4th 2005, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

lovenlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fingerprints mystery -- next step?

Originally Posted by almoya
Hi folks! Here's a really interesting one -- wondering what you guys think.

I had my AOS interview in Garden City, NY back in Sept 05. AOS officer said all looks good, just waiting for FBI background check.

Knowing I could wait anywhere between a day to a year -- I decided to get nosey. First attempt was this week at Infopass NYC just to get an update on the case. Obviously waste of time (duh!) -- Infopass lady said 'sorry, we have no info because the file is in Garden City, and Garden City has no appointments'

Next attempt -- go directly to FBI. I work in news so I had a contact there dig around for me, and he said 'actually, we don't have a record of your prints being submitted at all'

???

I'm puzzled because I've had my prints taken for AOS twice. Once in Nov 2003 and again in March 2005.

So.. what's the next step?

Gracias!

Alberto

Go to this site :

http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/fingerprints.html

There is a number at the bottom that will allow you to contact the FBI to see if your prints were submitted, and if they were they should be able to tell you when they were processed and returned to the USCIS.

Also the the USCIS has procedures for checking out the status of these kinds of things under thier own operatin instuctions:

http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/ins...htm#slb-oi1059

Look under OI 105.10(c) or (d)

It doesn't suprise me that most of the IO's or AO's at the district offices don't know this, we encountered the same situation with our daughter. Our duaghter's AOS was pending after the interview because of the backround check not being returned from the FBI. The USCIS Case worker just said they have to "just wait" for the FBI to send them in, and that they had "no way or process" to case them up. So we waited months, went down to inquire at the USCIS several times, and always got "Still waiting on the FBI" Then we found this number. We called the FBI number listed in the link above, and found out the FBI completed the process months and months ago and the data returned to the USCIS. The FBI person we spoke with asked what was the case workers name after we told her the case worker said it's the FBI's fault and it happens all the time. Within a week we got our duaghter's approval letter for her AOS.

Last edited by lovenlife; Nov 4th 2005 at 6:12 am.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lovenlife
Go to this site :

http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/fingerprints.html

There is a number at the bottom that will allow you to contact the FBI to see if your prints were submitted, and if they were they should be able to tell you when they were processed and returned to the USCIS.

Also the the USCIS has procedures for checking out the status of these kinds of things under thier own operatin instuctions:

http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/ins...htm#slb-oi1059

Look under OI 105.10(c) or (d)

It doesn't suprise me that most of the IO's or AO's at the district offices don't know this, we encountered the same situation with our daughter. Our duaghter's AOS was pending after the interview because of the backround check not being returned from the FBI. The USCIS Case worker just said they have to "just wait" for the FBI to send them in, and that they had "no way or process" to case them up. So we waited months, went down to inquire at the USCIS several times, and always got "Still waiting on the FBI" Then we found this number. We called the FBI number listed in the link above, and found out the FBI completed the process months and months ago and the data returned to the USCIS. The FBI person we spoke with asked what was the case workers name after we told her the case worker said it's the FBI's fault and it happens all the time. Within a week we got our duaghter's approval letter for her AOS.
Hi:

Although useful, the OI's have been held by courts as not binding on the former INS. My understanding is that they have been superceded in any case by the new "Examinations Manual."

Do note that the FP cards simply aren't used at all anymore.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

After digging in more -- turns out Clarksburg did recieve my fingerprints on March 23, and were sent back to CIS same day.

As for the name check at FBI HQ... who knows. I sent an email query about 4 months ago and have yet to receive a reply from them.

*sigh*

On a lighter note -- my 3rd AP was approved today.

I'm going to cry.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by almoya
After digging in more -- turns out Clarksburg did recieve my fingerprints on March 23, and were sent back to CIS same day.

As for the name check at FBI HQ... who knows. I sent an email query about 4 months ago and have yet to receive a reply from them.

*sigh*

On a lighter note -- my 3rd AP was approved today.

I'm going to cry.

Also.. the unanswered part of the question -- if Garden City doesn't accept appointments, how in the world can I get an update? Federal Plaza in NYC said they had no access.