Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Finally Received Citizenship Interview - Need to reschedule

Finally Received Citizenship Interview - Need to reschedule

Old Jul 12th 2021, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally Received Citizenship Interview - Need to reschedule

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
reschedule - it's not a big issue unless you are in a hurry to get your naturalization finished. Just make sure that you send the notice to reschedule via recorded delivery so you know it got there.
Just a heads-up - I got my citizenship at the end of May and had to wait 1 month for an available appointment to apply for my US passport. I have paid extra $60 for expedited processing but was told it would still take 2 months.
Wow really? We became USC’s on 19th May (Oath Ceremony) and was able to get a Passport Appointment 2 days later on 21 May at the Post Office. Our application reached USCIS on 27th May and we received our passports exactly 5 weeks later on 1 July. This was in Massachusetts. We applied for Naturalization on January 4th and our Interview Date on April 5th (our application was processed a month earlier I was told but they had to wait until we actually completed 5 years of having GC to give our Interview Date). I’m not sure if ours is a one off chance of being processed super fast. Which location did you apply at if you don’t mind sharing?
Old Jul 12th 2021, 7:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Wow really? We became USC’s on 19th May (Oath Ceremony) and was able to get a Passport Appointment 2 days later on 21 May at the Post Office. Our application reached USCIS on 27th May and we received our passports exactly 5 weeks later on 1 July. This was in Massachusetts. We applied for Naturalization on January 4th and our Interview Date on April 5th (our application was processed a month earlier I was told but they had to wait until we actually completed 5 years of having GC to give our Interview Date). I’m not sure if ours is a one off chance of being processed super fast. Which location did you apply at if you don’t mind sharing?
Is long wait to apply for a passport a CV19 thing? They took our application on the same day in the library next door, right after the oath ceremony, I assumed that was normal. 5 weeks to get the passport is crazy long… I think mine came less than 2 weeks after the oath ceremony.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has her citizenship appointment tomorrow in San Jose,, could anyone share what to expect?

Also I understand that she needs to take her GC with her, hopefully she gets that back, do they take GC back at Oath ceremony or at appointment?

She has an international trip planned in Nov!......Until the Oath ceremony is complete I guess she cannot apply for a US passport, what is the quickest way for her ?

Last edited by navman; Sep 23rd 2021 at 4:54 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:03 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman
My wife has her citizenship appointment tomorrow in San Jose,, could anyone share what to expect?

Also I understand that she needs to take her GC with her, hopefully she gets that back, do they take GC back at Oath ceremony or at appointment?

She has an international trip planned in Nov!......Until the Oath ceremony is complete I guess she cannot apply for a US passport, what is the quickest way for her ?
I had to show my GC at the interview, but they did not take it until the oath ceremony, back in 2019 that was weeks later, but people have reputed having them same day recently. Once you are a USC you have to apply for a US passport, again as you note these are currently taking a longer time so you can end up “land locked”.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

I am hoping that we don't need to do the Oath Ceremony tomorrow, or at least it is optional.

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping that we don't need to do the Oath Ceremony tomorrow, or at least it is optional.
how long did the naturalization process take from submission to Oaths ? Am planning on submitting next week via the online portal - seems very straightforward to me and you even get the option of paying by credit card! Any hiccups during the interview etc. ? Also, do post your experience when you get done with the Oaths.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msk2uon
how long did the naturalization process take from submission to Oaths ? Am planning on submitting next week via the online portal - seems very straightforward to me and you even get the option of paying by credit card! Any hiccups during the interview etc. ? Also, do post your experience when you get done with the Oaths.
Depends on your local field office.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 12:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

how long did the naturalization process take from submission to Oaths ?
'Oath' singular. There's only one during the ceremony. Mine was 12 months in 2019 through the Atlanta field office, but it varies wildly by office and will have varied wildly due to COVID.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Naturalization complete, they did same day Oath Ceremony at SJC office.

Now need to figure out how to get US passport in 6 weeks, they have advised we can go to SF office with Naturalization certificate, how long are current passport processing times if submitted online?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 4:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I did an expedited service through the post office and got my US passport back in 2 weeks.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

How long back ago was that application?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 8:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

How long back ago was that application?
June
Old Sep 25th 2021, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

msk2uon is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this something you have to do on the day or can you ask to differ? Am guessing it's also site-specific perhaps?
Old Sep 25th 2021, 4:01 pm
tht

Is this something you have to do on the day or can you ask to differ? Am guessing it's also site-specific perhaps?
You don’t have to apply for a passport anytime. Many Americans don’t have one. The reason people do it same day is that as an American you are not meant to travel without a US passport. So the theory is the sooner you apply the sooner you get your new passport. You could also wit and go to the post office or if it’s urgent go to one of the sites that does them on short notice.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 4:55 pm
Austin. TX.

Book the appointment at the post office for the day after the oath ceremony as soon as you get sent the date - this was the hold up for me; getting an available appointment in Austin. Expedited service costs ~$60 extra but it's worth it to get the passport back quickly.

And I know most americans don't have passports but then we are not like normal americans are we??