Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Filing in person or by mail?? HELP!

Filing in person or by mail?? HELP!

Old Apr 11th 2001, 3:50 pm
Blakely28

Hi! I recently filed my Canadian husband's paperwork last week to the New Orleans
office. We drove down the long trip to file only to realize once we got there that
the adit photos were wrong! We went upstairs to take pics but unfortunately they did
not take checks and the only cash I had was in my car down at the parking garage.
And... the INS office was closing so we did not have the time. So we drove out to a
photo place had the pics done and sent them at the post office right there in the
same building where the INS is. Now... here is my problem... I have read on several
experiences that it is recommended to file in person instead of mail... since we
filed by mail... how is this going to hender our paperwork??? They got my forms and
check the next day because I got reciepts for all the forms 5 days later. Now its
just the waiting... but I am still concerned if maybe we should have driven down
again and filed in person. Am I worrying for nothing???

Old Apr 11th 2001, 4:10 pm
exyz

>
New Orleans
    >
got there
    >
    >
in my car
    >
did not
    >
and sent them
    >
is. Now...
    >
recommended
    >
is this
    >
next day
    >
just the
    >
down again
    >
    >
I can't speak for directly for New Orleans, we filed in Charlotte. We live 2 hours
away from the Charlotte office. We have mailed in everything, used priority mail with
the ability to track the package. I believe that many people find it difficult to
file in person...the INS office is far away, it's hard to take off work to stand in
line. From our own experience, I can't imagine that filing via mail prejudices your
application in a negative way. The only advantage to filing in person is if the
office provides information, appointments, single-day service, or if you are worried
that you made an error in your paperwork and would like someone there to check it.

We're having our interview 17 months after filing, which isnt' bad. My husband's EAD
was processed in about 8 weeks, AP in about 5 from the day we mailed each form. We've
received receipts for everything...after about 2 weeks. Five days for a receipt
sounds pretty good to me.

Elaine

Old Apr 11th 2001, 10:47 pm
Rete

You are worrying for nothing.

Rita

>
Orleans
    >
there
    >