Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A few more questions now I've finally got my L1...

Wikiposts

A few more questions now I've finally got my L1...

Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:16 am
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice
Default A few more questions now I've finally got my L1...

So, after a b-o-r-i-n-g week in Brussels having the interview then waiting for the stamp, I finally got my L1, and am back in the US.

I just have a few more questions, that's I've seen answers to on this forum before, but can't seem to find them now...

1. I think I've read somewhere that I have to do something to my L1 before I can leave the US, is this correct,or can I now come and go as I need to without any further action?

2. In terms of the SSN, I know I should wait around 10 days for my details to filter through the system, but does that mean I can't apply (using the SS-5 form), or that I should apply ASAP, but expect to ait a couple of weeks?

3. Finally, for the drivers licence (Texas), I think I need to wait for the SSN before applying..correct?

Thanks all...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few more questions now I've finally got my L1...

2. You should wait about 10 days before even applying for the SSN, as it takes that long for your name to be updated in the system they use to check your status.

3. Most states now require you to have your SSN in order to get a drivers license, but double check with DMV in Texas.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:43 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

2. if you go before the 10-14 days then if your name isnt on the computer - your application will be put to one side. You are then waiting on someone in the office to be picking up all the outstanding apps and putting them onto the system once the name does appear. If your piece of paper goes down the back of the cabinet, or in that office they just check them once a week or when they have a big enough pile - you COULD end up waiting longer. At least if you wait the 10-14 days and take it in - then you watch them input it in person and KNOW that the application is IN the system. and you should be able to go back the following day and get a printout of the number to start using it. (card will come through the post in due course).
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to Texas in a couple of weeks - this is what I've been looking at for license details -

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/apply-license.php

Does anyone know if they would consider us as first time applicants, or transfers from out of state? I like the idea of not sitting a test (as in the transferee option) , but I don't like the idea of surrendering our UK licenses

What do you think?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
We're moving to Texas in a couple of weeks - this is what I've been looking at for license details -

Does anyone know if they would consider us as first time applicants, or transfers from out of state? I like the idea of not sitting a test (as in the transferee option) , but I don't like the idea of surrendering our UK licenses

What do you think?
I think if you are coming into the USA from overseas, you aren't considered a "transfer from out of state".

I think on the day you go apply for the Texas drivers license, you should conveniently forget to bring your UK license to DMV with you! They can't take from you what you don't have!

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:22 am
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
2. You should wait about 10 days before even applying for the SSN, as it takes that long for your name to be updated in the system they use to check your status.

3. Most states now require you to have your SSN in order to get a drivers license, but double check with DMV in Texas.

Rene
Thanks for the replies...I'm answering part of my own question here, it looks like if you've never been issued a SSN, then you don't need it for a drivers licence, in Texas at least.. I quote:

"Individuals who have applied for and been denied the issuance of a Social Security number due to ineligibility or that have never applied for, been issued or assigned a SSN by the Social Security Administration may complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13). The affidavit will be available at the driver license office and must be sworn to before an authorized department employee."

That was from here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ritynumber.htm
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Thanks for the replies...I'm answering part of my own question here, it looks like if you've never been issued a SSN, then you don't need it for a drivers licence, in Texas at least.. I quote:

"Individuals who have applied for and been denied the issuance of a Social Security number due to ineligibility or that have never applied for, been issued or assigned a SSN by the Social Security Administration may complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13). The affidavit will be available at the driver license office and must be sworn to before an authorized department employee."

That was from here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ritynumber.htm
The loophole provides a solution if you can't apply for a SSN (e.g. H4). You can have a SSN -- hence the loophole doesn't work for you.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to question 1, the only thing I can think of is making sure you surrender the I-94 when you leave the US and completing a new one each time you come back. The only exception to this is short trips to Canada and Mexico where they often don't take the I-94.

I mention this because my first trip outside the US was a day trip to Toronto to visit a customer where I ended up running late and almost missing the flight, so I didn't even notice until I was on the plane that I still had my I-94 in my passport. I totally panicked that I had messed up and that they weren't going to let me back into the US again when I came home that evening
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:54 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The loophole provides a solution if you can't apply for a SSN (e.g. H4). You can have a SSN -- hence the loophole doesn't work for you.
Not true. Read the text. If you have never applied for a SSN then you can use the affidavit. So, if you apply for your Texas license on your way to the Social Security office to apply for your SSN, you are still entitled to use the affidavit.

Useful if, as is so often the case, it takes months to actually receive your SSN.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:57 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?
You have to take both the written and the practical road test. They're both worryingly, disturbingly easy. So easy, in fact, that they will suddenly make sense of the horrific standard of driving you'll experience when you arrive in Texas.

As a holder of a valid foreign license, you can actually drive for up to 12 months in Texas on your British license. It's only people transferring from out of state who need to get a Texas license within a month. However, your car insurance costs will be much lower with a Texas license, so get one ASAP. Personally, I put it of for nearly a year. Never quite found the time, and was secretly worried about taking the test. That stupidity cost me $$$ in insurance costs, and really wasn't worth it.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Not true. Read the text. If you have never applied for a SSN then you can use the affidavit. So, if you apply for your Texas license on your way to the Social Security office to apply for your SSN, you are still entitled to use the affidavit.

Useful if, as is so often the case, it takes months to actually receive your SSN.
Dicing with death I would have thought. But if the OP wants to go for it....
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Dicing with death I would have thought. But if the OP wants to go for it....
Texas does seem pretty free and easy with it's driving licenses. It even issues licenses valid for 6 years, regardless I-94/visa expiration - at least that's what i was told by my local DPS office .
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

What do you think?
That particular site is not the official site. In Texas, driving licenses are issued by what is known as the Department of Public Safety - DPS. Official site - http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...ol/dlindex.htm

As has been mentioned already, you have 12 months grace on a foreign license in Texas, in which time you will have to sit a written and practical driving test. As far as i know, there is no requirement to surrender your foreign license - i've heard about it happening in other States (Georgia???) but not Texas.

Last edited by lofty79; Jun 25th 2008 at 12:57 am.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:03 am
Texas Pete

So, I went to the DPS today, no problem applying for the drivers licence without an SSN, as long as you've never applied, they don't need it.

Pete
(passed the written test, will take the road test in a couple of days!)