British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   FAO Anyone on an L1A / B (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/fao-anyone-l1a-b-864014/)

WestCoaster1974 Aug 25th 2015 3:00 am

FAO Anyone on an L1A / B

My visa states must present approved I - 29S at POE.

After 8 or 9 entries I have never been asked for it... As anyone been asked for it? Just curious really. I will be traveling over land boarders sometimes and could do without carrying paperwork each time but obviously it seems to make sense to do so.

ian-mstm Aug 25th 2015 12:35 pm

Re: FAO Anyone on an L1A / B

Originally Posted by WestCoaster1974 (Post 11732085)
I will be traveling over land boarders sometimes...

Will they be lying down? Can you kick them as you pass? Oh... wait - perhaps you meant "borders"! :)

... and could do without carrying paperwork each time but obviously it seems to make sense to do so.
Is it really that difficult to carry a piece of paper?

Ian

fozzyb Aug 25th 2015 12:41 pm

I thought you only ever needed it the first time you enter on the L1.

Certainly that was the only time I was ever asked for it.

tht Aug 25th 2015 1:26 pm

After 8 or 9 entries I have never been asked for it... As anyone been asked for it? Just curious really. I will be traveling over land boarders sometimes and could do without carrying paperwork each time but obviously it seems to make sense to do so.

I have no idea about an I29S, I assume that's for a blanket L, the lawyers filled an I129 for me, I think I was given an I-797 when the petition was approved, I had a whole pack of documents the lawyer gave me the first time I entered, I don't recall them looking at it. I only entered again maybe 20 times before I got my GC just over a year later and was never asked for any additional documents.

NatashaB Aug 26th 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11732409)

Is it really that difficult to carry a piece of paper?

Ian

How much does this piece of paper weigh? :lol:

AndFinally Sep 13th 2015 10:15 pm

I've renewed my L1-A twice now and on both occasions I got asked for my I-797 the first time I entered on it. The first L1-A I got I learned a lesson when entering via EWR, not only did they want the I-797 but they also wanted the original rather than a copy. My immigration attorney sent me a copy and I was swiftly sent to secondary! I now carry it everything in a plastic wallet just in case. I was also asked for it when entering the USA via Canada but never since.

1004ron Sep 16th 2015 7:22 am

I've always been asked to present it on first entry on my L-1B and with my L-1A, and they keep one of the originals.
I most often enter at ATL.

I also carry it in a plastic pocket just in case they request seeing it again.