Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

family disaprooval and no co sponsor yet

Wikiposts

family disaprooval and no co sponsor yet

Old Mar 9th 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Ayisha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: family disaprooval and no co sponsor yet

Originally posted by Noorah101
My main point in what I posted was simply that if the extended family of the beneficiary benefits from the fact that their son/daughter found love and marriage with someone from a country that can provide a better life for everyone, I see nothing wrong with that. If it's even a motivation to find someone who can "better your lot in life", and you narrow your search for love to that particular type of person (as I did with Iranians), no problem there either, in my opinion. Who wouldn't want to improve their own life, and the life of the person they love?
Thanks for an interesting discussion...
Rene
Time for my $0.02:

My marriage was arranged. My mother went to Pakistan for the express purpose of finding me a husband. (BTW, yes, I am of Pakistani descent; however, I was born and raised in the USA living "the best of both worlds.") I didn't meet Sohail until a week before the wedding, and then only 3 times before the actual wedding day.

My requirements: Someone mature and educated from a good and honest family.

His requirements: Someone mature and educated from a good and honest family, and someone who had Western citizenship.

When Sohail's father met with my mother, he said straight off that he was approaching her because he wanted his son to have better opportunities in his life, opportunities that he didn't have. My mother admired his honesty and agreed to the engagement the next day.

I love Sohail more and more each day, and he loves me more and more each day. He's not perfect, but neither am I. We have our arguments, but they're always resolved (usually because of him-I'm the stubborn one). We thank God that we have each other. My in-laws are wonderful people, and I speak to them every week (especially my father-in-law. I love him almost as much as I love Sohail!)

Stick in there, Sadia. Good luck to you, Rene! May you both be forever happy.

Ayisha

Last edited by Ayisha; Mar 9th 2004 at 8:55 am.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Khadija is an unknown quantity at this point

What a fascinating story! We in the west always have such negative impressions of arranged marriages. Just goes to show you how little we know sometimes!

Good fortune to both of you has you navigate your married life together!

Patty Khadijah
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:16 am
Just Joined

saddia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ayisha
Time for my $0.02:

My marriage was arranged. My mother went to Pakistan for the express purpose of finding me a husband. (BTW, yes, I am of Pakistani descent; however, I was born and raised in the USA living "the best of both worlds.") I didn't meet Sohail until a week before the wedding, and then only 3 times before the actual wedding day.

My requirements: Someone mature and educated from a good and honest family.

His requirements: Someone mature and educated from a good and honest family, and someone who had Western citizenship.

When Sohail's father met with my mother, he said straight off that he was approaching her because he wanted his son to have better opportunities in his life, opportunities that he didn't have. My mother admired his honesty and agreed to the engagement the next day.

I love Sohail more and more each day, and he loves me more and more each day. He's not perfect, but neither am I. We have our arguments, but they're always resolved (usually because of him-I'm the stubborn one). We thank God that we have each other. My in-laws are wonderful people, and I speak to them every week (especially my father-in-law. I love him almost as much as I love Sohail!)

Stick in there, Sadia. Good luck to you, Rene! May you both be forever happy.

Ayisha
Thanks for sharing that really amazing story.
so many times I think in our culture arranged marriages are misunderstood and looked upon as forced and cold but like in your life story this arranged marriage had it's choices in what each other wanted in a mate and your in a warm caring loving marriage with ups and downs like everyone else.
My fiances brothers all are arranged in marriages and all of them are loving husbands to there wives ,very inlove you can see it and it works! they were clear in what they wanted in there mates and got it with there ups and downs as well .
Glad Ayisha posted . I see infact alot of arranged marriages work more even then the ways of natrually meeting sometimes.
It's just in our culture here we just are not familiar with it.
Also like my parents are not familiar with net meeting but it happens,, I have two best friends that met on the net he was here and she was in alabama and within one year they married and have kids together and happily married . My fiance and I get along really good ,,we also have our disagreements but its always resolved the same day.
One more thing I just wana mention about cultures being different is..suprisingly not really that different except the accent.
I mean he is so much like me I cant believe how we match and he dresses in jeans tshirts,loves sports like any other man and likes his eggs sunnyside up so do I haha. We know though like any other married couple we will face some things together after we marry and issues of a new world here finding a job ect missing his family, but speaking from the heart here he is no different then me and I am so happy for you Ayisha.
oh and one important question hehehe.
my fiance is worried about his cricket matches,he's wondering if they will be on cable here in USA. I have no idea! do u know?
he was captain of his cricket team and is just passionate for his crickett. I worry more of the co sponsor to but I'll never give up.
Love will find a way.
if u tried emailing me I havent got it yet. I did get your mail link again.
Best wishes, Sadia