family based visa ..

Old Aug 25th 2003, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default family based visa ..

Hi folks
I'm in the US I have my 2 year conditional green card I came on a K-1.
My son now aged 19 is in the UK and for personal reasons would now like to join me in the US, his name was on the original petition can anyone help with some info on timeline for him to come and stay etc ??

thanks in advance

Jan
Old Aug 25th 2003, 4:59 pm
Sean Hedges

Default Re: family based visa ..

Hello

If you arrived on a K2 Visa and your son was included on that petition - he
had to arrive in the US within a year of you.
If - as it seems - a year has passed - then that visa has lapsed - then I
am not really sure what would happen then - perhaps you might just have to
get a waiver to have the visa extended - or maybe have to re- apply for it .

Sorry I could not help too much.

~Sean

"jan_michigan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks
    > I'm in the US I have my 2 year conditional green card I came on a K-1.
    > My son now aged 19 is in the UK and for personal reasons would now like
    > to join me in the US, his name was on the original petition can anyone
    > help with some info on timeline for him to come and stay etc ??
    > thanks in advance
    > Jan
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 25th 2003, 5:21 pm
Mrtravel

Sean Hedges wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > If you arrived on a K2 Visa and your son was included on that petition - he
    > had to arrive in the US within a year of you.
    > If - as it seems - a year has passed - then that visa has lapsed - then I
    > am not really sure what would happen then - perhaps you might just have to
    > get a waiver to have the visa extended - or maybe have to re- apply for it .
    >
    > Sorry I could not help too much.
    >

If it is within the year, the consulate should be contacted to get him
the K-2. If it is not within the year, then she would not be able to get
him here on a K-2.

Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Hi folks
I'm in the US I have my 2 year conditional green card I came on a K-1.
My son now aged 19 is in the UK and for personal reasons would now like to join me in the US, his name was on the original petition can anyone help with some info on timeline for him to come and stay etc ??

thanks in advance

Jan

Jan,
How long ago was your visa issued?
Old Aug 26th 2003, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Dang ! visa was issued May 7th 2002 ..so guess i'm out of luck
I had a feeling there was a 2 year rule about children following or something seems it was a year tho.
From what I've read I now have to wait until I have citizenship to apply for a family based visa for him ... which should be errrrrrrrr bout 4 years ?!!? hmm

OK now i'm going to email the US embassy in London to enquire about an extended stay visitor visa.

The situ is briefly as follows ... James (19yr old son) decided not to come to the US with myself and other 2 sons last year as he was in lurve (arent all teens) and was training to be a chef on an aprenticeship scheme. Now he's split with his g/f ... dropped the chefs thing (mainly because his employers decided that seeing as he wasnt at college doing his day release in the summer he could work every hour god sends .. 75 on the last week he was there).
Being in Portsmouth / Hayling Island and unemployed .... several weeks behind with his rent etc hes just about hit rock bottom, hes severely depressed, gave up applying for jobs after he was turned down for the 1,000th time in favour of some spotty 16yr old straight out of school who doesnt qualify for the minimum wage. Of course he cant get dole because he left his job he wasnt sacked.
According to a friend of his I contacted hes lost about 2 stones in weight, and hasnt been eating as he doesnt have money.
This has left me in a terrible situation, in the short term he can live with my mother, but he has said he would like to come out here and give it a go.

Thats about it in a nutshell ..... its left me worried sick (as you would imagine) and looking forward to another run in with BCIS

*sigh*

Jan
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default easier

If the marriage took place before he turned 18, he is still under 21 and unmarried, he qualifies as your spouse's stepchild, and can come here as your spouse's immediate relative. It sounds like everything falls in that category, check www.immigration.gov to confirm this.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about
Default one more thing

search this board for posts about visitor visas. Some folks have had trouble with older children who were in a transitional phase of life getting visitor visas.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. We were married 11 days before James 18th birthday so it looks like were in for the long haul with this one.

My brother has just driven to Portsmouth and collected James, he says hes so thin he looks like he hasnt eaten in months and is a mental mess, so it looks like hes going to be getting some tlc from my mother and wont be able to travel till hes better.

This is every mothers nightmare and having this forum to ask for info is a godsend

Jan