Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Failure to register for Selective Service

Wikiposts

Failure to register for Selective Service

Old Apr 6th 2001, 4:44 pm
Sunil Krishnan

Unfortunately when i recieved my green card i was 25 and had no clue about selective
service. When i was over 27 is when i found out about it, while applying for fiancial
aid. Anyway, i sent the letter from SS office with my N-400 application including my
own letter stating that i was not aware of it. What are my chances of getting
rejected for naturalization? Has anyone ever been rejected? sunil

Old Apr 9th 2001, 3:33 pm
asg

Here's one of the FAQ about selective service:
---------------------------------------------------------
What is the penalty for not registering?

If you do not register, you could be prosecuted and fined up to $250,000 and/or be
put in jail for up to five years. Registration is also a requirement to qualify for
Federal student aid, job training benefits, and most Federal employment. Also, lawful
permanent residents who are required to register, and fail to do so, are ineligible
for U.S. citizenship.
--------------------------------------------------------

Basically, when you register for selective service, they will give you a
registration number. So if you ever apply for citizenship or anything that asks your
selective service, they just pull up the numbers, if you don't have it, then you
will be ineligible. I've read somewhere that INS can even revoke your green card
because of this.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >