Facing deportation

Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Facing deportation

Originally Posted by newyork37
This I have to take full responsibilities for -- she still doesn't speak English very well and have trusted me to get the process forward. I had the dumbest notion that somehow we'd be notified for an interview, and an even dumber notion that we should have been absolutely vigilant in getting documentations in order.

We've gone through the steps before this w/o much of an issue - this simple, simple step has just not been kept on top of.

As much of a screw-up I have been on this, we do have all the paperwork as backups, including her original status, financial documentations, etc. to get her the conditional GC in the first place.

If she can stay in the US while we restart the process, that's a thousand times better than her being deported and me picking up everything and leaving US as well.
None of my business, of course, but after FOUR years in the US it may be time to learn the lingo, get a SSN, get out and about, take charge of her life... Otherwise what is she going to do here for the rest of her life?

Anyway, good you kept copies - so refiling should be a breeze...
Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

newyork37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
None of my business, of course, but after FOUR years in the US it may be time to learn the lingo, get a SSN, get out and about, take charge of her life... Otherwise what is she going to do here for the rest of her life?

Anyway, good you kept copies - so refiling should be a breeze...
Can't argue there Elvira.

We were looking ahead, as she is slowly getting over her issues and even passed her tests to enter an art school in NYC. Having said that, the language issue has been a struggle for us, and is case with other non-Native speaker spouses that I've been in touch with. I myself is also not native, and I can tell you I was deaf, dumb, and mute the the first few years of coming over. The stories about immigrants not speaking the language (and staying within their ethnic neighborhood) is not new, and unfortunately, even for someone who was a vibrant, energetic, and completely outgoing like my wife can become opposite of who she was.

Last edited by newyork37; Apr 7th 2007 at 4:58 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 4:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...........The stories about immigrants not speaking the language (and staying within their ethnic neighborhood) is not new, and unfortunately, even for someone who was a vibrant, energetic, and completely outgoing like my wife can become opposite of who she was.
Glad to hear she's doing something. It might be an idea, though, for her to apply for an EAD when she re-files for AOS - even a part-time, low-level-entry job might help her acclimatize and improve her language skills.

Anyway - good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Glad to hear she's doing something. It might be an idea, though, for her to apply for an EAD when she re-files for AOS - even a part-time, low-level-entry job might help her acclimatize and improve her language skills.

Anyway - good luck!
I completely agree - she has to take the big first step sometime. Thank you so much for your thoughts and advise.

We just hope that the removal process has not begun, and even if it has, we can reapply to get her on-status and start the process again. (Worst case scenario would be that she has gotten her removal date, missed it, and cannot be in a position to reapply.)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:10 pm
Homebody

I completely agree - she has to take the big first step sometime. Thank you so much for your thoughts and advise.

We just hope that the removal process has not begun, and even if it has, we can reapply to get her on-status and start the process again. (Worst case scenario would be that she has gotten her removal date, missed it, and cannot be in a position to reapply.)
I am sorry, but I really do not know about the removal part. I think that, in theory, she is removable, but I doubt that she would be considered a high-priority case.

Since you probably won't be able to talk to a lawyer until Monday anyway, why not just print out all the various AOS forms and fill them in, and gather all the supporting documents you'll need, so you'll be one step ahead (and it will give you something constructive to do instead of worrying).

If you are able to refile, as soon as the petition is accepted by USCIS, your wife would be back in "pending AOS" status, i.e. legal. But she must not leave the US until she her PR status is approved.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

I am sorry, but I really do not know about the removal part. I think that, in theory, she is removable, but I doubt that she would be considered a high-priority case.

Since you probably won't be able to talk to a lawyer until Monday anyway, why not just print out all the various AOS forms and fill them in, and gather all the supporting documents you'll need, so you'll be one step ahead (and it will give you something constructive to do instead of worrying).

If you are able to refile, as soon as the petition is accepted by USCIS, your wife would be back in "pending AOS" status, i.e. legal. But she must not leave the US until she her PR status is approved.
Absolutely right Elvira. We went though every box and found as much evidence as we can, and sent out emails and called colleagues, ex-bosses, etc. for affidavits. We have our I-751 filled, but we'll print out the AOS and filled those out as well.

Hopefully we'll find an experienced legal help and see exactly what are next courses of actions are, and what her status is.

Thanks again Elvira...
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And get those taxes filed immediately ..
Old Apr 7th 2007, 7:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right Elvira. We went though every box and found as much evidence as we can, and sent out emails and called colleagues, ex-bosses, etc. for affidavits. We have our I-751 filled, but we'll print out the AOS and filled those out as well.
When we refer to "starting over" we mean refiling the whole I-130 and I-485 AOS package. Never mind the I-751 now...it's probably too late to just file that. But consult with the lawyer on it. Have all the AOS papers re-done in preparation.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:31 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway - good luck!
I'll second that -- won't the EAD make it possible (or at least easier) for her to get her SSN?

Doesn't matter if she uses the EAD to actually work, it's useful in other ways, too...

~ Jenney
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Throwing in my two cents....

I think it is premature to talk of refiling AOS (like it's a foregone conclusion) until you find out what can happen with the I-751.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, the attorney will tell you to refile for adjustment of status for your wife. The 6 months delay in the filing for removal of conditions will only be pardoned if there is a good reason for the delay, i.e. illness. That does not apply to you.

Since your wife's status has expired, she is now here illegally. To make her legal, you refile for her adjustment of status.

As for your issues, she's been working without a social security number? Not paying taxes on those earnings? Definitely, get an attorney's assistance.

Hi,

I was referred here by visajourney.com, and though I would post our dire situation here and ask for help also.

I wished that I was even remotely responsible many months ago. My wife and I have been married since 2003 (I've been a naturalized citizen for the last 20+ years), and she was on a conditional PR (and have been in the country for the last 4 years.)

Unfortunately, we are 6 months late in filing the I-751, and am faced with what seems like a huge emergency.

Here are the most worrisome facts that we're faced with:

* Her conditional PR card has been expired for 6 months
* We've never made her a SS#
* No shared financial statements (partly due to lack of #SS, also because I was paying for most everything) except shared address
* Haven't had a wedding ceremony
* Tax returns have not been filed for the last 3 years

Now what we do have:

* Shared address for the last 3-4 years (Her checking/saving account and mine are to the same address)
* We have paid for each other's expenses each other's debit cards
* Have trustworthy colleagues & clients who can sign affidavits
* Have plenty of photographs, videos, and other personal items
* Have hired a CPA to help us file the tax returns, which will be filed jointly asap

We're just deathly afraid that we have become a case in what NOT to do in a marriage-base visa, and have made too many mistakes. Of course we'd love a second chance to get her a SS# and get everything in a joint status, as we're thinking of buying a house later this year, but if she enters the removal process it will all be moot.

What are our chances? Should we hire an immigration lawyer? How realistic is to get a one year extension to get things in order even with a lawyer's help?

I almost wish they came by at odd hours to check on us (I've heard stories of immigration officers coming by at odd hours) or even a surveillance camera at this point to prove our marriage...

Would most welcome any advise or comments -- thank you so much....
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much David,

Is it actually possible to start from scratch? If so, I would assume that she has to leave the country, and if so, would that mean a certain # years ban on re-entering US?

Under no circumstances should she leave the US until she has a new green card firmly in her hand.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:16 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Ray
And get those taxes filed immediately ..

They will not be able to file until she has obtained a social security number because as a former PR she is not entitled to a taxpayers identification number from the IRS.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by meauxna
Throwing in my two cents....

I think it is premature to talk of refiling AOS (like it's a foregone conclusion) until you find out what can happen with the I-751.

The option there is to file one and see what happens and hold your breath or just file the new AOS. A consulation with an immigration attorney is a definite must have.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 10:33 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Rete
IMHO, the attorney will tell you to refile for adjustment of status for your wife. The 6 months delay in the filing for removal of conditions will only be pardoned if there is a good reason for the delay, i.e. illness. That does not apply to you.............
As for your issues, she's been working without a social security number? Not paying taxes on those earnings? Definitely, get an attorney's assistance.
I don't think she was working at any time - in fact it looks like she did not do anything at all in the four years she's been here...

It was the husband who worked but did not fill tax returns!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.