F1 - What can/can't I do?

Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

ScotsmanUtah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 - What can/can't I do?

Hi all,

So I've been accepted at a college in the US! My chosen major starts in January which is too short notice therefore I've opted for the 1st August 2016 course.

The total course is 25 credits over one year.

I'm just looking to see if I would be over complicating things visa wise if I were to also apply for a course, starting in 1st March and ending 30th July.

This course is 6 credits.

Both courses are of similar nature.

I've looked on London's website but can't find any reference to course credits. My understanding is that I must have a minimum of 12 credits per year.

Can anyone clarify this?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 - What can/can't I do?

What is "London's website"?

What do you need a minimum of 12 credits for? Are you trying for a student visa? What college has just accepted you?

At your last post you were in the US on a VWP and intending to marry and try to remain in US.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
What is "London's website"?

What do you need a minimum of 12 credits for? Are you trying for a student visa? What college has just accepted you?

At your last post you were in the US on a VWP and intending to marry and try to remain in US.
Actually, no I wasn't. I was asking what my options were.

My understanding is that you need 12 credits per semester to maintain your F1 status. My courses will be 16 credits per semester so I've answered that question.

By 'London's website' I refer to the embassy.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a community college you are talking to in order to get an F1?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

It is, yes.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the I-20?

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

We've not gotten that far yet I'm afraid - Still awaiting info through the mail.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at the Dept of State website regarding F-1 visa, and it didn't list any credit requirements. I would assume once you get the I-20, you should be ok to apply for the visa.

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Wonderful, thank you.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ScotsmanUtah
Wonderful, thank you.
...... but the school must be a recognised sponsor and able to provide you the I-20; and you have to apply for the visa from your home country.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... but the school must be a recognised sponsor and able to provide you the I-20; and you have to apply for the visa from your home country.
They are. I'm looking at courses which go from 25 credits over 5 semesters (somehow) through a more in-depth course which covers 61 hours over 4 semesters.

My concern was if choosing the 25 credit course would this create an issue.

My understanding was always that you must undertake a course of at least 12 hours per semester.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:40 pm

If you still have concerns, the school foreign student advisor should know.

Rene
Old Dec 11th 2015, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

They are. I'm looking at courses which go from 25 credits over 5 semesters (somehow) through a more in-depth course which covers 61 hours over 4 semesters.

My concern was if choosing the 25 credit course would this create an issue.

My understanding was always that you must undertake a course of at least 12 hours per semester.
The requirement is that you be enrolled in a "full-time course". My recollection from when a friend of mine was studying in California on an F-1 visa a few years ago is that, in a California community college at least, "full-time" meant "at least 12 credits" per semester so it would appear that the 6 credits worth of classes that you could take between March and July would not be sufficient to qualify. If in doubt, the first step would be to consult the school's International Student Advisor who is probably also the "DSO" (Designated School Official) who would be issuing you with your I-20.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 4:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole thing has to make sense.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone clarify this?
It's got to be a full-time course of study. How many "credits" it is I assume you've got from the college but different colleges measure that in different ways. Must be full-time, that is the requirement for F-1. That is why there is nothing on the US Embassy website about it.

If you really want to knock yourself out, read the State Dept. manual: https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM040205.html

And the CFR: 8 CFR 214.2 Paragraph (f) is the relevant bit.

(f) Students in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, elementary schools, other academic institutions, and in language training programs—(1) Admission of student—(i) Eligibility for admission. A nonimmigrant student may be admitted into the United States in nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15)(F) of the Act, if: