Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F1 visa approval with no qualifications?

F1 visa approval with no qualifications?

Old Nov 4th 2021, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Legerity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 visa approval with no qualifications?

Hi guys,

To give background: I'm in my late 20s, finally looking into getting a university degree to help me with my career. For reasons beyond my control (mainly health) i had to drop out of high school in the UK before my exams, thus i do not have any GCSEs or equivalent high school qualifications at all, and no transcripts of any kind to present when i apply. There are plenty of community colleges in the US who accept people like me with no qualifications though. My partner is also a US Citizen and will be there able to financially support me while i study, which is why i'm looking at US colleges specifically and not the UK.

So that's where i am, looking into applying to US community colleges who accept those without qualifications. However. I've been getting mixed signals from colleges upon inquiry. Some think that there would be no issue in me getting in, others seem to think that the US Gov specifically require that anyone obtaining an F-1 visa must have a high school diploma or the equivalent, and therefore that they could not accept me even though the degree i'd be applying to would accept me otherwise. This has put me off applying to any colleges yet due to the unknown factor of whether i'd hit a wall at the visa application stage if it turns out i do need a high school diploma, regardless of whether i've already have acceptance from a college who doesn't require it at that point.

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience of receiving an F-1 visa without qualifications? Or maybe have any knowledge i'm not privy to as to whether this whole thing about minimum required qualifications for F-1 is true or not? The state department website lists no information on the matter other than possibly needing to furnish transcripts at interview to demonstrate your qualification for the course you have applied for. Which would be sort of moot if the course doesn't require anything, but which i could obviously still come acropper over if the visa interviewer decides that "i don't have or need any qualifications for this course" isn't a good enough answer.

Will likely be taking professional advice as well but thought i'd put it out here first in case there was an obvious answer i've missed on the topic.

Thanks guys.

Old Nov 4th 2021, 1:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 visa approval with no qualifications?

One thing that jumps out at me is that you need to show you can fund your full tuition (2 years if getting an Associates degree), books, supplies, room, and board. Having a US Citizen love interest works against you in this case, because it gives you reason to stay in the USA.

I would find it a little odd if you get accepted at a community College without having completed high school, but that's just my opinion.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 4th 2021 at 1:46 am.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
One thing that jumps out at me is that you need to show you can fund your full tuition (2 years if getting an Associates degree), books, supplies, room, and board.

Having a US Citizen love interest works against you in this case, because it gives you reason to stay in the USA.

I would find it a little odd if you get accepted at a community College without having completed high school, but that's just my opinion.

Rene
Agree entirely on the citizen partner situation, but it is what it is. I've pondered on that a lot as well. I've got a lot of ESTA stamps in my passport from all my visits to see them. We're not ready to get married and have always strictly followed the rules on the VWP when i'm visiting, so i'd like to think my ability to follow the rules counts for something. It feeds pretty well into your other concern about funding. The main factor in me choosing the states is because my partner is able to help me with room, board, and tuition while i'm there, and is willing to file an affidavit of support on my behalf.

As far as getting accepted goes. You'd be totally right if i were applying to proper 4 year colleges. But it's a pretty cool thing some community colleges do. They give you a placement test to gauge the level you're at and then put you in relevant classes to get you up to speed.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 4:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The financial requirements will be a good question to ask when you have a consultation with an immigration attorney. My understanding was that you need to self- fund everything. But an attorney will know for sure.

Yes, you followed the rules on visiting the USA, and that's good. But this time it will be for a couple of years, living with the USC (I assume you'll be living together?).

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2021, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think very few students can afford to fund their education. F1's are not just used for advanced degrees so a pre qualification requirement would not make sense.

From what I have gathered the Consulate will look at the totality of the situation, is it logical. Big issue here seems to me that it is a non immigrant visa.

You have not mentioned why you want to do a degree in the US, what it will enable you to do.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The financial requirements will be a good question to ask when you have a consultation with an immigration attorney. My understanding was that you need to self- fund everything. But an attorney will know for sure.

Yes, you followed the rules on visiting the USA, and that's good. But this time it will be for a couple of years, living with the USC (I assume you'll be living together?).

Rene
You can have family/friends/whoever is willing provide an affidavit of support as well. You just have to demonstrate that you have the funds, basically. Doesn't have to be yours specifically as long as it's ringfenced for your education.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would think very few students can afford to fund their education. F1's are not just used for advanced degrees so a pre qualification requirement would not make sense.

From what I have gathered the Consulate will look at the totality of the situation, is it logical. Big issue here seems to me that it is a non immigrant visa.

You have not mentioned why you want to do a degree in the US, what it will enable you to do.
To be clear, the reasoning for why the US is in the first paragraph of my first post. The fact my partner can help me with room, board, and tuition is one of the main reasons why. I'm not looking to immigrate to the US because my BF is there, but to attend as a student because he can support me. If i do it in the UK i will have to move to the location of the college/uni i'm attending, not work while attending full time, and pay rent etc at the same time. The US is basically the only option financially that allows me to attend university.

Last edited by Legerity; Nov 4th 2021 at 10:24 pm. Reason: adding a reply
Old Nov 4th 2021, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hence my comment about the non immigrant aspect.

But you never mentioned why you want to study whatever it is you want to study, how it fits in your life goals etc, what it would allow you to do.
Old Nov 4th 2021, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where your partner lives but I understand you need to get an SEVP institution to offer you a place:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/school-search

Not all colleges/unis/community colleges can offer SEVP sponsorship by the sounds of it.
Old Nov 5th 2021, 3:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hence my comment about the non immigrant aspect.

But you never mentioned why you want to study whatever it is you want to study, how it fits in your life goals etc, what it would allow you to do.
Is your question on the application? She said she wanted to go to college to further her career. Isn't that why most people go to college?

I didn't realize that you had to study a particular course of study to qualify for an F1.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 3:33 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

From my viewpoint as a retired immigration attorney, I would not bet money on the ultimate success of an application for an F-1 visa. That said, I sense possible success if the narrative is posed correctly.

My “maven” on student status was Adam Green.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 3:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, not sure of the practicalities.
Get a GED. It's an equivalent of a US high school diploma. You should be able to take this test at a Pearson testing site in the UK.
(At the moment you can even test at home, but I don't know if that was COVID related)
GED.com

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 6th 2021 at 3:48 pm.