F1 Visa advice please

Old May 4th 2018, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

KingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Visa advice please

Given you can apply for AOS on a F1 (I didn't realise this when making the first post) I'd say it's highly unlikely they would award an F1 Visa, with the travel history and staying with my girlfriend while there.

I also didn't realise the minimum term is 2 years for this type of degree, based on the credits it looked like a 1 year course and the website was confusing, it's not realistic to take 2 years out of employment.
Old May 4th 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KingwoodBrit
Thanks, S Folinsky.

The collage I was considering seemed to have some good caliber lecturers, according to their LinkedIn profiles. And the info the collage advisor provided was comprehensive. Working thru it now.

Is there any impact on a marriage Visa application if you are rejected for a F1 Visa?
As a total aside. "Collage" and "college" are different words. A perfect example of what often escapes spellcheck.

Happens to me all the time. 😮
Old May 5th 2018, 8:44 am
Just Joined

KingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond repute

As another member posted (and I think delete from this thread - it's still showing up in my control panel) and S Folinsky mentioned, I may want to work on my capitalisation of collEge before putting the application in
Old May 7th 2018, 1:27 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Given you can apply for AOS on a F1
Immediate relatives can apply for AOS from almost all nonimmigrant classifications (One exception a crewmember). The issue is that seeking entry as a nonimmigrant with the intention of AOS is prohibited for an F-1 and for all but a few nonimmigrant classifications.
Old May 7th 2018, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, crg.

To recap, for the F-1 I'm not able to take 2 years out for an associate degree. Also given my work experience it would be odd going for an entry level degree which would put me in line for junior roles but with a seniors level experience.

If it was a 1 year course it would be possible, could also say it was mainly a sabbatical and wanted to experience Collage. For the M-1 Visa my understanding is they're either very short or longer courses and they tend not to accept people of working age for this Visa.

I should probably explain why if we want to get married not just go for a marriage Visa... It's because our long distance relationship has been going on 3 and a half years. We've seen each other for 2-3 weeks, every 2 months in that time. And it's been very difficult due to us both also processing our divorces for the last 4 years, which are now almost done. We really need an extended trial period but no Visa's exists for achieving that on the US side. If I spend 88 days in the US on the ESTA, assuming the Border Officer agrees with that duration, that would be a good trial. But then I need to wait 90 days UK side (or take a punt on being rejected at the POE before returning on the ESTA) while the marriage Visa is being processed.

Thanks all

Last edited by KingwoodBrit; May 7th 2018 at 1:53 pm.
Old May 9th 2018, 10:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Given my history of travelling to Houston, no home to return to in the UK and the fact that I'm in a relationship with a US citizen in that city, am I right in thinking there would be a good chance of rejection when applying for the Visa?
Yes, because it's a non-immigrant visa and 8 USC 1101(a)(15)(F) requires you to have a residence abroad that you have no intention of abandoning... which you clearly are. Plus the "American girlfriend" smacks of misrepresentation to gain an immigration benefit.

You can apply for AOS on the VWP, by the way, it specifically says so on the I-94W form which is rarely used now.

And the course of study does sound more vocational than academic.
Old May 9th 2018, 10:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
With an F-1 application from a non-traditional student with 14 visits to Houston in 3 years, the "visiting friends" claim will work perfectly... if the Consular Officer was hired through some new job opportunity for the developmentally disabled.
The fact that he doesn't know how to spell: "college" might also be a tip-off.