F1 Transfer Student

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of
Default F1 Transfer Student

I haven't posted in a while but am uncertain about something so was hoping that someone can clarify for me.

I am in the UK (as of yesterday) for Christmas after completing my AA degree at School A. I am due to start at School B in Jan to complete my BA degree; my I20 has been issued and is in the hands of UPS at the moment, and am due to fly back to the US in 10 days or so.

I had an email from School B that I need to 'update my Visa' at the embassy. I am yet to hear back from them as to what she means by that, but as my current Visa which was issued before I attended School A is valid until 11/12, I assumed (first error!) that I didn't need a new one... Can anyone put me straight on this and let me know what exactly it is I need to do (if anything).

Thank you,

E
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 Transfer Student

Originally Posted by elliep
I had an email from School B that I need to 'update my Visa' at the embassy.
I think it's a CYA move on their part... I don't think you actually need to do anything. Your current F-1 visa is valid, and neither the visa nor its validity changes if you change schools. As long as you have a valid I-20 you should be fine with your current visa.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Thanks Ian- rather what I thought but thought I'd get another opinion!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be so sure, Ian. Visa validity isn't the end-all be-all when it comes to F-1 students. Does the new I-20 say "initial" attendance? How long ago did finish the other school?

Depending on the break in attending school, some students are required to pay a new SEVIS I-901 fee and may have to get a new visa to show that they did.

I'm not sure if this relates to your situation. You may want to start by talking to the Designated School Official for SEVIS. It's usually someone in the international student office. Some know a lot, but others not so much.

Last edited by crg; Dec 23rd 2009 at 12:55 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:55 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Check this out and see if it applies to your situation:

http://infousa.state.gov/government/...1268.html#away

"Students Away from Classes More Than Five Months

Students in or outside the U.S., who have been away from classes for more than five months, will likely need a new visa to enter the U.S."

Student Visa Validity Following a Break in Studies

Students who are away from classes for more than five months will have to apply for and receive a new F-1 student visa to return to school in the United States. This pertains both to students who have fallen out of student status while in the United States and students who have spent more than five months outside the United States in an excused absence from school.

Students who depart the United States with valid student visas

Students who are enrolled in schools in the United States may take a break from studies and return home for a semester or more, with their school’s permission. An F-1 student returning to the United States from a temporary absence of five months or less may be readmitted for study upon presentation of a valid I-20. However, when a student has been out of the country for more than five months (and is not pursuing studies overseas) the student’s F-1 or M-1 visa is considered to be invalid, even though the actual visa may not have expired. In this situation a new visa is required for re-entry into the United States. Students who have the approval of their schools to take an extended break from study must have their SEVIS record terminated for Authorized Withdrawal. When the student is ready to resume study, the school will issue the student a new initial Form I-20 with a new SEVIS number. These students must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
I wouldn't be so sure, Ian. Visa validity isn't the end-all be-all when it comes to F-1 students. Does the new I-20 say "initial" attendance? How long ago did finish the other school?

Depending on the break in attending school, some students are required to pay a new SEVIS I-901 fee and may have to get a new visa to show that they did.

I'm not sure if this relates to your situation. You may want to start by talking to the Designated School Official for SEVIS. It's usually someone in the international student office. Some know a lot, but others not so much.

Thank you for this- this was what i'd found on the internet before but as I only finished at School A last week, the 5 month gap didn't apply to me so I was still slightly unsure. I think that the SEVIS fee is waived if a new visa is needed.

My new I20 says "transferring from.." I believe. (I'll double check when I get up).

The DSO wasn't particularly helpful and is now out of the office until the 4th! I did call the Visa information line who told me the same thing re the 5 month gap; if it's less than that, a new visa is not needed. I know that that shouldn't be taken as gospel, but I haven't found anything that indicates that i'd need a new visa....I guess I'll find out next week when I fly back!

Thank you again