F1 to H1

Old Apr 9th 2001, 1:31 pm
davidchantf

Hi, My friend studying is master in Accountant now, and expect to graduate by the end
of this year, but now she already found a job in Accountant, and the employer willing
to sponsor her H1 visa, she already has a foreign country B.Sc degree in Accountant.
My question is can her potential employer apply H1 visa directly base on her F1
status ? Does she need to notify school that she will change to H1B ?

If that is doable, is it same procedure as B1 to H1 ?

Thanks a lot. David

Old Apr 12th 2001, 1:00 pm
Michael E. Piston

She may change status to H-1B in the U.S. as long as she is maintaining her F-1
status. No need to notify school, but it is advisable to obtain a statement from the
ISO that she is a full time student to use in support of her application.

Michael E. Piston Attorney at Law 4000 Livernois Ste 110 Troy, MI 48098
248/680-0600

My comments are based upon my over 15 years of full time experience as an immigration
attorney. It has not been confirmed by research, and one or more immigration
officials or other attorneys may disagree. This is not legal advice and is provided
on the understanding that no attorney-client relationship is created or intended.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 12th 2001, 5:03 pm
vrem

I was in the similar situation. The company applied for my H1B and it was approved
before the graduation (I already had foreign bachelor degree and was pursuing MBA).
She will need to get a certification proving that her foreign degree is equivalent to
US bachelor. I notifed my school's international students' office so that they could
make a change in my file. For safety (I didn't know how long it would take to get
approval) I also applied for OPT but didn't need it. Sorry, don't know about B1.

Helen

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >