F1 employment

Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:06 am
Just Joined

mauwth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 employment

Hi,

I'm an F1 student looking for employment. I have a couple of questions and I would be glad if you could give me some advice. I changed my status/visa J1 to F1 on January 4, 2005.

1. I got a SSN on my previous J1 visa, can I just use that SSN and work? Do I even have to worry about a work permit?

2. I heard there is a 9 month period that I can't apply for a work permit and thus that I can't work, actually it states "9 months of full-time enrolment (12 credits) as a student". I didn't take classes during summer, so does that imply that this period ends after 9 months of full-time instructions (Spring semester + Fall semester) or is it just 9 months no matter if I take classes in summer? It's kind of confusing. "9 months of full-time enrolment" would be anytime at the end of this year, whereas "9 months" would be October 4th, 2005 (9 months after January 4th, when I changed to F1 status).

3. I know that there is OPT and CPT which I can apply for for a total of 12 months. I can apply for CPT anytime during my studies as long as I get credit for it and as long as those credits count towards my degree and for OPT after my studies. Do I get 12 months for each I-20 or for each F1 visa or for my whole time of being an F1 student in the US? So will I get another 12 months with a new I-20 (i.e. from a grad school)?

4. I've also heard that I can apply for a work permit based on economic hardship. If I indeed get a work permit based on economic hardship and I work with that work permit, would that count towards my 12 months?

Thank you folks!!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:22 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 employment

Originally Posted by mauwth
Hi,

I'm an F1 student looking for employment. I have a couple of questions and I would be glad if you could give me some advice. I changed my status/visa J1 to F1 on January 4, 2005.

1. I got a SSN on my previous J1 visa, can I just use that SSN and work? Do I even have to worry about a work permit?

2. I heard there is a 9 month period that I can't apply for a work permit and thus that I can't work, actually it states "9 months of full-time enrolment (12 credits) as a student". I didn't take classes during summer, so does that imply that this period ends after 9 months of full-time instructions (Spring semester + Fall semester) or is it just 9 months no matter if I take classes in summer? It's kind of confusing. "9 months of full-time enrolment" would be anytime at the end of this year, whereas "9 months" would be October 4th, 2005 (9 months after January 4th, when I changed to F1 status).

3. I know that there is OPT and CPT which I can apply for for a total of 12 months. I can apply for CPT anytime during my studies as long as I get credit for it and as long as those credits count towards my degree and for OPT after my studies. Do I get 12 months for each I-20 or for each F1 visa or for my whole time of being an F1 student in the US? So will I get another 12 months with a new I-20 (i.e. from a grad school)?

4. I've also heard that I can apply for a work permit based on economic hardship. If I indeed get a work permit based on economic hardship and I work with that work permit, would that count towards my 12 months?

Thank you folks!!
The CPT is the off-campus work authorization while you are still studying. It is only available after 1 academic year (typically the 9 months you quote). It is permission to work off-campus while gaining experience, and it must be credit bearing to be classed as CPT/Internship.

The SS# is the same one you had issued as a J-1, and the INS endorsement still applies. If you work off-campus without authorization by your DSO/International Office, you are in violation of your visa status. The authorization is on your I-20. OPT is post-curricular, and is in the form of a DHS workcard, and doesnt require school authorization to change employer etc. OPT isnt credit-bearing as its post-curricular.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: F1 employment

http://international.missouri.edu/is...f1/employment/

this will answer all your questions.