Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expiring Passport with valid visa. Advice Please

Expiring Passport with valid visa. Advice Please

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:56 pm
Anj
Just Joined

Anj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expiring Passport with valid visa. Advice Please

I am currently residing in the US with a British Passport about to expire March 2009 and have an L2 Visa which expires August 2010. Not sure what i need to do. Can i apply for a new Uk passport from the US and will they re-issue my L2 visa on the new passport or do I have to reapply? Cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:01 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expiring Passport with valid visa. Advice Please

Originally Posted by Anj
I am currently residing in the US with a British Passport about to expire March 2009 and have an L2 Visa which expires August 2010. Not sure what i need to do. Can i apply for a new Uk passport from the US and will they re-issue my L2 visa on the new passport or do I have to reapply? Cheers
Apply for a new passport, and when travelling, take the old and new passports with you. The visa in the old passport will still be valid for entry to the US, even though the passport will not.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:00 pm
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Apply for a new passport, and when travelling, take the old and new passports with you. The visa in the old passport will still be valid for entry to the US, even though the passport will not.
When applying for the new passport write a cover letter to let them know that you have a valid US visa in your old passport so that they don't cancel that page. In the past they have stamped random pages in the passport with a 'cancel' stamp. If your visa gets the cancel visa then you will have to reapply for a new visa. Hope this makes sense.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alix
When applying for the new passport write a cover letter to let them know that you have a valid US visa in your old passport so that they don't cancel that page. In the past they have stamped random pages in the passport with a 'cancel' stamp. If your visa gets the cancel visa then you will have to reapply for a new visa. Hope this makes sense.
Nonsense.... Only the USCIS can cancel it ...
no matter who else puts a stamp on it
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:46 pm
Anj
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Nonsense.... Only the USCIS can cancel it ...
no matter who else puts a stamp on it
Thanks folks for the quick replies, cant believe its gonna cost nearly 300 bucks to renew.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:46 pm
Anj
Just Joined

thanks
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:29 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you just make this stuff up at random, Alix?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:22 am
Proud owner of a Keg!

Alix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Do you just make this stuff up at random, Alix?
It happened to me in 97. I gave my passport for renewal which had a valid US F1 visa. The embassy cancelled the passport (as they do when they issue a new passport) and at random pages inside my passport stamped 'Passport cancelled'.

Does this stuff only happen to me? Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:09 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Nope. In 2006 I replaced my passport and the old one just had the top corners of the cover cut off, no stamps. Far more obvious to see it's cancelled, and in any case, the British consulate in DC would know not to deface a US visa inside.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes my 2 previous passports both just have a corner cut off them.