Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

expired greencard:apply for citizenship!

expired greencard:apply for citizenship!

Old May 10th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all
Default expired greencard:apply for citizenship!

Hello, I've been looking around for other threads that answer my question, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.
I found that my gc expired in January. Ooops. I thought since it costs a few hundred bucks to get a new one, why not just apply for citizenship now since I was going to anyway soon, and it costs only a few more hundred bucks. I think I'm *supposed* to apply for a new gc too since now I'm committing a misdemeanor (?) but I'd like to not, if I can help it.
I just got my I-797C notice of action saying my N400 was received. Can I just take this down to an infopass appointment and get a temporary stamp, d'you think? Or will they make me cough up the dough for another gc?
I would appreciate some wisdom on this. ta.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expired greencard:apply for citizenship!

Originally Posted by bethel
Can I just take this down to an infopass appointment and get a temporary stamp, d'you think?
While your card may be expired, your status is not. You are supposed to carry proof of your immigration status at all times (which, IMHO, even an expired GC proves) but, on the enforcement spectrum, it's pretty low on the risk scale.

Or will they make me cough up the dough for another gc?
While opinions vary, if you have no need for international travel during the next year or so, I'd say don't worry about it. For employment, hopefully you have a driver's license and a SS card with no DHS legend.

Ian
Old May 10th 2009, 5:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I've been looking around for other threads that answer my question, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.
I found that my gc expired in January. Ooops. I thought since it costs a few hundred bucks to get a new one, why not just apply for citizenship now since I was going to anyway soon, and it costs only a few more hundred bucks. I think I'm *supposed* to apply for a new gc too since now I'm committing a misdemeanor (?) but I'd like to not, if I can help it.
I just got my I-797C notice of action saying my N400 was received. Can I just take this down to an infopass appointment and get a temporary stamp, d'you think? Or will they make me cough up the dough for another gc?
I would appreciate some wisdom on this. ta.
If I were in your shoes, that's exactly what I would go do first.
Folinskyinla has posted that the policy at the Los Angeles DO is to give you the stamp if you can show that you've filed N-400 in the recent past (you'd have to search his posts to find the particulars; it's possible I paraphrased him badly) BUT I know from my own experience in POO that they're quite accommodating and humane and I'd be surprised if they gave you a hard time for this.
If they do, report back. But go in all smiles and your usual cheerful self and they'll give you the same back.

I sorta miss that office.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

thanks ian and meauxna. I've got an infopass appointment for next week. They seem pretty friendly there.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

yay, got an I551 stamp in my passport and an invitation to a fingerprinting party!
Also good news is that I thought I shouldn't leave the country at all during the application process ( which is 9-15 months at the moment in Oregon, the nice USCIS lady told me ) but apparently it's totally fine as long as I'm not gone for more than 6 months.
Old May 18th 2009, 11:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

yay, got an I551 stamp in my passport and an invitation to a fingerprinting party!
Also good news is that I thought I shouldn't leave the country at all during the application process ( which is 9-15 months at the moment in Oregon, the nice USCIS lady told me ) but apparently it's totally fine as long as I'm not gone for more than 6 months.
Aren't they lovely there?
Glad it's all on track...