Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired Green Card - What are my options?

Expired Green Card - What are my options?

Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

EnglishInWisconsin is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Expired Green Card - What are my options?

My situation:

Originally from the UK (UK passport holder). Married to US Citizen, with US and UK passports. We have lived in the US for the last 10 years with only temporary travelling of no more than two weeks at a time.

My 10 year Green Card recently expired just last month (March 2019). Upon realizing this, I applied for US Citizenship (N-400, April 2019) and did not account for the glacial pace of the naturalization process. I have a biometric appointment in two weeks. Now I find that I have to travel back to the UK to see my Mother and have a non-refundable vacation booked for September. I'm kicking myself for this oversight/stupidity (depending on whether you ask me or my wife). Would someone be able to educate me on my options?

I don't like the idea of travelling on an expired Green Card but trying to get back into the US with the expired card and risking it seems like it might be my only available option.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired Green Card - What are my options?

Make an appointment at your local USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

This can be done by calling them, and escalating to an L2 agent if necessary. They'll make an appointment for you, whereupon you get an I-551 stamp on your passport extending the validity of your GC. Never done it myself though - when I was in the same situation, I too filed my N-400 and it was approved weeks before my GC expired.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Make an appointment at your local USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene
Thank you for replying, Rene.

Per your advice, I just got off the phone with my local USCIS office in Milwaukee. I was informed that I could only have received an I-551 stamp if I had applied using the N-400 form before my Green Card expired. They told me that paying $500+ to renew my Green Card would be the way forward. It's disappointing, having paid a filing fee of $750ish for the N-400 form a week ago. This application (I-90) will take a number of months too so I'm no better off.

Does this seem like the correct advice to you? Would you advise that l call back and see if I can get a 'second opinion'?
Alex
Old Apr 15th 2019, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishInWisconsin
Thank you for replying, Rene.

Per your advice, I just got off the phone with my local USCIS office in Milwaukee. I was informed that I could only have received an I-551 stamp if I had applied using the N-400 form before my Green Card expired. They told me that paying $500+ to renew my Green Card would be the way forward. It's disappointing, having paid a filing fee of $750ish for the N-400 form a week ago. This application (I-90) will take a number of months too so I'm no better off.

Does this seem like the correct advice to you? Would you advise that l call back and see if I can get a 'second opinion'?
Alex
My understanding is certainly that you can only apply for citizenship if you have a current green card, and you are not the first person to face having to stump up$00's to renew a green card that you won't need for more than a year or so, tops because you left it too late to apply for citizenship.

For anyone else reading this, you should be applying for citizenship no later than around the eighth anniversary of your (ten year) green card if you want to be reasonably certain that you won't have to renew your green card before you obtain citizenship.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Mr P, the stamp has to have a basis.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I believe Pulaski and Boiler are correct that you need to have an in-date physical card, one thing to keep in mind as a polite reminder and to those reading: unconditional residents who have their 10 year (or in some cases, "lifetime") physical green cards, despite the physical cards expiration date ARE US permanent residents. In the same sense as those who have an expired US passport are US citizens.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Whilst I believe Pulaski and Boiler are correct that you need to have an in-date physical card, one thing to keep in mind as a polite reminder and to those reading: unconditional residents who have their 10 year (or in some cases, "lifetime") physical green cards, despite the physical cards expiration date ARE US permanent residents. ....
That is undoubtedly true, assuming all other conditions for being a permanent resident are being met, such as actually living in the US.

The requirement for a current green card to be eligible to apply for US citizenship is a USCIS administrative regulation, which you might be able to challenge in an immigration court, but I suspect that renewing your green card might be cheaper than hiring a lawyer and paying court fees, maybe.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

You are permitted boarding a flight back to the US with an expired 10yr card.
(P36 of the carrier information guide https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...de-english.pdf )
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

From the "special instructions" section https://www.uscis.gov/n-400
Lost or Expiring Permanent Resident Card: If you lost your Permanent Resident Card or your card expired, you generally must still file Form I-90 even if you have applied for naturalization. However, if you properly file Form I-90 or you filed your Form N-400 at least six months before your Permanent Resident Card expired, we may issue you an Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT) stamp as temporary proof of your lawful permanent resident status.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My understanding is certainly that you can only apply for citizenship if you have a current green card, and you are not the first person to face having to stump up$00's to renew a green card that you won't need for more than a year or so, tops because you left it too late to apply for citizenship.

For anyone else reading this, you should be applying for citizenship no later than around the eighth anniversary of your (ten year) green card if you want to be reasonably certain that you won't have to renew your green card before you obtain citizenship.
" If your green card has expired, you continue to be a permanent resident of the United States. ... Every day, many citizenship applicants successfully file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with an expiring or expired green card.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 3:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
" If your green card has expired, you continue to be a permanent resident of the United States. ... Every day, many citizenship applicants successfully file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, with an expiring or expired green card.
How do you know this? Where are the figures?
Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is undoubtedly true, assuming all other conditions for being a permanent resident are being met, such as actually living in the US.

The requirement for a current green card to be eligible to apply for US citizenship is a USCIS administrative regulation, which you might be able to challenge in an immigration court, but I suspect that renewing your green card might be cheaper than hiring a lawyer and paying court fees, maybe.
yep.
$540 for GC
$1k for lawyer.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

I decided to pay the additional $$$ to renew my Green Card and treat my experience as an expensive lesson.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 10:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
How do you know this? Where are the figures?
I can read. I do not have figures. Do you have figures for everything you post? Geesh get a life.
You are still a permanent resident, even if your green card has expired. On that basis, many people have chosen to simply apply for U.S. citizenship after their green card has expired, or not bother to renew the green card if it expires while they're waiting for a USCIS decision on their citizenship application.