Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired green card. Need to travel

Expired green card. Need to travel

Old Sep 18th 2017, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Heather1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired green card. Need to travel

My 10 yrs green card expired. I replied. Have appointment for biometrics. I need to travel to Canada. I have a Canadian passport. What else do I need to get back into usa(home)
Old Sep 18th 2017, 8:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired green card. Need to travel

Can you make an infopass app't to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. You won't have an issue getting into Canada but you will have a need for the card at the POE. If you took the expired card along with the receipt for filing for the replacement and a receipt for the biometrics you might be able to get through with just that. The operative word is "might"
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In a similar situation with my daughter's GC - I turned up to the biometrics place with the appointment notice ( that I couldn't manage) and they sorted us out there and then. They took the biometrics and told me that the details were updated in the computer and all was ok for travel. At the very least you could get the I-551 stamp.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I do NOT know the answer to OP's question. What I would say if I was still in practice and was consulted was I can envision the bases of answers, some of which are unique to the land border. I would have called a colleague on the Northern border to ascertain the answer.

Again, I don't know but perceive positive possibilities.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

iarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond reputeiarnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Can you make an infopass app't to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. You won't have an issue getting into Canada but you will have a need for the card at the POE. If you took the expired card along with the receipt for filing for the replacement and a receipt for the biometrics you might be able to get through with just that. The operative word is "might"
The CPB Inspector's Field Manual states that "a LPR presenting an expired 10-year Form I-551 [green card] should be advised to file a Form I-90 with USCIS. No further action is to be taken". The CBP's Carrier Information Guide also allows "LPRs with expired I-551s may be boarded without penalty provided the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date".
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iarnell
The CPB Inspector's Field Manual states that "a LPR presenting an expired 10-year Form I-551 [green card] should be advised to file a Form I-90 with USCIS. No further action is to be taken". The CBP's Carrier Information Guide also allows "LPRs with expired I-551s may be boarded without penalty provided the card was issued with a 10-year expiration date".
I would be anxious the whole time away if I did nothing as you suggest. But sounds like a good call.