Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

diamondgold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

I made a horrible mistake of not realizing my 10-year Green Card expired a few months ago, and unfortunately I am supposed to leave for a pre-paid vacation in 2 days. As soon as I realized my error I efiled for the i90 and received a confirmation receipt online.
So I have a confirmation that I applied for a renewal
an expired greencard
and a valid UK passport

I leave on Monday, so can't get any customer service help because it is the weekend now., Can I travel with the documents above and then when I reach my vacation destination go to the US Embassy to see if i can get an authorization to board a plane after my 10 day trip is up?

many thanks for any suggestions
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Originally Posted by diamondgold
I made a horrible mistake of not realizing my 10-year Green Card expired a few months ago, and unfortunately I am supposed to leave for a pre-paid vacation in 2 days. As soon as I realized my error I efiled for the i90 and received a confirmation receipt online.
So I have a confirmation that I applied for a renewal
an expired greencard
and a valid UK passport

I leave on Monday, so can't get any customer service help because it is the weekend now., Can I travel with the documents above and then when I reach my vacation destination go to the US Embassy to see if i can get an authorization to board a plane after my 10 day trip is up?

many thanks for any suggestions
You could seek a transportation letter to get back but shouldn't need one. Technically, the airline is supposed to board you on the way back anyway considering you have a 10yr card, and it's only expired.

Delta airline's online travel document wizard says the expired card is fine, but we all know that dealing with airlines can be a hassle even under the best circumstances. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...buser=DELTAB2C

Here's a link to the wizard itself:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:44 am
Just Joined

thank you. I am actually traveling with Delta. I was looking everywhere and seeing conflicting info. Often times it depends on the rep you get but I will print this out and take this to the airport with me on Monday.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:47 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Not helpful for your current situation but...
Apply for citizenship when you get back, so you will not have this problem again.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:41 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It's odd that someone can fly a commercial airline back to the US on an expired 10-year green card, but not an expired 10-year passport....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice

Originally Posted by crg
It's odd that someone can fly a commercial airline back to the US on an expired 10-year green card, but not an expired 10-year passport....
This is a tricky one. I suppose because your passport is proving your identity and your nationality. Your green card is of consequence only to US Immigration, save for any legislation that the airline are bound to comply with in terms of who they allowed to board and their admissibility to the US. Given that a 10 year green card holder does not cease to be a permanent resident upon the passing of the expiry date on their card, this is probably why.

It is possible for a UK Citizen to fly to the UK on an expired 10 Year passport. It requires a lot of work, and a lot of understanding on the part of all parties concerned, but it is possible.

What gets me over here is when you can't get in to a bar or buy beer because your State ID or Drivers License is expired.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Default UPDATE Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Well the good news is that i went on my trip and as soon as I arrived at my destination I went to the immigration office in the US Embassy. I showed them my expired card, two passport sized photos and my I-90 e-file receipt. Within 30 mins I received 2 transportation letters for the flight back. One for the airline and one for Customs in the United States.

When I returned to the States I had a very nice agent , two additional checkpoints ( but I wasn't charged a fee) and I was through before my baggage even came down the carousel.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

libra90210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UPDATE Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Originally Posted by diamondgold
When I returned to the States I had a very nice agent
Is that possible?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

for me it was :-)