British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/expired-green-card-need-travel-2-days-726074/)

diamondgold Jul 23rd 2011 11:41 pm

Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

I made a horrible mistake of not realizing my 10-year Green Card expired a few months ago, and unfortunately I am supposed to leave for a pre-paid vacation in 2 days. As soon as I realized my error I efiled for the i90 and received a confirmation receipt online.
So I have a confirmation that I applied for a renewal
an expired greencard
and a valid UK passport

I leave on Monday, so can't get any customer service help because it is the weekend now., Can I travel with the documents above and then when I reach my vacation destination go to the US Embassy to see if i can get an authorization to board a plane after my 10 day trip is up?

many thanks for any suggestions

crg Jul 24th 2011 2:23 am

Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Originally Posted by diamondgold (Post 9514624)
I made a horrible mistake of not realizing my 10-year Green Card expired a few months ago, and unfortunately I am supposed to leave for a pre-paid vacation in 2 days. As soon as I realized my error I efiled for the i90 and received a confirmation receipt online.
So I have a confirmation that I applied for a renewal
an expired greencard
and a valid UK passport

I leave on Monday, so can't get any customer service help because it is the weekend now., Can I travel with the documents above and then when I reach my vacation destination go to the US Embassy to see if i can get an authorization to board a plane after my 10 day trip is up?

many thanks for any suggestions

You could seek a transportation letter to get back but shouldn't need one. Technically, the airline is supposed to board you on the way back anyway considering you have a 10yr card, and it's only expired.

Delta airline's online travel document wizard says the expired card is fine, but we all know that dealing with airlines can be a hassle even under the best circumstances. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...buser=DELTAB2C

Here's a link to the wizard itself:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

diamondgold Jul 24th 2011 3:44 am

thank you. I am actually traveling with Delta. I was looking everywhere and seeing conflicting info. Often times it depends on the rep you get but I will print this out and take this to the airport with me on Monday.

A I Jul 25th 2011 3:47 pm

Not helpful for your current situation but...
Apply for citizenship when you get back, so you will not have this problem again.

crg Jul 25th 2011 10:41 pm

It's odd that someone can fly a commercial airline back to the US on an expired 10-year green card, but not an expired 10-year passport....

iray Jul 26th 2011 3:46 am

Originally Posted by crg (Post 9518950)
It's odd that someone can fly a commercial airline back to the US on an expired 10-year green card, but not an expired 10-year passport....

This is a tricky one. I suppose because your passport is proving your identity and your nationality. Your green card is of consequence only to US Immigration, save for any legislation that the airline are bound to comply with in terms of who they allowed to board and their admissibility to the US. Given that a 10 year green card holder does not cease to be a permanent resident upon the passing of the expiry date on their card, this is probably why.

It is possible for a UK Citizen to fly to the UK on an expired 10 Year passport. It requires a lot of work, and a lot of understanding on the part of all parties concerned, but it is possible.

What gets me over here is when you can't get in to a bar or buy beer because your State ID or Drivers License is expired.

diamondgold Aug 6th 2011 5:44 pm

UPDATE Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Well the good news is that i went on my trip and as soon as I arrived at my destination I went to the immigration office in the US Embassy. I showed them my expired card, two passport sized photos and my I-90 e-file receipt. Within 30 mins I received 2 transportation letters for the flight back. One for the airline and one for Customs in the United States.

When I returned to the States I had a very nice agent :D, two additional checkpoints ( but I wasn't charged a fee) and I was through before my baggage even came down the carousel.

libra90210 Aug 7th 2011 12:59 pm

Re: UPDATE Re: Expired green card and need to travel in 2 days

Originally Posted by diamondgold (Post 9541812)
When I returned to the States I had a very nice agent

Is that possible? :)

diamondgold Aug 7th 2011 6:52 pm

for me it was :-)