British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Expired green card and entering US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/expired-green-card-entering-us-591652/)

crg Feb 16th 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Expired green card and entering US

It's dishonest to use ESTA unless you're seeking to enter the US as a visitor for 90 days or less. You have to decide how you want to handle that problem.

"All information provided by you, or on your behalf by a designated third party, must be true and correct. An electronic travel authorization may be revoked at any time and for any reason, such as new information influencing eligibility. You may be subject to administrative or criminal penalties if you knowingly and willfully make a materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation in an electronic travel authorization application submitted by you or on your behalf."

coffeman Feb 16th 2009 7:36 pm

Zarya: I just sent you a pm! :)

Using ESTA would be dishonest I guess. But the airlines will not let you board on a expired card, never! Unless you are god or something.
Only way would be to use ESTA, if even ESTA would be approved?

Darn, this is complicated aye?

Manc Feb 16th 2009 8:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

which is why I suggested flying into Windsor Ontario via Toronto and turning up at a land border.

and if you get sent back at least you're just sent back over a bridge and not having to sort out an immediate return journey.

Could Folinsky tell me why this is as crappy idea..... because I am sure it is not that simple

meauxna Feb 16th 2009 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7291276)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

which is why I suggested flying into Windsor Ontario via Toronto and turning up at a land border.

and if you get sent back at least you're just sent back over a bridge and not having to sort out an immediate return journey.

Could Folinsky tell me why this is as crappy idea..... because I am sure it is not that simple

IF the Canadians will have you back...

don't forget to meet Canadian entry/exit regs.

crg Feb 16th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7291464)
IF the Canadians will have you back...

don't forget to meet Canadian entry/exit regs.

If the US refuses someone who is arriving from Canada, then Canada *must* take them back. However, an LPR seeking to see the judge should normally not be turned back. Now if Canada takes that person into custody upon return is at their discretion.

zarya Feb 17th 2009 11:49 am

Yeah, this is not easy. I am very confused about what to do, especially since I've already bought the plane ticket.

coffeman Feb 17th 2009 9:28 pm

What if I filed a I-90 or something and used that along with my green card at the airport trying to convince BA to let me board.

I am so sad for even being in this situation. I hate my mom for not giving me my green card back so I could renew it.

englishinfl Feb 17th 2009 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by coffeman (Post 7295449)
What if I filed a I-90 or something and used that along with my green card at the airport trying to convince BA to let me board.

I am so sad for even being in this situation. I hate my mom for not giving me my green card back so I could renew it.

Folinskyinla is the man you need to listen too, the guy's a lawyer, and you have a problem that probably isn't anything anyone would want to comment on and say it's likely to work unless they're .... well, a lawyer.
I'm sure you get my meaning. ;)

crg Feb 17th 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by coffeman (Post 7295449)

A completed I-90 is not a travel document.

coffeman Mar 2nd 2009 5:30 pm

Alright, I have decided to proceed to get the SB1 visa, hopefully.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Frank

Elvira Mar 2nd 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by coffeman (Post 7338224)
Alright, I have decided to proceed to get the SB1 visa, hopefully.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Frank

:blink:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...91&postcount=5

To my mind, if Mr F says the case is 'complicated', it means that involving a competent lawyer might be advisable...

coffeman Mar 2nd 2009 5:44 pm

I know it is a complicated case, but I really do not want to end up getting a 5-10 year ban from the US. That's why I'm going for the SB1.
Just a quick question; Am I able to travel on the vwp with the sb1 application pending? I would really love to go on a quick vacation now, sort things out a bit.