Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Expired green card and entering US

Expired green card and entering US

Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

coffeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expired green card and entering US

crg14624,
I'd have to fill out the I-94 for the green card on the plane, but again I would have filled out the ESTA. It's pretty confusing. :P
I will have a return ticket, no problem. return tickets are cheaper anyways.

Ray,
I am going to pay what my attorney wants for the hearing. I've heard it's around $5000 plus minus for something like that. I can afford that no problem, but I'm not going to pay for it if my case is most likely deemed to fail. I will live by getting a job and living at my friends house meanwhile. Saving up money and try my best at being a good American.

Also it might take over a year until I have the hearing, well hearings actually. As far as I know there are two hearings "master calendar" (preliminary) and the "individual" (merits) hearing. As far as I know DHS requires that I'd be issued a temporary I-551.
Why would I be barred for 5 years? I essentially haven't done anything illegal per say.

Last edited by coffeman; Feb 15th 2009 at 8:52 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeman
crg14624,
I'd have to fill out the I-94 for the green card on the plane, but again I would have filled out the ESTA. It's pretty confusing. :P
I will have a return ticket, no problem. return tickets are cheaper anyways.

Ray,
I am going to pay what my attorney wants for the hearing. I've heard it's around $5000 plus minus for something like that. I can afford that no problem, but I'm not going to pay for it if my case is most likely deemed to fail. I will live by getting a job and living at my friends house meanwhile. Saving up money and try my best at being a good American.
Getting a job at the current time is not such an easy thing ..
there is a major slump on here ..but good luck with your endeavor
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

if someone hands me $5000 I'd tell them anything they wanted to hear.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeman
I have already spoken to a lawyer. He told me I could try to fly on the vwp and show my green card at POE telling the CBP officers I wanted a hearing before a judge.
The lawyer you already spoke with told you which way to do it, right? It's quoted above in the first post you made.

Since you're going to need a lawyer in the USA, you are going to contact that one in Detroit, right? As part of your phone / email consultation with him, ask him this quesiton also.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Wow, you are in a very similar situation like me. I will be flying in to Los Angeles March 15th.
I have no idea how it will go down though.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya
Wow, you are in a very similar situation like me. I will be flying in to Los Angeles March 15th.
I have no idea how it will go down though.
So Zarya, are you using showing your expired green card when boarding the plane? Or not showing it until you arrive at the US POE? This is the OP's quesiton.

Rene
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So Zarya, are you using showing your expired green card when boarding the plane? Or not showing it until you arrive at the US POE? This is the OP's quesiton.

Rene
I will be showing my green card at POE and filling out the LPR I-94 on the plane. I have yet to figure out if they will let me board with a expired green card or not here in Norway.

Coffeman: Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I might be able to answer them. Also I am very eager to hear from you and how things go along the way!

Damn I can't believe I'm down to 28 days.. well 27 days left. I'm scared, excited and scared.

Regards,
Ian
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:48 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to present a completed I-94 and shouldn't sign a visa waiver form and present that to the officers. The airline may give it to you and tell you to complete it, but you should not present it.

Also, when you get sent to see the judge to determine if you are entitled to the LPR status, that's called being put into removal proceedings.

During the proceedings the judge will either admit you as a permanent resident, offer you the opportunity to withdraw your application to be admitted as a permanent resident and leave the country, or order you removed from the United States for 5 years.

You will be seeking to enter the United States without the proper documents and after failing to comply with the terms of your LPR status. That is not without risk.

They parole you in for the hearing, and issue a temp I-551 so you can work while in proceedings. It's a restricted LPR card per se.

Last edited by crg; Feb 15th 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Surely if you use the VWP you are acknowledging you're just a visitor no?
Hi:

Not so. However, OP was planning to use the British PP and non-refundable round trip ticket and expressed no interest to use the VWP to apply for admission. I suggest you read the question posted.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc

fly to Windsor Ontario then and get a cab to the Ambassador bridge then.

nothing ventured nothing gained.
Why do you suggest that?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Well I guess the only OP's concern and mine for that matter would be filling out ESTA or not.
Or if they would let him board with an expired green card.
In my case I highly doubt that since mine expired a long time ago.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Not so. However, OP was planning to use the British PP and non-refundable round trip ticket and expressed no interest to use the VWP to apply for admission. I suggest you read the question posted.
I was asking the question. not saying it as fact.

I didn't know the answer.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:04 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Why do you suggest that?
because he was worried about ESTA and the flights and being able to board the plane and what not.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Well the question is if you're able to enter on VWP and considering the fact that the UK is a part of the VWP and leave the airport on VWP but show green card at POE. And of course you'd have to fill out ESTA.

Also Norway is a part of the VWP so if anyone knows anything about this please tell me. Coffeman, please tell me what you end up doing
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Will /we/ even be approved for ESTA? Since we are still green card "holders"?
Jesus, I must say I am scared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.