Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Experience with getting US passport-sized photos?

Wikiposts

Experience with getting US passport-sized photos?

Old May 9th 2011, 6:41 am
Just Joined

puppygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experience with getting US passport-sized photos?

It dawned on my husband while waiting in line for his medical appointment that the photos he was going to be bringing to his interview at the embassy were British-sized, not the American 2x2. The ones he got ended up being a bit smaller.

He hasn't been able to find anyone in his area (Yorkshire area) that does American sized passport photos, so I looked up Gould's Pharmacy (the one very close by to the embassy itself). Pretty sure they'll get the job done (as they specifically advertise they will) but has anyone had any experience with them wait-time wise, long lines, etc.? He'll probably have to go in right before his 10:00 am interview, but doesn't want to get stuck there waiting.
Old May 9th 2011, 6:47 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience with getting US passport-sized photos?

Are you near these people http://www.yorkplacestudios.co.uk/passportphotos.html

or a Max Speilmans photo shop

or somewhere with one of these photo booths http://www.photomat.eu/photobooth.html

all do US passport photos
Old May 9th 2011, 6:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Do your own photo and get them printed at Boots or where ever.

Oh yeah, you realise these interview times are bulk times, you turn up and first in, first out and it'll be a while, so bring a good long book

Last edited by Bob; May 9th 2011 at 6:51 am.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppygirl
It dawned on my husband while waiting in line for his medical appointment that the photos he was going to be bringing to his interview at the embassy were British-sized, not the American 2x2. The ones he got ended up being a bit smaller.

He hasn't been able to find anyone in his area (Yorkshire area) that does American sized passport photos, so I looked up Gould's Pharmacy (the one very close by to the embassy itself). Pretty sure they'll get the job done (as they specifically advertise they will) but has anyone had any experience with them wait-time wise, long lines, etc.? He'll probably have to go in right before his 10:00 am interview, but doesn't want to get stuck there waiting.
If desperate then max speilmans do them 6 at £9.99, but others have mentione cheaper options and you get them there and then!
Old May 9th 2011, 9:06 am
Just Joined

puppygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.epassportphoto.com/

Do your own photo and get them printed at Boots or where ever.

Oh yeah, you realise these interview times are bulk times, you turn up and first in, first out and it'll be a while, so bring a good long book
I didn't, but thanks for the tip.

And thanks to everybody else for your helpful suggestions! ;D
Old May 9th 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

keepmeistergeneral is an unknown quantity at this point

This has been great, really appreciate the info here and what a wealth of info this site has been. I didn't even think about the difference between USA/UK passport photo sizes, and will make sure I forward the future Mrs Keepmeister
Old May 9th 2011, 9:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keepmeistergeneral
This has been great, really appreciate the info here and what a wealth of info this site has been. I didn't even think about the difference between USA/UK passport photo sizes, and will make sure I forward the future Mrs Keepmeister
Why? According to your other posts, she will not be getting a visa from overseas, so won't have to worry about where to get US sized passport photos....

Rene
Old May 9th 2011, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why? According to your other posts, she will not be getting a visa from overseas, so won't have to worry about where to get US sized passport photos....
Rene
Oh lookee, I got me a fan! Sorry guys, don't let this little ray of sunshine detract from my appreciation for this advice, I've made my fiance aware of this so that she can keep it in mind.
As per the petition for alien relative form, passport photos need to be submitted regardless of the medium the marriage takes place under. Fees still have to be paid, my fiance still needs to be registered with the USA, paperwork still needs to be processed and our country still needs to gather info on her - passport, birth certificate, passport sized photo and so on. Just because we're not using the approved means doesn't change the way they process her details.
Old May 9th 2011, 9:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh lookee, I got me a fan! Sorry guys, don't let this little ray of sunshine detract from my appreciation for this advice, I've made my fiance aware of this so that she can keep it in mind.
As per the petition for alien relative form, passport photos need to be submitted regardless of the medium the marriage takes place under. Fees still have to be paid, my fiance still needs to be registered with the USA, paperwork still needs to be processed and our country still needs to gather info on her - passport, birth certificate, passport sized photo and so on. Just because we're not using the approved means doesn't change the way they process her details.
?? I was being serious. This thread is regarding obtaining US-size passport photos outside the USA, for visa purposes. Your wife won't be getting a visa outside the USA; she will already be inside the USA when it comes time to do all her paperwork, so it will be very easy to get USA size passport photos from inside the USA. There's no need to tell her to get USA size passport photos in the UK, when she doesn't need them.

Rene
Old May 9th 2011, 9:35 am

Just because we're not using the approved means doesn't change the way they process her details.
Yes, it does. Visas are issued by the Dept of State. She's not planning to get a visa. Her AOS paperwork will be processed by USCIS, not Dept of State. Her process details will be vastly different from someone who is getting a visa.

Rene
Old May 9th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

?? I was being serious. This thread is regarding obtaining US-size passport photos outside the USA, for visa purposes. Your wife won't be getting a visa outside the USA; she will already be inside the USA when it comes time to do all her paperwork, so it will be very easy to get USA size passport photos from inside the USA. There's no need to tell her to get USA size passport photos in the UK, when she doesn't need them.
Rene
Ah ok, the I'm sorry ma'am, I was getting a touch sensitive over this visa hoohum. Your point is valid and sound. Aaron
Old May 9th 2011, 3:50 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppygirl

My husband got some photos done at Gould's. There was no wait and they were ready in minutes.They open pretty early as well. He can also leave any electronics, cell phones etc at Gould's . They don't allow them into the embassy.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
By way of general comment, it is my opinion that exact compliance with the US PP photo requirement is not all that necessary anymore. It used to be that the submitted photos were actually used in generation of official documents. This is no longer so. So, it used to be necessary to have pics which matched the requirements to a "t." In my observation, it is not that big a deal anymore.

There is nothing wrong with getting photos that match the spec precisely. That said, the one application that still requires a compliant passport photo is for a US passport.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so I had my photos taken at home with pro camera and re-sized them in photoshop 2in x 2in, then I printed them out at Snappy Snaps at the US format for £5.50 for two photos: then I tried to measure with the ruler exactly all the distances as per the requirements and think it looks pretty much ok, except may be I have left a little bit less white space on the top and they say it should be 1/2 inch...but I think it is probably ok and if there is any problem I should be able to have them done at the pharmacy on the day of the interview, is that right?
Old May 11th 2011, 2:25 am
Just Joined

harrini1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katq
Ok, so I had my photos taken at home with pro camera and re-sized them in photoshop 2in x 2in, then I printed them out at Snappy Snaps at the US format for £5.50 for two photos: then I tried to measure with the ruler exactly all the distances as per the requirements and think it looks pretty much ok, except may be I have left a little bit less white space on the top and they say it should be 1/2 inch...but I think it is probably ok and if there is any problem I should be able to have them done at the pharmacy on the day of the interview, is that right?
It would appear that nothing is straight forward in this whole process! As if it's not stressful enough without worrying that photos are the right size.. Would they let you out mid interview to get replacement photos? Are there no "booths" that can take photos this size or are they all UK format?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.