Existing L1/Applying for new L1

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Danny1c1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Existing L1/Applying for new L1

Hey

I've accepted a job offer in the US. My wife, children and myself will be moving there early-mid feb, all being well. The job is within the same business that I currently work for in the UK, but not a secondment so to speak, so I'm leaving the UK business and joining the US business.

I already have an L1 for similar type of work but on a temporary basis, which is due to expire in August 2022. For that reason, I will apply for a new L1 visa so that I am inline with my family which should make things easier in the long run. They will be applying for L2 visas, attached to my L1.

I am just about to start the application process for my new L1, but was wondering whether a new application voids my existing visa? Asking because I plan to visit the US for work in early-mid Jan on my existing visa for work and slightly worried that I will be turned away if my current visa is void.

If it makes any difference, my existing visa is in a different passport than the one I am attaching my new L1 visa to. I have two passports to aid travel/visa applications.

I know there are extensions available - but it seems a more complicated route than just applying for a new visa alongside my family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Danny
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 11:36 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Existing L1/Applying for new L1

My understanding is that you can apply for a new L1 after a year wait. Not sure if that 1 year wait starts from the expiry of your expiating visa, or your last visit in the US in L1 status. You should talk to your employers lawyer, this will all
likely depend on lots of specific details.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

You will likely be able to reclaim unused time on your L1 that was spent outside the US.

https://www.hooyou.com/L-visa/brief....20respectively.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Danny1c1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably should have waited until I had an answer, but I found out from the companies lawyers this morning that my current L1 will be valid up until the day of the appointment for my new visa, where my existing one will then be "cancelled without prejudice".

May be useful for somebody in the future.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Do a combined amendment with extension.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 9:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny1c1
Hey

I've accepted a job offer in the US. My wife, children and myself will be moving there early-mid feb, all being well. The job is within the same business that I currently work for in the UK, but not a secondment so to speak, so I'm leaving the UK business and joining the US business.

I already have an L1 for similar type of work but on a temporary basis, which is due to expire in August 2022. For that reason, I will apply for a new L1 visa so that I am inline with my family which should make things easier in the long run. They will be applying for L2 visas, attached to my L1.

I am just about to start the application process for my new L1, but was wondering whether a new application voids my existing visa? Asking because I plan to visit the US for work in early-mid Jan on my existing visa for work and slightly worried that I will be turned away if my current visa is void.

If it makes any difference, my existing visa is in a different passport than the one I am attaching my new L1 visa to. I have two passports to aid travel/visa applications.

I know there are extensions available - but it seems a more complicated route than just applying for a new visa alongside my family.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Danny
To be honest, I have trouble understanding your question as stated. But you have discussed it with counsel and got an answer.