Everything Going Wrong

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

a_worried_lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Everything Going Wrong

A year ago I met someone online, we became very close personal friends and she helped me through a lot of hard moments in my life.

So just recently I invited her to stay for several months in the United Kingdom, she's from the United States. I thought she would be able to sleep in my spare room and we could spend time together and she wouldn't need to contribute towards rent, bills or food, I would cover all those expenses.

I never truly researched the process of her arriving in the United Kingdom and the process she would need to go through arriving at the airport. We thought her arriving and stating that I'd be paying the bills and she'd be staying less than the time allowed on the Visa Waiver Scheme would be enough.

So what followed was a nightmare.

She left her job and booked a flight to the United Kingdom, she had a good well paying job that she had worked at for the last three years, but her relationship with me was more important to her than her job and so upon leaving it she spent Christmas with her family and then boarded the flight to the United Kingdom.

She arrived here and was detained by immigration.

She had on her person about £2000 and a return ticket to the United States for 5 months after that point. They questioned her and eventually after interviewing myself and her several times deemed that she would not be allowed entry to the United Kingdom on the grounds that they were not satisfied that she intended to leave at the end of the trip, having no employment or boyfriend to return to in the United States and the length of the trip being so long, they also mentioned that her funds of £2000 were not a great deal and overlooked the funds I would be contributing on the grounds that we had never met in person and I might potentially withdraw financial backing.

We met for the first time in person that night, they allowed her a day pass to get a hotel for the night while they arranged her flight back the next day, we spent the night together and she returned to stay with her family where she is now.

I'm confused about what to do now.

She's currently unemployed.

We thought that she might attempt to return but for a much shorter duration, possibly 2 weeks so at least we could spend some time together, but I'm not sure about how to go about this without risking her immediate deportation once again.

Would applying for a visa in advance assist this?

What are the chances of her being put straight back onto another plane and returned to the United States upon her arrival in the United Kingdom with the intention of staying a much shorter time, due to her being denied entrance?

Does anyone have any advice about how to go about having her return to the United Kingdom in the immediate future?

Thank you in advance to anyone that offers help, it truly is appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

shania20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Everything Going Wrong

Originally Posted by a_worried_lad
A year ago I met someone online, we became very close personal friends and she helped me through a lot of hard moments in my life.

So just recently I invited her to stay for several months in the United Kingdom, she's from the United States. I thought she would be able to sleep in my spare room and we could spend time together and she wouldn't need to contribute towards rent, bills or food, I would cover all those expenses.

I never truly researched the process of her arriving in the United Kingdom and the process she would need to go through arriving at the airport. We thought her arriving and stating that I'd be paying the bills and she'd be staying less than the time allowed on the Visa Waiver Scheme would be enough.

So what followed was a nightmare.

She left her job and booked a flight to the United Kingdom, she had a good well paying job that she had worked at for the last three years, but her relationship with me was more important to her than her job and so upon leaving it she spent Christmas with her family and then boarded the flight to the United Kingdom.

She arrived here and was detained by immigration.

She had on her person about £2000 and a return ticket to the United States for 5 months after that point. They questioned her and eventually after interviewing myself and her several times deemed that she would not be allowed entry to the United Kingdom on the grounds that they were not satisfied that she intended to leave at the end of the trip, having no employment or boyfriend to return to in the United States and the length of the trip being so long, they also mentioned that her funds of £2000 were not a great deal and overlooked the funds I would be contributing on the grounds that we had never met in person and I might potentially withdraw financial backing.

We met for the first time in person that night, they allowed her a day pass to get a hotel for the night while they arranged her flight back the next day, we spent the night together and she returned to stay with her family where she is now.

I'm confused about what to do now.

She's currently unemployed.

We thought that she might attempt to return but for a much shorter duration, possibly 2 weeks so at least we could spend some time together, but I'm not sure about how to go about this without risking her immediate deportation once again.

Would applying for a visa in advance assist this?

What are the chances of her being put straight back onto another plane and returned to the United States upon her arrival in the United Kingdom with the intention of staying a much shorter time, due to her being denied entrance?

Does anyone have any advice about how to go about having her return to the United Kingdom in the immediate future?

Thank you in advance to anyone that offers help, it truly is appreciated.
Hi
Im not sure if you're aware, but the visa waiver scheme going INTO the usa is for a maximum of 90 days stay. I would assume coming INTO the uk on the reciprocal scheme would also only allow for a maximum 90 day stay.

Therefore, the problem has arisen due to her return ticket being for 5 months - this is straight away a no no - and im surprised the checkin agent in the usa allowed her to travel to the UK with a return ticket for that amount of time?

I guess it goes to show UK immigration are doing something - though unfortunately your friend has had the bad end of it. Maybe they could have let her change her ticket to 90 day return. I think they were concerned she would overstay or marry you to stay, as she had severed some ties with the usa (her job) and thats why they rejected her.

I really hope she gets the opportunity to visit you again - make sure its a vacation time (2 weeks) so as not to concern immigration. Did they stamp her passport with anything relating to the refusal?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shania20
Hi
Im not sure if you're aware, but the visa waiver scheme going INTO the usa is for a maximum of 90 days stay. I would assume coming INTO the uk on the reciprocal scheme would also only allow for a maximum 90 day stay.

Therefore, the problem has arisen due to her return ticket being for 5 months - this is straight away a no no - and im surprised the checkin agent in the usa allowed her to travel to the UK with a return ticket for that amount of time?

I guess it goes to show UK immigration are doing something - though unfortunately your friend has had the bad end of it. Maybe they could have let her change her ticket to 90 day return. I think they were concerned she would overstay or marry you to stay, as she had severed some ties with the usa (her job) and thats why they rejected her.

I really hope she gets the opportunity to visit you again - make sure its a vacation time (2 weeks) so as not to concern immigration. Did they stamp her passport with anything relating to the refusal?

Yes, they apparantly marked her passport as having been denied entry once.

The Visa Waiver Scheme into the United Kingdom allows for stays for up to 6 months instead of the 90 days which the US waiver allows, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks a lot though, it really is appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they apparantly marked her passport as having been denied entry once.

The Visa Waiver Scheme into the United Kingdom allows for stays for up to 6 months instead of the 90 days which the US waiver allows, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks a lot though, it really is appreciated.

Well if it were you coming into the States and you were denied entrance, returned home and your passport notated, then you would not be able to use the VWP again. You would require a US tourist visa to enter the US.

Now the question is: Is it the same for her to visit the UK in the future? Will she need a tourist visa to enter rather than the VWP?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Well if it were you coming into the States and you were denied entrance, returned home and your passport notated, then you would not be able to use the VWP again. You would require a US tourist visa to enter the US.

Now the question is: Is it the same for her to visit the UK in the future? Will she need a tourist visa to enter rather than the VWP?

Does anyone know for 100% certain if using the visa waiver coming INTO the UK is good for upto 180 days?

Its good for them, but not so good for us as we only get the standard 90 days on the waiver, and need to apply for the B1/B2 visa for up to 6 months stay?

Would it not be reciprocal, 90 days each country? Il be bummed, but not surprised, if we're missing out!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shania20
Does anyone know for 100% certain if using the visa waiver coming INTO the UK is good for upto 180 days?

Its good for them, but not so good for us as we only get the standard 90 days on the waiver, and need to apply for the B1/B2 visa for up to 6 months stay?

Would it not be reciprocal, 90 days each country? Il be bummed, but not surprised, if we're missing out!

I just checked the British Consulate's website. The only info they have is that a typical visitor's visa is 6 months. This is not the same thing as the VWP. I do believe the lad is incorrect in his assumption but don't have the time to pursue the research to prove my belief.

What are you missing out on? Extended stay in the UK? Then go for a formal tourist visa if you want to stay longer. Nothing stopping you from doing that. But then you will have to pay a fee and complete an application.

Rete

Rete
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

I just checked the British Consulate's website. The only info they have is that a typical visitor's visa is 6 months. This is not the same thing as the VWP. I do believe the lad is incorrect in his assumption but don't have the time to pursue the research to prove my belief.

What are you missing out on? Extended stay in the UK? Then go for a formal tourist visa if you want to stay longer. Nothing stopping you from doing that. But then you will have to pay a fee and complete an application.

Rete

Rete

Certainly NOT :scared: wanting extended time in the UK! No, i would just love to be able to stay in the US for up to 6 months on a visa waiver!

(I know i can apply for an extended tourist visa (B1/B2?) but have heard of refusals, which then invalidates the use of the visa waiver, and would necessitate having to get a visa for EVERY trip to the US!)

Hope the guy can sort his 'girlfriend' out.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

seems to me that she didn't have considerable ties to the home country to provide proof that she didn't have immigrant intent.

lets look at the evidence.
she quit her job, had $2000+, wanted 5 months entry to be with a guy she'd met online.

looks to me and quite possibly the British immigration officer that you two would hook up and near the time it was for her to go home, then a registry office wedding might have taken place.

Hence she was denied, remember with immigration it's guilty unless you can prove otherwise.

British visitor visa from the USA is good for 6 months.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Manc
seems to me that she didn't have considerable ties to the home country to provide proof that she didn't have immigrant intent.

lets look at the evidence.
she quit her job, had $2000+, wanted 5 months entry to be with a guy she'd met online.

looks to me and quite possibly the British immigration officer that you two would hook up and near the time it was for her to go home, then a registry office wedding might have taken place.

Hence she was denied, remember with immigration it's guilty unless you can prove otherwise.

British visitor visa from the USA is good for 6 months.
Visitor's visa, yes. I've already looked that up on the Consulate's website. However, what about the length of stay under the VWP? Can she still use the VWP after being denied entrance to the UK?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 4:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Visitor's visa, yes. I've already looked that up on the Consulate's website. However, what about the length of stay under the VWP? Can she still use the VWP after being denied entrance to the UK?

Enquiring minds would like to know.
the VWP, (British equivalent)
the one you get at POE after filling in forms on the plane.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

How likely is she to be refused entry again if she attempts to enter for just two weeks due to her passport being stamped and her being denied once already?

That's my main concern.

We were both told upon her being denied that there would be nothing to stop her from attempting to re enter the country and that the case would be looked at each time and that she would be allowed entry if the immigration officer was satisfied with her case.

I'm just worried about her spending the money to get here and then being turned away again.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:36 pm
@matthewb76

How likely is she to be refused entry again if she attempts to enter for just two weeks due to her passport being stamped and her being denied once already?

That's my main concern.

We were both told upon her being denied that there would be nothing to stop her from attempting to re enter the country and that the case would be looked at each time and that she would be allowed entry if the immigration officer was satisfied with her case.

I'm just worried about her spending the money to get here and then being turned away again.
I would get a visa in the passport before travelling again from the local UK consul.
you should also send her a letter of invitation to support her claim for a visa.