Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Europe Travel Ban Exception - New GCH

Europe Travel Ban Exception - New GCH

Old Jun 29th 2021, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Europe Travel Ban Exception - New GCH

My situation is such that I departed the U.S. on 6/23 as an L1 and my GC (AoS I-485) just got approved yesterday (6/28) as per USCIS. I intend to travel back to the U.S. on 7/3 but I still haven’t heard back from the U.S. Embassy in London regarding my submitted NIE request. Can I attempt to board a flight with a valid L1 visa without an approved NIE given that technically I am already a PR, just not in possession of the card itself?
Old Jun 29th 2021, 10:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe Travel Ban Exception - New GCH

You can always make the attempt, but without the correct paper work in your hand I doubt you would succeed.

If things haven't changed too much since I worked at Heathrow, the airline might be persuaded to contact the USCIS staff at the airport and have them check your GC status. If they do that the USCIS staff might give you clearance to fly. To use those famous words, "Do you feel lucky"
Old Jun 29th 2021, 11:29 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Same happened to me 10 years ago. I called and was told to email London CBP at a .state.gov email address, first they mentioned a transportation letter, then they asked how long my AP was valid and finally told me to travel on my L1, CBP @ EWR would not even look up that I was a PR, and stamped me back in as L1… I then popped back to London for a couple of days later that week after picking up the card. Sounds like with the travel ban/NIE etc you may need a transportation letter assuming you can’t wait and have someone courier the card to you.

P.s. congrats on being “greened”

Last edited by tht; Jun 29th 2021 at 11:33 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2021, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If things haven't changed too much since I worked at Heathrow, the airline might be persuaded to contact the USCIS staff at the airport and have them check your GC status. If they do that the USCIS staff might give you clearance to fly. To use those famous words, "Do you feel lucky"
Originally Posted by tht
Same happened to me 10 years ago. I called and was told to email London CBP at a .state.gov email address, first they mentioned a transportation letter, then they asked how long my AP was valid and finally told me to travel on my L1, CBP @ EWR would not even look up that I was a PR, and stamped me back in as L1… I then popped back to London for a couple of days later that week after picking up the card. Sounds like with the travel ban/NIE etc you may need a transportation letter assuming you can’t wait and have someone courier the card to you.

P.s. congrats on being “greened”
Thanks!

I sent the Embassy a message regarding the Transportation Letter.

I also have a valid I-131 on me, perhaps staff @ Heathrow can have that get checked with USCIS? (As the A number effectively identifies me as a PR.)
Old Jun 30th 2021, 11:16 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

You say your card was only approved yesterday 6/28, the system back when I became a PR would update to say it was produced / mailed etc and then it arrived 4 or 5 days later. I assume that’s why you can’t wait to have it couriered, because it could still be a week or 2 ?
Old Jun 30th 2021, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
You say your card was only approved yesterday 6/28, the system back when I became a PR would update to say it was produced / mailed etc and then it arrived 4 or 5 days later. I assume that’s why you can’t wait to have it couriered, because it could still be a week or 2 ?
According to USCIS, the AoS was approved 6/28 and the card was produced even before then on 6/25. Unfortunately, no one other than me has access to the mailbox key in Los Angeles where the actual document will arrive from USCIS. I'll try my luck (LHR to LAX) on Saturday using the AP I-131 if I don't receive the NIE by then, and will share my experience here. If I do receive the NIE I'll just enter on the L-1A as normal.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I never heard back from the U.S. Embassy in London regarding my NIE request. 6 business days have passed. In January, February and March it took them 3-4 business days.

And so I mustered all my courage and, with dread, I attempted to board my flight (AA 87 LHR to ORD) on Sat 7/3 with these in my hand:
  • Passport
  • Valid L-1A visa
  • EAD/AP combined card (I-512 Advance Parole)
  • Printout of my attorney’s scanned copy of the I-485 Approval Notice (the original, including my card, awaits me at my home in LA)

The CBP-affiliated (don’t know for sure what government body they work for) officers wear grey suits and there’s a separate line at the T5 American Airlines check-in counter if you don’t hold a U.S. Passport or Green Card.

The first CBP officer (alongside with an AA staff member) looked at my EAD/AP card and said “no”. Then he catered for a larger group of family. It took a long while to get that family processed, and as luck would have it, a second CBP officer came over to me. He looked at my passport, the EAD/AP card and I showed him the printout approval notice, and explained that I just became a PR while on my UK trip. He inputted something into his phone (either my passport number or EAD/AP card number or my Green Card number from the printout). He then told me I am good to go.

Upon landing, Global Entry of course did not work and got the cross. I saw an officer who redirected me to Secondary Inspection (he held onto my passport and EAD/AP). About 30 mins later I was good to go. My I-94 record shows “DA” for class of admission and my stay is valid for 1 year.

I intend to do a day-trip to Mexico in the coming weeks and re-enter the U.S. with my Green Card.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 10:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you have to go to Mexico? Once you receive your GC, it doesn’t have to be “activated.”
Old Jul 4th 2021, 2:18 am
tht

Originally Posted by destone
I never heard back from the U.S. Embassy in London regarding my NIE request. 6 business days have passed. In January, February and March it took them 3-4 business days.

And so I mustered all my courage and, with dread, I attempted to board my flight (AA 87 LHR to ORD) on Sat 7/3 with these in my hand:
  • Passport
  • Valid L-1A visa
  • EAD/AP combined card (I-512 Advance Parole)
  • Printout of my attorney’s scanned copy of the I-485 Approval Notice (the original, including my card, awaits me at my home in LA)

The CBP-affiliated (don’t know for sure what government body they work for) officers wear grey suits and there’s a separate line at the T5 American Airlines check-in counter if you don’t hold a U.S. Passport or Green Card.

The first CBP officer (alongside with an AA staff member) looked at my EAD/AP card and said “no”. Then he catered for a larger group of family. It took a long while to get that family processed, and as luck would have it, a second CBP officer came over to me. He looked at my passport, the EAD/AP card and I showed him the printout approval notice, and explained that I just became a PR while on my UK trip. He inputted something into his phone (either my passport number or EAD/AP card number or my Green Card number from the printout). He then told me I am good to go.

Upon landing, Global Entry of course did not work and got the cross. I saw an officer who redirected me to Secondary Inspection (he held onto my passport and EAD/AP). About 30 mins later I was good to go. My I-94 record shows “DA” for class of admission and my stay is valid for 1 year.

I intend to do a day-trip to Mexico in the coming weeks and re-enter the U.S. with my Green Card.
according to this that means the admitted you on advance parole:

https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/ESA/eaz-manual/USCIS%20I-94%20Table.pdf

You
r employer should update your I-9 as well now. You can just show them the I-551 card now you are an LPR.