Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA traveling with a criminal record

ESTA traveling with a criminal record

Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:34 am
Just Joined

cstarr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA traveling with a criminal record

Hi there, never posted before but my sister recommended me to this site.

I'm hoping to travel to the US at the end of the year to surprise my boyfriend for his birthday. I know that he has a criminal record but with NO convictions, only a caution in burglary and breaking an entering.

I know that you can not travel if the conviction falls under being a crime involving moral turpitude like burglary does and breaking an entering doesn't but does it matter that it's not a conviction it's only a caution?! He was never charged with anything, he never had to pay a fine or went to prison, he just got a slap on the wrist.

The criminal record is wiped when he turns 25 which is a years time as he was cautioned as a teenager, but does it not matter that it is a caution not a conviction? I haven't been able to find anything that helps.

Is there anyone I can call who can advise me?

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA traveling with a criminal record

Hi - the questions on the ESTA form are pretty clear. The only complication is the definition of "crime of moral turpitude", but in your boyfriend's case this is not an issue (burglary is a CIMT).
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cstarr1
Hi there, never posted before but my sister recommended me to this site.
Bex2203, I'm guessing!

I know that you can not travel if the conviction falls under being a crime involving moral turpitude like burglary does and breaking an entering doesn't but does it matter that it's not a conviction it's only a caution?
Theft, of any sort, is a CIMT. The question asks whether or not you have ever been arrested or convicted of a CIMT. Was he arrested? If so, then he is not eligible to use the VWP and must apply for a B-2 visa. End of story.

If he was not arrested, keep in mind that a caution is an admission of guilt regardless... and the US has recently stepped up scrutiny of UK cautions - and such scrutiny is causing a 25-30 week delay on all such decisions. So... plan accordingly.

The criminal record is wiped when he turns 25 which is a years time...
With respect, this makes no difference to the US... and it's US law you're dealing with here!

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Burglary is clearly a CIMT, so if he was arrested and taken to a police station, he'll need a B2.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Hi - the questions on the ESTA form are pretty clear. The only complication is the definition of "crime of moral turpitude", but in your boyfriend's case this is not an issue (burglary is a CIMT).
"Common law burglary" is indeed a CIMT. That said, the classification as a CIMT may very well depend upon the elements of the actual statute under consideration. For example, here in the Golden State, Penal Code section 415 "burglary" has been held to NOT be "categorically" a CIMT.

This can be a topic of a long legal discussion beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Haha yeah bex! Haha, I've travelled to America before on an ESTA so I know I'm fine, which is good!

I've never heared of a B-2 visa, is it more difficult to apply for one?

Thank you
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly more involved and expensive than an ESTA application.

Your bf will need to apply for an ACPO certificate as a first step. If that comes back with no details of his caution, he'll also need a Subject Access Request from the police force that cautioned him.

Once he has these things, he can then make a visa application. This involves an online application form (in a lot of detail), paying for the visa processing and attending an interview at a US consulate.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Haha yeah bex! Haha, I've travelled to America before on an ESTA so I know I'm fine, which is good!

Thank you
Everything M/c said above, plus you're hoping to travel "at the end of the year", which I suspect is now unlikely as it would be financially reckless to buy tickets until he has the B-2 visa in his hand, and this is going to take about six months because his initial application will be rejected and then he'll need a waiver of inadmissibility, which takes upwards of 20 weeks.

If his criminal record doesn't include recent activity then, with appropriate evidence of current good moral character (remorse and exemplary behavior) he should be granted a visa, but that can't be guaranteed.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks everyone, I don't think it's gonna be possible.
This is why I will advise everyone to stay out of trouble if they ever want to see the world!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

n1cholas90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd personally go ahead and apply for the B-2 visa - that is the only way you're going to know whether you can travel or not. Worst case scenario - you get denied and you're out of pocket $160 - on the other hand, and its certainly possible, you may get approved and away you go on your trip as planned.

I recall seeing one user on the forum very recently being approved a full 10 year, multiple entry B-2 visa on the day of his interview at the embassy, and he had 2 cautions on his record, one of which relating to a controlled substance - the cautions I believe were 9 years old, so a little further in the past, but still - not years and years ago by any means.

It certainly does not seem to be as black and white as a definite denial and therefore requiring a waiver of ineligibility with a 24 week wait for all people with cautions on record.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 2:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... The criminal record is wiped when he turns 25 .....
Not for US visa application purposes it isn't, it stands forever.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Theft, of any sort, is a CIMT. The question asks whether or not you have ever been arrested or convicted of a CIMT. Was he arrested? If so, then he is not eligible to use the VWP and must apply for a B-2 visa. End of story.
Beg to differ slightly -- as noted in the sticky above, "joy riding" is NOT a CIMT. However, in the "aggravated felony" arena for theft related offenses, joy riding is within the definition. It is one of those crimes that is not CIMT but can be an "aggravated felony."

BTW, "aggravated felony" is NOT a ground of inadmissibility.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
... as noted in the sticky above, "joy riding" is NOT a CIMT.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because there is no intent to stea... umm... use the car for anything more than a temporary time period?

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:02 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that because there is no intent to stea... umm... use the car for anything more than a temporary time period?

Ian
A "temporary" theft is not a CIMT but is still a theft.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A "temporary" theft is not a CIMT but is still a theft.
So, Ben Gates didn't commit a CIMT when he stole the Declaration of Independence - since it was only ever temporary - but he still commited theft! Ah, got it.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.