Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

As far as immigration laws are concerned, they don't need a conviction or even an arrest....simple suspicion is more than enough to ding you. Right or wrong, your name popped up somewhere on the system and caught their attention.

As you've correctly observed, it's up to you to meet the burden of proving that you're indeed squeeky clean. Although things like a clean criminal record and shot gun licenses can help, the embassy at this point is more concerned about any potential propensity you may have to commit any future transgressions. Character references are a step in the right direction, but that alone probably isn't enough. Perhaps also consider severing all ties with this well club?

If you're serious and determined about getting a visa then a consultation and guidance from an experienced immigration attorney is probably your best bet in overcoming this issue.

Originally Posted by Dreameline
So, my visa application has been denied, pending further investigation. I'm still not sure what I'm being accused of, but I now know it's something to do with my "association" with a well known motor cycle club. I DJ'd for them at their annual festival last year & the year before (but not this year). I also sent a text message to one a couple of weeks ago, to see if he could get me passes for a gig. Unless they're monitoring his phone, I don't know how else they would know that.

Either way, I have no criminal record, am not a member of a biker gang, don't have a motorbike & don't have a license for a motorbike. I'm also smart enough to realise that these can be dangerous people & not to get caught up in their "business", but it's also better to be on good terms with them.

I was a bit flustered, when I was given the 221(g) letter (with "Additional information is required to process your application" checked), so didn't find out what I'm supposed to do now. He said that it's not an outright denial, but they need to do some further investigations: At the time, I took that to mean that they will do the investigation & I have to wait, but reading the letter it seems that they want me to come up with more "evidence".

I'm a trustee for a charity, so they're going to get me CRB checked to prove my lack of criminal record (spent or unspent) & will get a bunch of character references. He didn't seem impressed that I have SC clearance & a shot gun certificate: both require a squeeky clean record.

Is there anything else you would recommend? Is it worth getting legal advice?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Dreameline is an unknown quantity at this point

So... I sought advice from an immigration lawyer & sent off an 8 page letter, with around 60 supporting documents (via DX), just before Christmas. My CRB check came through too late to include with the main pack, but I sent that, via Special Delivery, on Tuesday. I explained the line of questioning to my lawyer & she helped with the documentation pack; this included a full explanation of how I know any bikers, the extent of my "association" & details of any communications from the past year; medical evidence to show that I can't take illegal drugs or drink; explanations as to how my job, hobbies & charity work would be jeapordised if I got a criminal record; plus all the "usual" stuff to show that I don't intend to try & stay there & can support myself etc. The lawyer said I have a good case.
Today, I received an e-mail, from the embassy, stating that I have to go back for a second interview! I've requested an appointment for next week & asked that they let me know what, if any, issues/queries they may have, in advance, so that I can prepare. Is this common? Does anyone know what I should expect?
Old May 29th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

yasserabbass is an unknown quantity at this point

Name: Yasser Abbass

I am very interested to know what finally occured regarding this as I am too in the same boat.

I have been to the US before in 2006 prior to the scheme that is now in use and most recently went in March of this year (by road from Canada) however as I was not aware that the Visa Waiver Scheme was not applicable if entering the US by a land border crossing, when applying via the ESTA Visa Waiver Scheme, I got a ''Travel Not Authorised' response. After panicing (as I was flying to Canada a few days later) I read that the Visa Waiver was not required as I was crossing the border by land and continued my journey.

When crossing the Canadian/US border, I was detained for several hours with all the checks and finger print scans being done and continued into my journey to the USA which was only scheduled for one day. I certainly did not mind that the checks were being done as I had nothing to hide and co-operated. All of the documentation regarding my schedule and flight information from the UK were copied by the US border control officer and when I enquired as to what the concern was, I was informed that my name flagged up on their system thus the checks needed to be made. I did ask if such an issue would not occur in the future and was assured that my details were saved to the system so that a repeat of the occurance could be avoided.

I recently applied for the ESTA Visa Waiver Program as my wife and I have a trip to New York booked in September and yet again I got the 'Travel Not Authorised' response. This time, as I am flying directly to New York, I am having to go to the US Embassy and apply for a Non-Immigrant (Tourist) Visa, DS-160.

The fee for the Visa Waiver itself is $14 however where in my case, should you be denied travel authorisation, you are not given any reason as to why this occured. Surely a reason should be listed, typical US.

In my case, I hoped that the system the US use was able to identify my passport details and biometric scans from my entry in March 2012 so that the travel authorisation was passed however unfortunately that does not prove to be the case. Now, I am having to take a days leave from work and pay an additional $160 to make a visa application/interview at the US Embassy in London and provide even further evidence that my trip is genuine and that I am a genuine visitor to the USA.

It upsets me that the system being used is flawed as it clearly is not being updated with the information obtained in March 2012, there is no explanation as to why authorisation is not approved and furthermore I am having to spend more money in order to obtain a visa for a country which a majority of UK Citizens do not need to apply for as they simply get a visa waiver (something I was denied).

Reading more and more into this situation however I do not think that this situation applies to me only as it would seem that many other British Nationals who are muslim have suffered the same fate. I am all for countries making sure the wrong people do not enter their countries however it would seem that the Visa Waiver Program which the US use targets certain types of people based puerly on their names (religion) which is wrong.

Regardless, I am having to make the application for a Visa, but would like to know how long the process was for you (if you did go eventually) and what additional documentation you took with you. I plan to take my birth certificate, previous expired passport (showing my last US stamp), land registry statement showing I own a home here in the UK, bank and savings statements, Flight booking, hotel booking, letter from sister-in-law who lives in NEw York to confirm we will also stay with her for a few days whilst there. What else can I show them to prove I am a genuine visitor?
Old May 29th 2012, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yasserabbass
I was not aware that the Visa Waiver Scheme was not applicable if entering the US by a land border crossing.
ESTA is required when flying to the US. ESTA is not required when crossing the Canadian/US border by land. The VWP rules are still applicable.

I did ask if such an issue would not occur in the future and was assured that my details were saved to the system so that a repeat of the occurance could be avoided.
They lied to you... they are allowed to lie to you.

This time, as I am flying directly to New York, I am having to go to the US Embassy and apply for a Non-Immigrant (Tourist) Visa, DS-160.
You will need either an approved ESTA or an approved B-2 visa.

What else can I show them to prove I am a genuine visitor?
You need to demonstrate that you need to return to the UK. Your list of items doesn't demonstrate the need to return... they demonstrate only that you can return and that you should return. A letter from your employer indicating that you are expected back on a specific date would help.

Ian
Old May 29th 2012, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yasserabbass
Name: Yasser Abbass

What else can I show them to prove I am a genuine visitor?
My layman's opinion is that someone with the same (or similar) name to yours got put on a watch list. Now your name gets flagged and does not authorize you for ESTA, and that also explains the grilling you got at the land border crossing.

Just so you know, so you won't get shocked if it happens, you could be put on Administrative Processing (AP) even AFTER your visitor visa interview. This means that your name has matched someone on the watch list, and DHS needs to do some manual labor to make sure you are NOT that person. AP could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to a year or more.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

One Life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My layman's opinion is that someone with the same (or similar) name to yours got put on a watch list. Now your name gets flagged and does not authorize you for ESTA, and that also explains the grilling you got at the land border crossing.

Just so you know, so you won't get shocked if it happens, you could be put on Administrative Processing (AP) even AFTER your visitor visa interview. This means that your name has matched someone on the watch list, and DHS needs to do some manual labor to make sure you are NOT that person. AP could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to a year or more.

Rene
Hi Yasser,
Is there an update on your situation?

Rene, I read a thread here in which someone wrote that anyone with a denied ESTA could not cross by land either, and needed a visa. But Yasser had a denied ESTA and was successful in crossing the border. So, which one is it?

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:43 am
Just Joined

I can confirm..

I was denied an ESTA (Which was not needed for land crossings in the USA).

I was then given entry (after a 4 hour wait where a lot of investigations were done) to the USA.

I have just returned from New York (seperate trip) by plane. I applied for another ESTA in June and that too was denied. I appealed online (there is a way for this) and mentioned my situation in March (giving my application number etc) and this was accepted. My ESTA was then given and I had no issues going to the USA at all.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Yasser, and glad it all worked out for you. It was probably your name that they had to "clear". You appealed online the denied ESTA, meaning through Redress, right?

Now my question is this: with a Visa denied (214(b) and an ESTA denied (and I'd inform them of such), can I try to cross by land if I take all my docs proving ties, etc?
I mean, if I went through Vancouver, even if I were denied entry into the US, I could still go back to Vancouver and enjoy some vacation there as plan B.

Last edited by One Life; Oct 9th 2012 at 9:10 am.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Yes that sounds like a plan.

To be honest, they go on about how it all depends on the officer at the time. I am greatful that I had a decent officer at the Vancouver border.

Just take all your documentation showing you plans in the USA etc and in Canada.

and Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Life
Thanks, Yasser, and glad it all worked out for you. It was probably your name that they had to "clear". You appealed online the denied ESTA, meaning through Redress, right?

Now my question is this: with a Visa denied (214(b) and an ESTA denied (and I'd inform them of such), can I try to cross by land if I take all my docs proving ties, etc?
I mean, if I went through Vancouver, even if I were denied entry into the US, I could still go back to Vancouver and enjoy some vacation there as plan B.
At the land border you still have to fill out a form that has the same questions on it as the ESTA, which will include "have you ever been denied entry into the USA"......good luck!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Life
Sure you can try! However, as lisa67 already mentioned, you must complete an I-94W at a land crossing - and it has the exact same questions as on ESTA... y'know, the pesky one about having ever been denied a visa. You should assume that the CBP officer at the border will have access to your prior ESTA and visa denials.

For many people, Vancouver would be Plan A! But yes, staying in Canada can always be the backup plan!

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

No-one has really mentioned the main point, which is why does associating with a biker gang automatically make you suspect?

I have a pet peeve about this one because there was a Canadian member of the Hell's Angels who was murdered in the UK and everyone in the press here and elsewhere went on at length how this guy must have been up to no good, etc. and it turned out that he had zero convictions, zero run-ins with the law and he was just randomly targeted by another biker gang. His interest was purely in motorbikes: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/no...-angels-murder

Just because you're a member of a biker "gang" does not ipso facto mean you are a criminal. They might be up to no good in the US and Canada on a more regular basis, but in Europe I think there is a large degree of hyperbole, it's just people pretending they are bad asses in many cases.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:19 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I would not encourage someone who has been denied a visa and an ESTA to seek entry at a land border under the VWP just because one person reports being allowed in. It seems like some people are being nonchalant about suggesting this but they aren't the one who could be arrested. Although a person seeking to enter by land doesn't need to apply for an ESTA first, people with a denied ESTA must have a visa before seeking entry at any air, land, or sea port of entry.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks crg.

That's exactly my doubt: if one was denied a visa and ESTA, some people -like you- say one can´t cross by land either, while others say one still can.
Yasser was successful, but I don´t know if this was an exception, and everyone else in the same situation is turned away.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:47 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Everything on their official site refers people with ESTA denials to a consulate to apply for a visa. Nothing on their site instructs such travelers to simply reroute through Canada or Mexico.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ml#ESTADenials

Q: What should a traveler do if he or she is not approved for travel through ESTA?
A: If an ESTA application is denied and the traveler wishes to continue with the trip, the traveler will be required to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For more about visa application procedures.

I don't know what happened with the other guy but it is not uncommon for strange reports about things that happen at the border.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.