Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA Problem - Urgent advice please

Wikiposts

ESTA Problem - Urgent advice please

Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:12 am
Just Joined

The-Vecchio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA Problem - Urgent advice please

A family member of mine is traveling to America in forty days, planning to travel on the free waiver program. She applied for the ESTA today. The travel agent filled out the form but mistakenly ticked yes to questions B and C, ones involving espionage and crime. The ESTA was obviously denied and now my family member is now flagged as a war criminal, spy, etc. How do we rectify this mistake?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ESTA Problem - Urgent advice please

Wow, damn. I know you can re-apply to ESTA after a few days, so doing that and ticking no to the relevant questions might be all you need to do. If that doesn't work I'm not sure how to proceed...
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Wow, damn. I know you can re-apply to ESTA after a few days, so doing that and ticking no to the relevant questions might be all you need to do. If that doesn't work I'm not sure how to proceed...
My guess would be to contact an experienced immigration attorney, and I doubt that it is possible to just change the answers to such serious questions without some supporting information/ explanation, especially after just a few days.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I doubt that it is possible to just change the answers to such serious questions without some supporting information/ explanation, especially after just a few days.
Theoretically I agree, but is there any harm in trying? I imagine if the answers are changed they'll be checked but come back clean?

Certainly start looking for an attorney, they don't charge that much for an initial consultation - but if there's nothing to lose, try the ESTA again too.

EDIT: and also write a very stern letter to the travel agency, they should compensate you for the lawyers fees at least.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Theoretically I agree, but is there any harm in trying? I imagine if the answers are changed they'll be checked but come back clean?

Certainly start looking for an attorney, they don't charge that much for an initial consultation - but if there's nothing to lose, try the ESTA again too.

EDIT: and also write a very stern letter to the travel agency, they should compensate you for the lawyers fees at least.
Agreed, I see no harm in trying. In deed, until they have tried they won't know if they actually even have a problem.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:30 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The-Vecchio
A family member of mine is traveling to America in forty days, planning to travel on the free waiver program. She applied for the ESTA today. The travel agent filled out the form but mistakenly ticked yes to questions B and C, ones involving espionage and crime. The ESTA was obviously denied and now my family member is now flagged as a war criminal, spy, etc. How do we rectify this mistake?
A very good indication of why you should not allow somebody else to fill out such forms for you. Or at the very least make sure they don't get submitted until you have checked them.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
A very good indication of why you should not allow somebody else to fill out such forms for you. Or at the very least make sure they don't get submitted until you have checked them.
Yes, indeed!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

A visa application might be in order.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there a number which people posted some time ago, which you can call to straighten things out in situations like these?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

OP, have a look at the answer to Question 3 on this help page from the ESTA people, it says you can email them.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ta-application

It seems like you should be able to sort it out quite quickly.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:12 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

OMG. I would be quite perturbed. I'd try the ESTA email address but agree that a visa application may in order. Check the current wait time for an appointment at the consulate.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

This thread unearthed the ESTA-specific helpline, which was used when incorrect data resulted in a denial. The number and alternatives can be found here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices/?p=503.