Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA permissible for naturlization?

Wikiposts

ESTA permissible for naturlization?

Old Sep 17th 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about
Default ESTA permissible for naturlization?

My USC wife and (british citizen) son have been called for an interview for N600K naturlization for our son. I just applied and received an ESTA for myself and my son but am now wondering whether it is permissible for him to travel on an ESTA for this purpose. Can anyone tell me if an ESTA is ok, or will a visa be needed? We have no intention to remain and the flight is already booked to return on the night of the interview.

Last edited by casalottian; Sep 17th 2012 at 4:34 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA permissible for naturlization?

Based on this, from the N600K form instructions, I think their is no problem using VWP/Esta for this purpose. I cannot think of a visa that would be more appropriate.

Purpose of Form :
For a child who regularly resides abroad to claim U.S. citizenship based on parentage.

This is just my opinion. First time I have heard of this situation.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RICH
Based on this, from the N600K form instructions, I think their is no problem using VWP/Esta for this purpose. I cannot think of a visa that would be more appropriate.
Well, according to this: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

9 FAM 41.31 N14.6 Issuance of B-2 Visa for
Expeditious Naturalization of a Child under INA 322

a. Naturalization is a permissible activity in B-2 status. You may issue a B-2
visa to an eligible foreign-born child to facilitate that child's expeditious
naturalization pursuant to INA 322. The child's intended naturalization,
however, does not exempt the child from the requirements of INA
214(b); the child must intend to return to a residence abroad after
naturalization. A child whose parents are residing abroad will generally
overcome the presumption of intended immigration, whereas a child
whose parents habitually reside in the United States will not.
So it would seem a B-2 is permissible. My query was really whether it was also necessary.

The permitted use of an ESTA is (I believe) tourism or business. I'm not sure whether either of those purposes fits a naturlization interview.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by casalottian; Sep 17th 2012 at 6:50 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:17 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casalottian
Well, according to this: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

So it would seem a B-2 is permissible. My query was really whether it was also necessary.

The permitted use of an ESTA is (I believe) tourism or business. I'm not sure whether either of those purposes fits a naturlization interview.

Thanks for your reply.
Lucky for me I qualified my answer.(ie I don't really know)
Incidentally, if you end up with a dual citizenship child, it is worth considering dual citizenship for yourself and the other parent, if it is in the realms of possibility - for future visitation etc.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

if you end up with a dual citizenship child, it is worth considering dual citizenship for yourself and the other parent, if it is in the realms of possibility - for future visitation etc.
My wife already has dual citizenship: American/Italian. My son would be British/American, and I guess he could have italian too if there was any point. I'm British and don't really qualify for anything else. I'll be the one stuck in the foreigners queue at CBP while those two swan in through the US citizen line
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Irregular

My wife already has dual citizenship: American/Italian. My son would be British/American, and I guess he could have italian too if there was any point. I'm British and don't really qualify for anything else. I'll be the one stuck in the foreigners queue at CBP while those two swan in through the US citizen line
You don't have a green card/ never lived in USA?
Still married to the US wife? Want to live in USA?
You have possibilities...
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

You don't have a green card/ never lived in USA?
Still married to the US wife? Want to live in USA?
I have lived in the USA for a bit, but on an H1B. Yep, still married. Don't really want to live in the USA but if I got offered another job there I might consider it.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:41 pm
BE Irregular

Good. Well it is still possible for you to achieve US citizenship if your wife sponsors you and you live in the US a few years.

Somebody else can chime in as to why that would be worthwhile, as I don't have kids.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Route101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Both are visitor visas. Doubt if there is another suitable visa. How long did the n-600k take?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 12:23 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The ESTA/VWP should work for the N600K. The biggest risk is that the border guard isn't aware that a B2/WT is appropriate for someone who seeks to enter the US temporarily for the purpose of naturalization. It's a relatively obscure provision.

I'd be prepared to provide the information just in case.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

9 FAM 41.31 N14.6 Issuance of B-2 Visa for Expeditious Naturalization of a Child under INA 322
(CT:VISA-940; 03-24-2008)
a. Naturalization is a permissible activity in B-2 status. You may issue a B-2 visa to an eligible foreign-born child to facilitate that child's expeditious naturalization pursuant to INA 322. The child's intended naturalization, however, does not exempt the child from the requirements of INA 214(b); the child must intend to return to a residence abroad after naturalization. A child whose parents are residing abroad will generally overcome the presumption of intended immigration, whereas a child whose parents habitually reside in the United States will not.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Route101 is an unknown quantity at this point

So now that Junior is a US citizen, he has to leave!!
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Route101
Both are visitor visas. Doubt if there is another suitable visa.
It's just that the ESTA says for business or tourism, whereas the B-2 seems to apply for visiting in general (not that I really know that).

How long did the n-600k take?
It took about 9 months for the NYC office. Though we weren't in any particular rush.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
The ESTA/VWP should work for the N600K. The biggest risk is that the border guard isn't aware that a B2/WT is appropriate for someone who seeks to enter the US temporarily for the purpose of naturalization. It's a relatively obscure provision.
It would be a bit of an anomaly if there were no way of entering the US for the purpose of the naturalization for N-600K! However, if the CBP isn't aware of the exemption, then showing them the B-2 wording is pretty likely to lead them to ask where the B-2 is I would think.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Route101
So now that Junior is a US citizen, he has to leave!!
That isn't a problem, as that's the idea anyway. We only have until age 18 to apply for citizenship and after that the opportunity is lost and didn't want to take it away from him.

There is a slight complication there I believe. A US citizen must enter and exit the US using a US passport but he won't have one by the time of our flight back which is on the evening of the interview. Hopefully that won't be too much of a problem in this case
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

However, if the CBP isn't aware of the exemption, then showing them the B-2 wording is pretty likely to lead them to ask where the B-2 is I would think.
If he's admitted using the VWP in WT status (Waiver Tourist, as opposed to Waiver Business) then I think he can basically do whatever he would have been able to do with a B-2, so that shouldn't be a problem.

General question: what difference is there between B-2 and WT status, apart from the fact that someone using the VWP would be much easier to remove?

There is a slight complication there I believe. A US citizen must enter and exit the US using a US passport but he won't have one by the time of our flight back which is on the evening of the interview.
Does the US even take note of your passport when you leave? If so, I've never noticed.

Last edited by zerlesen; Sep 25th 2012 at 2:28 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.