Wikiposts

ESTA - other citizenships

Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ESTA - other citizenships

If I thought I was a citizen of a country I think I might want to find out.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ah... so these are hypothetical questions and not something with which you are currently struggling. You might have said so in your first post - because the responses you've received so far have been practical... not theoretical.

Ian
I disagree. There's nothing in the original post to suggest the question is anything but hypothetical.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a British citizen who happens to unwittingly also hold Irish citizenship through, say, a Belfast-born parent it's not going to a problem since both countries are in the VWP list.

Unless you were potentially a citizen of a 'red flag' country (e.g. Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, North Korea) I can't imagine it's going to be an issue and I would suggest you would know if you were a citizen of those countries or at least you would be aware of your ancestry and therefore the possibility.

It would also depend on how much weight the State Department gives to certain countries' nationality law. For instance South Korea is on the VWP list but as North Korea claims all members of the Korean diaspora as its citizens technically you could put that down as your other citizenship. However as this would affect all ethnic Koreans, including the 1.7 million currently residing in the US, it's unlikely this would be considered credible.