ESTA Entry Question

Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:55 am
Just Joined

adieknight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA Entry Question

hi guys,

Long time lurker on this forum but my first post. My company is currently setting up a subsidiary in the US that I will move to manage in 2015 (all being well with the E2 visa that is in the final stages of application).

I visited the US four times so far this year (one 2 week trip, and 3 one week trips) - 3 times to Chicago where my girlfriend is. On my most recent visit in October I got some fairly deep questioning by the desk officer about my job and how I knew the people I was seeing (I was attending a wedding).

That was the first time I'd have anything more than the usual "business or pleasure?". I thought it unusual, but it was only 10 days after a trip to Las Vegas so I thought it might be a frequency thing. Anyway, I did some Googling thereafter to find some horror stories of folk being refused entry when making multiple trips to same city, often with a significant other to visit.

I've just booked an 8 day trip to spend New Years in Chicago and to see my girlfriend and I've had a slight panic recalling some of those horror stories from others. Does anyone have any practical advice - should I be taking a letter from my employer stating I have a full time job to return to, or some other proof?

I've no plans to overstay or do anything stupid like marry without going through the proper process - I have a job to return to and a life in London.

Sorry - I realise this is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things. I'm just aware of how detrimental an entry refusal could be to potential future immigration and I'd just like some practical tips that might help me to relax when I'm in the line at O'Hare.

Thanks, and happy holidays

Adrian
Old Dec 10th 2014, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA Entry Question

Originally Posted by adieknight
I did some Googling thereafter to find some horror stories of folk being refused entry when making multiple trips to same city, often with a significant other to visit.
The reality, however, is that for every horror story you read, there are - literally - hundreds of thousands of people who have no issues. I understand, though, why you're choosing to focus on the 1% of travelers who have issues. That said, only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US... everyone else takes a chance.

Does anyone have any practical advice - should I be taking a letter from my employer stating I have a full time job to return to, or some other proof?
A letter is quite good evidence - so yes, bring it. If you own a home in the UK, bring some documentation of that also.

I've no plans to overstay or do anything stupid like marry without going through the proper process...
To clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting married while visiting the US on the VWP. It is perfectly legal and okay.

I'm just aware of how detrimental an entry refusal could be to potential future immigration...
A refusal at entry will have no bearing whatsoever on any potential future immigration plans you might have.

I'd just like some practical tips that might help me to relax when I'm in the line at O'Hare.
Since you ask, there's no reason to believe that you will be singled out by the CBP officer - because 99% of travelers are not. That said, answer only the questions asked, and neither elaborate nor volunteer information not specifically asked about.

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ian, appreciate the reply.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

If its any consolation - once (back in 2000) I got a bit of a grilling entering the US on VWP. Got sent to secondary and was asked lots of questions about the purpose of the trip, details of my itinerary etc, but eventually got through. I've been back to the US about 30 times on VWP since then and never had a problem.

I never did find out what was special about that one trip - something must have raised a red flag somewhere - or maybe its just a random screen - I don't know.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It should be noted that, often, many short visits with timely departure and a reasonable time in between visits actually shows the bona fides of non-immigrant intent.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both.

Indeed, that is what I thought - I'm purely going for holiday as evidenced by my one visit every quarter or so. I just got the impression in October that I was 'pushing it' by repeatedly going to Chicago. I guess I've just got to follow the rules (answer honestly but don't offer unnecessary extra info, be concise etc) and hopefully I sail on through.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:53 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I think 17 VW entries in 1 year is the most I have seen in a UK passport, mix of business and pleasure.