Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entry to US with greencard and foreign passport expiry date

Entry to US with greencard and foreign passport expiry date

Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entry to US with greencard and foreign passport expiry date

Hi everyone, I am a green card (permanent resident) holder and a UK citizen living in the USA. I am planning a trip to the UK in next month or two. My UK passport has about 6 months left on it.

My questions are:
1 - Does it matter to homeland security that I have 6 months or less left on my UK passport considering that I have a green card which has several more years on it?
2 - Do I need to renew my UK passport in advance to clear the 6 months (before any travel?)

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to US with greencard and foreign passport expiry date

I see this as two separate matters - your eligibility to enter the US, and the validity of your passport. The former comes through your green card, which I assume has no pending card expiry date. UK is not among those countries whose passport holders as subject to the 6-month validity rule, so you'd simply travel out and back . What I do not know is, would the airline let you check in for the flight in the UK without causing a fuss.

Regardless, the official blurb:
CBP site
CBP: The Six-Month Club
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You haven’t any problems if you simply travelling directly from the US to the UK and back again within the validity period of your passport.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savannah_boy
Hi everyone, I am a green card (permanent resident) holder and a UK citizen living in the USA. I am planning a trip to the UK in next month or two. My UK passport has about 6 months left on it.

My questions are:
1 - Does it matter to homeland security that I have 6 months or less left on my UK passport considering that I have a green card which has several more years on it?
2 - Do I need to renew my UK passport in advance to clear the 6 months (before any travel?)

Thanks in advance
1. The 6-month requirement applies to entering nonimmigrants with certain passports. You are not entering as a nonimmigrant; there is no such requirement for immigrants. And in fact, as far as the US government is concerned, you can enter on just a valid green card without a passport at all.
2. no
Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

It literally takes about 2 weeks to renew a UK passport, if you're worried about its validity.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savannah_boy

My questions are:

Thanks in advance
1 - No.
2 - Not if you're just going back to the UK.

I re-entered the US a few months ago as a LPR with two months left on my passport, it's not an issue at all.

Incidentally it took just over two weeks to renew my UK passport from the US. Sadly the UK government has just changed policy and you no longer get the up to 6 months unused time added to your new passport when renewing early.